Trouble with making Tiny Terror and Fuzz Probe bond

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

esotericmaniac

Trouble with making Tiny Terror and Fuzz Probe bond

Post by esotericmaniac » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:10 pm

I was trying out a TT with my fuzz probe and it sounded worse than over my PA. If i want that fat Fuzz sound, will i have to turn down the whole gain or is there a better way? Seriously, it sounded pile of poop whatever i did.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:26 am

The thing with the TT is that its hi gain design means its already saturated the signal in the preamp, if you sent it a harmonically rich signal (fuzz) then the amp has little or nothing left to give because it has already exceeded its operating voltage to clip. You can try running with the gain well down and the volume up, it will likely sound better but if your fuzz box has a level out control you will need to keep that down some too.
Some folks find the TT is not the best amp with Drive pedals generally but some work better that others and the best tip is to not hit the front end with too much signal level.

HTH.
Here we go; three, four...

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 am

+1 i think the problem is that your TT breaks up and with gain up whats happening is your adding fuzz to dirt and it just sounds terrible

try turning down the gain to 12 o clock or lower and your fuzz should sound better but with the TT i would be more inclined to forget about the fuzz and just play the amp as it is but thats just my humble opinion.

overdrive and boost pedals seem to work better with the amp.

another thing you could do is replace your 12ax7 pre-amp tube in the V1 position with a 12au7 (lower gain breaks up later) so you may get more clean volume with which you could use the fuzz but i havent done this so i couldnt say with complete certainty

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Swapping the 12AU7 will not work, because it will just limit the overall signal passing from the 1st gain stage to the second and then into the power section. It will actually take away a lot of distortion from the amp, and using a fuzz/distortion will only be attempting to get back to your initial gain level. The best alternative is to get another amp and run them both in stereo. This works well!!
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Mauro Samuel

Post by Mauro Samuel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:56 am

bfitz wrote:+1 i think the problem is that your TT breaks up and with gain up whats happening is your adding fuzz to dirt and it just sounds terrible

try turning down the gain to 12 o clock or lower and your fuzz should sound better but with the TT i would be more inclined to forget about the fuzz and just play the amp as it is but thats just my humble opinion.

overdrive and boost pedals seem to work better with the amp.

another thing you could do is replace your 12ax7 pre-amp tube in the V1 position with a 12au7 (lower gain breaks up later) so you may get more clean volume with which you could use the fuzz but i havent done this so i couldnt say with complete certainty
I bought a TT Head this week and at the first time I used my JH-1 fuzz face I did not like it. Today I tried again and got very good results!! As said before, you need to turn the gain down a bit and take care with the fuzz volume too. I set my fuzz face with max fuzz but not too much vol and control everything with my strat volume pot. I got a real wonderfull fuzz sound with a lot of colour tones, and some great tones with my strat pot around 5, I think the secret is to master the amp gain, but the more important is the fuzz and guitar volume setings. Anything not set with care in that chain can make your sound awful. I use my fuzz face as the first effect in chain that's very important too. My set up in that test was: Fuzz Face JH-1 ----- VOX WHA ------ OCD (set as booster but not turned on toguether with the fuzz).

spewing
Rocker

Post by spewing » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:42 pm

Big Muff sends my AD30 into full clip... nothing comes out of the amp but a low fundamental.

I had to lower the output of the muff drastically, turn the tone all the way up and use the bridge pickup to get a usuable sound...

It is kind of fun in a very out of control way.

If you turn the master up and the gain down the fuzz is fine, but that usually is not an option if you are driving the amp for distortion.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:00 pm

My Rockerverb 50 HATES my Big Muff (of course it doesn't really like any OD / distortion pedals). If I set the Big Muff in that really cool max setting it starts feeding back really bad (just on my RV50). My little Epi Valve Jr eats it up though...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;