OT: Moving Overseas EDIT: going 14th Jan!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bink
Orange Master

Re: OT: Moving Overseas

Post by Bink » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:51 am

bclaire wrote:She might be able to find a job under the table, waitressing etc.

The dual citizenship thing will really work in your favor- get that sorted with a US passport and it will make life a bit easier. Down the road, if you had kids while in the US, they're automatically US citizens/ British citizens so that wouldn't be a bad thing either...
I've applied for and been verbally approved a US passport - just awaiting it in the post!!

Ironically, although long term the dual citizenship is a bonus, in the short term it's causing me visa difficulties for my fiancee as immigration doesn't look kindly on longer term visas for partners of USCs (if I was only a British Citizen and going across on a visa we'd be fine although she wouldn't be able to work). We've got a few options open to us though hopefully which we're currently exploring!
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Mossbank
Rocker

Post by Mossbank » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 am

I just found out that my three guitars and TT 1x12 cab have all arrived safe in NZ after an 8 week journey from the UK.

PHEW...

Now to get myself over there...

Spratty59
Tiny Terror

Post by Spratty59 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:34 pm

If i was in a career and they offered me a chance to move to the states i would be on that plane that very evening!

I know a few people in san antonio and hear it has a pretty good nightlife... I dont know if thats close to Houston though.
Rockerverb50
Orange 2x12
Fender American Tele w/ SeymoreDuncan JB humbucker in the neck!

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:01 pm

It's about 3 hours...Austin is closer and much better night life/music scene than San Antonio. Truth be told San Antonio sucks. Lot's of gang problems there.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Wow, 2 weeks to go! Moving to Houston on the 14th Jan!

Shipping's organised just waiting for it to be picked up, packed and taken away! Shipping my recording gear (iMac, MOTU 828 mk3 & Mackie VLz3 pro mixer) as well as my PRS. Both Oranges are staying in the UK sadly and my Yammy 12 string's coming on the plane with me. That's pretty much it, gear wise. Hoping to get myself a new acoustic when I'm out there.

Exciting (yet scary) times!
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Bink wrote:

Exciting (yet scary) times!
yeah, scary, i bet it is. it would feel so strange to move to another country.

good luck..

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: OT: Moving Overseas EDIT: going 14th Jan!

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Texas is probably the best place in the U.S. to be once the Second Civil War gets going. Texas will be well-defended and is populated by many self-reliant people. However, Houston will be the Loyalists' stronghold, so the farther you can live from downtown, the better. No matter what, you'll still have more freedom than you currently enjoy in the U.K.

In all seriousness, the trick to getting along with most Texans/Southerners is to smile and be humble. Also, never get caught without a beer in your hand. Watch NASCAR as frequently as possible and nod your head in agreement when others discuss the greatness of Dale Earnhardt Sr. (and Jr.). Learn to speak American whenever possible and don't use too many fancy words. Here are a few common translations that you may already be familiar with:

Petrol = Gas
Propane = Gas
Flatulence = Gas
Gear Acquisition Syndrome = G.A.S.
Boot = Trunk
Booty = Trunk
Bonnet = Hood
Bad Part of Town = (The) Hood
Pissed = Drunk
Angry = Pissed
Chips = (French) Fries
Crisps = (Potato) Chips
California Highway Patrol Officers = CHiPs

Even though you may find (some of) the people of America to be less-refined than those in England, it might surprise you on a daily basis how many decent people you will meet, especially in Texas. I've got a friend moving to Houston next month who works offshore for BP, so you may run into him. He's a total A-hole though (just kidding).

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

i'm with jon...that would be really weird. a buddy of mine move to AUS this year...i can't imagine. good luck!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks Guys!

Been travelling to Houston a lot in the last few years so have picked up a few things - plenty still to learn!

Most important thing is to figure out the best place to watch football (soccer) prior to the world cup! :mrgreen:
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:44 am

Just a few words of advice... Leave the pink shirts, the cuff links, and the Vespa behind! :P
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:00 am

Sooner wrote:Just a few words of advice... Leave the pink shirts, the cuff links, and the Vespa behind! :P
Oh, do I HAVE to?! :mrgreen:
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image