Weird: A Gibson Jimi Hendrix Model... That's NOT a Flying V

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Nork
Orange Master

Re: Weird: A Gibson Jimi Hendrix Model... That's NOT a Flying V

Post by Nork » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:12 pm

CD9266 wrote: Agreed. They'd probably be even more so happy with a Squire or a Fender strat, as that's what Hendrix actually played. I think Gibson is going through that "80s Dean" phase where they just start throwing out any marketing idea they can come up with and see what sells.
case in point: the robot guitar.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 pm

I was hopeful when I saw this announcement that it would be something really interesting and tonally cool and most importantly new. Yes I thought it was silly that Gibson was making a hendrix guitar, but I thought they had more creativity than this. After all that psychedelic painted V was very cool.

Honestly I expected a new body style or something a little non hendrix looking that embodied the same spirit and adventures in sound that he brought. I did not expect a low end strat copy with a bunch of funny pack ins. Sure, do a little gimmick and flip a Les Paul or something upside down, but do something new. And for pete's sake don't slap a big logo on the guitar body. sigh. Someone bring a Townsend custom model in to smash it with please!
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote: To be honest, I doubt that thought crossed their minds at all when designing this. Any kid who is insprisded by Hendrix would be just as happy with a Squier Strat or something. This thing is just an ugly, cynical abomination!

I don't think the thought crossed their mind either, and it obviously is corporate greed.

Still, it most certainly will have some good things come out of it whilst attempting to line up the pockets of both gibson and the hendrix estate.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Wow. I've lost so much respect for Gibson lately..

I would much rather go Tokai or Edwards for all my "Gibson" guitar needs.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

gogoPilot2
Tiny Terror

Post by gogoPilot2 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm

You think this is because Jimi's Dad (family) don't get instrument royalties from Fender? I remember reading he got really screwed over at one point and ended up selling Jimi's actual fenders as "regular" used gear. Thoughts?

Tom
Tiny Terror

Post by Tom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 pm

For me a Fender Standard strat through a good amp is as good as any signature guitar for hendrix.

Get the right model + Valve amp + turn up + Technique = Hendrix
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender US Stratocaster
Orange Rocker 30
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squier Stratocaster
Roland Micro Cube
Yamaha SA500
Fender Blues Deville 4 x 10 (1995/Tweed)

studioproduced
Rocker

Post by studioproduced » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm

I think I just barfed a little. It seems to me like Gibson is on a sinking ship lately. They have been employing drastic tactics to try to save sales. How about stepping up Quality Control and lowering prices? A better guitar at a better price? Id buy it. But this designer stuff, a la Hendrix tribute and all the weird SG models and one offs is making me sick. No wonder my last two guitars have been used Fender. And as much as I loved my LP, I cant help but wonder if these are the final days for Gibson. I think especially in this economy (somewhat world wide), that people are not investing like they used to. Now, they are still going to make the money off of the "I just absolutely HAVE TO have a Gibson" people. So why not drop their prices? Its all crazy markup anyway. I went to school for economics and marketing, and I'm starting to see a scary "trend" with Gibson.

/end rant

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 pm

its stupidity like this that bastardises history, and idiots in the future will be like 'no, he played that gibson strat copy'... i think owning 'rights' to what guitar hendrix played is stupid - he played a fender and the model of choice was a strat

i accept he picked up a v at some point.. which was a gibson... its like esp makeing a hendrix signature v...

its just a lie?!...

dont get me wrong, someone can endorse a produt and it not be thier signature... but surely being in jimi's current situation, he's gunna struggle to endorse anything...
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:11 pm

He played Orange amps exclusively of course with that Gibson strat copy!

I just don't get Gibson lately. They are all over the place with new guitars. It seems like there is no single cohesive creative control over the company. Personally I think they should do the classic models they do best. Quit trying to make oddities, occasionally add limited edition colors make LPs and 335s and Vs. Give variety between models like a Standard and a Studio.

Seriously if they are going to do all these odd models when open up the Custom Shop again for custom orders from the average Joe. That would be cool!
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:32 pm

I just think it's Gibson way of saying thanks for buying us Fender! I think it's inevitable that this is going to happen pending a very large lawsuit.. :shock:
Vince

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 pm

That's straight blasphemy. What a bunch of cash whores.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:18 pm

The reality of it is, they're not going to sell those. It's going to be another dark period in Gibson's history, and they ought to be investing in designing guitars that are innovative and most importantly, embody the spirit of Gibson. Which is not a Strat copy and a bad looking one at that. Jimi is spinning like a lathe right now...

I think they would be better served by releasing MIJ Gibson-branded versions of some of their most popular guitars instead of the Epiphones. Sure it will cut into their Gibson USA made guitars but that's because the quality control is still nowhere near as good as the Asian imports but the Epi headstock and logo degrade the guitar unfortunately.

It's really sad actually, how out of touch they are- between what they think are guitars of the month and this, it's almost as if they're TRYING to ruin the company!

studioproduced
Rocker

Post by studioproduced » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Billy, I couldn't agree with you more! A line of lower price point Gibsons would be awesome. The Epiphones are nice but a bit degrading to the character of Gibson. I would spring for a made in Japan/lower priced Gibson.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 pm

i'd like to try one just to see what they're like compared to a fender, but really, if jimi's family really wanted a signature guitar jimi would be proud of, why didn't they just go to the actual company that made his original guitar?!
Liam

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 pm

howdy-doo wrote:i'd like to try one just to see what they're like compared to a fender, but really, if jimi's family really wanted a signature guitar jimi would be proud of, why didn't they just go to the actual company that made his original guitar?!
I thought they already DID go to Fender with an 'authorised' Experience Hendrix Strat?

http://www.grouseguitars.com.au/sold/fe ... xstrat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.grouseguitars.com.au/sold/mo ... xstrat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they didn't get enough money from the sales of those...