New here and - Another PPC112 or PPC212 for TT Advice Please

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

GaryM

New here and - Another PPC112 or PPC212 for TT Advice Please

Post by GaryM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi all and what an honour it is to be accepted into this forum.

Just a little history :- I've been playing for around 2 years now and still loving it so the Missus finally let me go and buy my TT and PPC112 cab to go with it. How happy am I?

My first amp was a Line 6 75 Spider III but this ended up on ebay after 3 months of buying it for obvious reasons that I won't go into here. After I'd learned a very harsh lesson there, I went out and bought a 90's Peavey 212 Special. 200watt Transtube. Not a valve in sight but wow... What an amp. I still have my peavey because I love it and it's a proper power house for large venues. But now I have my First Orange amp and I am so pleased with it. The sounds I get from this thing are amazing and sometimes I'd be playing for a couple of hours or so when suddenly the amp would sound very harmonious if you get my meaning. It's like it's warmed to its peak and now it's singing. I've never had that from and amp before but I think I understand what all the fuss is about now.

Anyway.... I've babbled on enough I think.

I currently have a 1X12 PPC112 and I now have an opportunity to get another one. This got me thinking though because I thought if I sold mine then with the extra cash I could probably afford the PPC212.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated because I really don't have a clue. If you had the choice what would you prefer or would there not be much in it. What, if anything, can I expect to gain from this. If I had two 16ohm Cabs would I plug each one into one of the 8 ohm’s on the TT.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Gary

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum!

Glad you're enjoying the TT, it's a great little amp. I think you'd be happy with either to be honest. A few people on here have gone down the 2x112 route and opened the back of one of the cabinets to provide a slightly different flavour. It also gives you the choice of taking only a 1x12 with you if you don't need the second speaker. It also makes a cool little stack to have 2 1x12s! :D

Pros for the 2x12 are that you'll probably get a better bass response.

I run my TT with a PPC112 and through the 1x12 of my AD15 combo and it sounds great together - I have different speakers in both which also helps to provide a slightly different sound.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 pm

the PPC212 is an awesome cab, don't waste your time with two 1x12 cabs, yeah, it might look cool, but your gonna get a much more full bodied tone/sound from a single 2x12

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:39 pm

If you want to get some sound thrown up at your ears, get another 1x12 or else turn the 2x12 on its side...

I am biased, though.
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Must say, "That looks a bit sexy". Edging towards another 1 X 12 for looks alone so far unless anyone can change my mind.

Am I right in saying I'm gona get more base from a 2X12. Does having two 1 X 12 not give a bit more bottom end.

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:10 pm

You actually will get more bass response from a 2x12 cabinet that sits on the floor. However, I found that with 2 PPC112s I am not lacking in bass or projection. So, I can hear myself a bit better. Plus, I LOVE the way it looks.

Now, as a cab I think the PPC212 is more complex. There is something about the interplay between speakers when they are in the same cabinet. Yet, It is easier for me to carry a PPC112 around (even if I have to make an extra trip) than lugging around a 212.

I promise you though, as long as you stick with an Orange cabinet, you will not be let down. They are rock solid cabinets, built well, and they have excellent projection.

Let us know what you decide. Cheers.
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 pm

I would also urge you to check out avatar cabs. I've never played an Orange cab so I couldn't tell you what difference there is, but Avatar makes some awesome cabs, and are not quite as expensive as Orange cabs. Plus you can choose whatever combination of speakers you want. Just something to think about, as both would be awesome!

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 pm

fleas got a point.. but im guessing ur based in england, so avatar isnt worth it...

ive got 2 ppc112's.. and i like the fact i can grab 1 quickly if needs be... and its very portable, fits in the car easily..

if i were you, for the bigger gigs, i'd ditch the peavey, and mic the single cab.. raising it up off the ground so its not playing to your knees...

opening the back on the cab makes a difference too... gives a more open tone..

if you;ve got the cash... i'd get a 2x12 angled matamp cab... they were selling some for about 1.5 times what a ppc112 cab goes for a few months ago.. i think they were lightly used brand new condish..

i dont think u'll get a thin tone from the tt and ppc112.. and for covering bass, u could eq some in when micing, and also have the bass player fattening up the whole tone of the band....
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 am

Wow.. That’s given me lots to think about. Still not decided on what to get yet. It’s got to be orange though. I currently have my 1X12 on an amp stand so it’s at head height when I’m sat down and at a slight angle so I’m Not getting much bass at all at the moment so I figured if I get another 1 X12, one would be on the floor giving some base whilst the other would be on top giving the rest. Does that make sense?

Is the 212 16 ohm. If so, would I be able to use the 212 and 112 together from the 8ohm plugs on the back of my TT? That way I would get the best of both worlds. I’ve told the missus that if I get the 212 I would sell the 112 to help pay for it but once the 212 arrives I’ll help her to forget about the 112 with some serious butt kissing and a box of chocolates.

Yes I am in the UK. My main guitar is a Hamer Sunburst Q/T XT series. It sounds great through the TT both clean and driven. It currently has a pair of those Duncan Designed humbuckers which personally I think sound fantastic but it’s been suggested to me on a few occasions to drop them out and put some genuine Semours in. Still thinking about that one but I’ve been on the tone tester on Semours site and I’m even more unsure now.

Will I be increasing Volume with another Cab or 212?

Orangina

Post by Orangina » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 am

I would vote for the 2x12. I found that it has a better bass response and doesn't have that boxyness the 1x12 has. Its just bigger in every way.

As well, if you ever get any other heads you're not limited to lower watt amps. I have a Marshall 2203 and it would destroy a 1x12 whereas is just loves the 2x12.

2x12 has more mojo too. The logo is a better quality :)

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:24 am

It's looking like the 212 is going to get my attention. Can I use it with my current 112?

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:01 pm

Orangina wrote:I would vote for the 2x12. I found that it has a better bass response and doesn't have that boxyness the 1x12 has. Its just bigger in every way.

As well, if you ever get any other heads you're not limited to lower watt amps. I have a Marshall 2203 and it would destroy a 1x12 whereas is just loves the 2x12.

2x12 has more mojo too. The logo is a better quality :)
plus 100,000,000

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:34 am

Deal done. This Saturday morning I go and pick up my new PPC212. How excited am I? Although I’ve been told I won’t need my PPC112 anymore, it would be nice to try the two together for experimental purposes if nothing else.
I will probably keep it on my amp stand but I tried my 112 on the floor last night and I can’t believe the difference in the sound. I knew I would get a different sound, I just didn’t realise it would be so different. The floor in my music room is carpeted as well so I suppose that would make quite a difference.
Is there anything I need to know about the 212. I.E. as standard is it 16ohm. Are there two sockets on the back and if so, can I plug into either of them.
I’ve also noticed that orange do an open back version of this cab. Surly it’s best to buy the closed cab then you have the choice of taking the back off if you want it to be open??

Anyway, thanks for all your help on this. I feel I’ve made the right decision and can’t wait to get it plugged into my TT.

Cheers

GaryM

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm

haha dude you should run 312's that would look pretty nifty (a mini tower of orange!).

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 am

That is something I'm trying to get answers on. Would I be able to run both a 212 and 112 at the same time from the 8ohms on the TT.