Cats & Grill cloth

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kungfu
Orange Expert

Cats & Grill cloth

Post by kungfu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:41 am

Hi all,

I'm getting married in two weeks and going to move all of my amps to our new house. Since we have two cats, I'm wondering if they may use my amps' grill cloth to sharpen their claws.

What are your experiences?

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:14 am

My older cat never thought of the Orange grill as a scratching post, but my girlfriend and I just adopted a kitten... she's a little brat!!!! She thinks the front is just a great scratching post, and she thinks the open cab in the back is just a little hideaway.

I keep it up on an amp stand, she's unable to do anything but jump up and lay on top of it there.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 am

Never had any problems with my cats, but they are all different.

If you want to keep cats off something (and I'm serious about this!), you'll find they HATE the smell of citrus fruits. If they appear to be interested you could always try rubbing a bit of orange peel over the amp / grillcloth... :lol:

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Just got my Fender Champ 12 back from lending it to my nephew and the tolex is totally scratched up from their cat. Basically, any value that it had being snakeskin tolex is ruined.

Get covers and religiously put them on the amp....

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 pm

cats will be cats

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes they will scratch it. Save future grief, knock 'em in the head.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 pm

I had a cat that when when she was a kitten would chew the knobs on my Fender Acoustisonic... Drove me nuts. Just cover your amps for now..
Vince

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:47 pm

a tiny bit "off topic", but my Peavey Bravo 112 (amazing amp BTW) was totally chewed up by a dog, he ate half the tolex off one corner/front edge, even got down into the wood a bit. iv since rehoused it into a slightly bigger Peavey box along with the original speaker and reverb tank.

and yeah, cats will be cats. as mentioned above "cats DON'T like citrus" so if the problem does get out of hand try getting one of them Glade plug in things (citrus scented) and plug it in near the amp, up-close, maybe on a power strip, it might keep the cat away from it, or as Billy mentioned, "get a cover and cover it religiously"

good-luck...

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Jacco428
Orange Master

Post by Jacco428 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:47 pm

I use cover on all my amps. besides that I keep my amps in a room that my cats can't enter (without me being in it)
I know my cats - they ruin everything. not only by scratching, but also by vomiting over stuff...
I love them though...

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:35 am

This why I'm not a Cat person!

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:12 am

My friend, Keith, tells the story of how his dad taught him to swim by throwing him in a lake- he says the swimming part was easy- fighting his way out of the bag of cats was the tough part!

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:02 am

my cat's efforts are futile since he is sans front claws. But it doesn't stop him from pretending to destroy my Orange beauty.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:53 am

I'm happy to open this thread, thank you for the answers and the interesting stories :D

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:51 pm

there is other options as-well :lol:

but if i were you, id go with the Citrus air freshener and or amp cover first, and see how that works out.

Just kidding BTW, i LOVE cats, just thought this would fit this topic just perfectly, LOL!!!

oh, and BTW, thats my photo, kitten and .22 cal. the cute little kitten was never harmed in any way. she is all grown up and doing very well to this day.

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

tkdmusician

Post by tkdmusician » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:16 am

every cat is different........fortunately i've had no problems with my guitars, amps, or drums being scratched up by our cats........

but our leather furniture and wooden tables are another story as they're demolished.......and our scratching posts look like they're brand new - go figure. and i have one cat that goes nuts for my guitar cases - especially if he can get inside to the lining.

as for citrus.....our other cat goes crazy for it. he absolutley loves fruit and vegetables. his favorites: melon, baby carrots, and lettuce. weirdest cat. he actually once, came upon my turkey sandwich on the table....skipped over the turkey and ran away with a romaine heart in his mouth, parading around like a proud hunter.....

hard to predict what each cat will or won't like.......foil deters some, citrus others, apples deter one of ours, one likes water, one hates water.