Difference between a tele and a strat in sound?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Difference between a tele and a strat in sound?

Post by Mrjones2004x » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

Just wondered whats the difference in sound mainly between a tele and a strat?

I like claptons sound in layla and a lot of his cream days but think a lot of that was an SG. Dont really know many songs by people who plays teles.

I think i'll get a strat one day but if someone can help with this answer would be great.
Tone is everything

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: Difference between a tele and a strat in sound?

Post by Wendigo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 am

Claptons sound on Layla was all Strat. Don't confuse his sound Duane Allman who also played slide all over the Layla album and mostly played Gibsons. Clapton played an SG back with Cream but after that it was pretty much exclusively a stratocaster. A tele has a bit more of a twang to it. Best thing to do is go and play a couple of them at a store.

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 am

a tele sounds like TWANG, a strat sounds like QUACK

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 am

MaxProphet wrote:a tele sounds like TWANG, a strat sounds like QUACK
Exactly what I was about to say ;)

Of course, either can sound *pretty much* however you want with the right pickup upgrade...
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 am

I guess id be suited more to a strat then? I play classic rock from the 70's and 80's. I normally use a LP and that covers most of my music influences but i think i need something softer not as thick, thats why im thinking single coils and either strat or tele. I dont like that chicken picking country stuff which is a teles speciality just wondered if there good for rock as well.

I like hendrix too even tho i dont play his stuff i like his sound and style. Im guessing as i dont know anyone who use a tele there prob not suited to me.

Well i know one band who use them, Slipknot! Its not your normal tele as it has emg 81-85 set.
Tone is everything

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:05 am

Mrjones2004x wrote:I dont like that chicken picking country stuff which is a teles speciality just wondered if there good for rock as well.
It's all in how you use it. Have a listen to our last album via the link below and tell me if it sounds thin and country-ish to you or not! All tracks are a single bi-amped Tele, no overdubs, no bass.

http://www.last.fm/music/Le+Chat+Noir/P ... rk+Highway
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:27 am

Yeah teles aren't just for picking. They're great rock & pop guitars too... see Keef, Status Quo etc. Sound can vary hugely according to the pickups you have in them.

For what you're doing - 70s and 80s covers - a Strat will probably be better. Get one you like the feel of, which feels resonant, then drop a set of Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups in. Classic Strat sound on tap, and all 5 positions are useable. Nice cleans, nice drive, and well balanced.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:41 am

From what you are saying a Strat would be a better choice for you.

Just go in to ANY music store and you will be able to play both......you will hear the difference immediately.......although you can almost get both to sound like the other!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 am

First Led Zeppelin album is Tele...

Teles can be really meaty sounding guitars.

Strats get that glassy in-between pickups sound which I hate but is the sound you're looking for for early Clapton and classic rock. You'd have a good workhorse guitar for what you do with a Strat. Get a Roadworn black Strat and you'll really channel that Clapton vibe!

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:01 pm

I actually do Weezers' 'Hash Pipe' and other 'heavy' songs with a stock Tele

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 pm

A Tele can sound Sweet and Tangy, but then get down right Nasty and Brutal. It's the guitar I use when I'm having trouble cutting through the mix on a certain song...
Vince

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Get both! :D

It's good advice to try a couple out in a shop and see what feels right to you.

Personally I have a Strat (the MIM classic player 60s) which is great value workhorse - great set-up out of the box. (I put on 2 extra trem springs (shipped with 3) to nail the bridge down to the body - gives it alittle more beef IMO.)

If it's clappers you're after then go for the strat... :D
Mark

BruceJ

Post by BruceJ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:52 pm

The following information is completely wrong. Teles and Strats have the same scale length 25.5 inches
Billy

One thing though, a Tele is easier to play, due to the scale length being shorter than a strat. If you play 9s on a les paul they will feel like 10s on a strat.
Rocker 30 Combo
AD5 Combo

http://www.youtube.com/gallowspoleband

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:14 pm

The Tele seems to have a more intense signal. If I got another Tele, I would put a humbucker in the neck position and start channelling Terry Kath. I found that a Tele is much easier to play than a Strat.

I agree that the between pickup sound on Strats has given me Strat fatigue, where I have gotten tired of that sound. The best thing about Cradle to the Grave by Clapton is he finally used some humbuckers for a change.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 pm

BruceJ wrote:One thing though, a Tele is easier to play, due to the scale length being shorter than a strat. If you play 9s on a les paul they will feel like 10s on a strat.
Not sure where you got this info from but it's wrong. Unless it's a custom order or a replacement neck, all Fenders have a 25.5" scale length except for the old stratasonic and telesonics.

Tele's rock harder than strats though, a nice med. weight alder tele is hard to beat. The body style, bridge and baseplate on the rear pickup just make for a killer combination. I see alot more tele's being used live than strats.