The funniest music video, the crappiest band I've heard in a

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

crguti

Post by crguti » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 am

I just read the following comment in youtube about the video:
"I sincerely hope that every "band" member, every person that had a hand in producing this festering bucket of sh*t and anyone that in any way has anything to do with this "band" is anally raped by a lion, a bear, a crocodile and Amy Winehouse, then tortured until death with a set of miniature pliers and a blowtorch."
... I laughed so hard... XD

crguti

Post by crguti » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 am

Terrible Smells Like Teen Spirit Cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Dwuhmk ... re=related

Worst song ever. Supposed to be "ambient black metal"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-eBzbth40&NR=1

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 pm

crguti wrote:Terrible Smells Like Teen Spirit Cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Dwuhmk ... re=related

Worst song ever. Supposed to be "ambient black metal"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-eBzbth40&NR=1

Smells like teen spirit is a horrible song, let alone the cover.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:27 pm

I STILL LIKE IT
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:03 pm

adamanteus wrote:the other member you mentioned was referring to NEW bands who classify themselves as hardcore.

so no offense to him but, NO those bands are not hardcore. hardcore was a movement, a lifestyle, a commitment and a brotherhood that went away and lives pretty much only now in lifestyle choice and lives on in the original hardcore bands music. there is no such thing as a new hardcore band. it's like saying a band from 2006 is punk. it cannot and will not ever be the same thing. or it's like some 15 year old girl today saying she is a hippie. sorry that time and movement has passed.

being influenced by it is one thing but, to try to latch onto it ain't happening.

go to see a bad brains/ agnostic front/ cro-mags show and you'll learn what it was all about. FWIW i just saw the cro-mags last month...amazing still.
Well, I guess I have to just disagree with you. There's no doubt that 99% of music labeled "hardcore" isn't at all what hardcore was/is. But I do believe there have been bands that have carried the flag for hardcore, both in its sonic trademarks as well as its DIY/ethical trademarks, outside of the original movements from D.C. and California (bay area and So-Cal).

In the mid '90's there was a good hardcore movement here in Ann Arbor, Michigan built around the +/- Records label (a name that's been used by other bands/labels, so don't confuse it). In the late '90's and into the first half of this decade, there was a pretty big resurrection of the positive attitude movement started by bands like Bad Brains and Insted, especially out of the Boston area. And bands like Cursed, From Ashes Rise, and F*cked Up have carried the flag, so to speak, in more recent years.

No, it's not the same, it's not as powerful, and it might not be as meaningful, but that doesn't mean it isn't good or it isn't worth listening to. Yeah, it's definitely more powerful to recount the story of a band like Minor Threat, or Black Flag, or Dead Kennedys, or Minutemen, or Cro-Mags... etc. Those are all great bands that paved a way for so many other bands. But there are still a few good acts from the last 15-20 years that have flown under the radar, doing their best to keep hardcore alive, both in sound and in DIY spirit.
- Nathan

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:05 pm

I just really like the chugga-chugga-chugga, followed by the melodic guitars with way too much compression, followed by screaming, followed by pre-pubescent Fall Out Boy/Jonas Brothers vocals, back to chugga, and then to... disco?

And the choreographed dance moves are amazing.
- Nathan

darkpelican

Post by darkpelican » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_XWJPlRKM

Best cover ever. I literally lose it when the breakdown comes. With the singer doing a death stomp to inform everyone else its time to get BRUTAL, and the jogging in place that precedes it.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Good god, why are there so many bands that look and sound like this?
- Nathan

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:07 pm

nguideau wrote:Good god, why are there so many bands that look and sound like this?
At some point when I was on tour, 80% of local bands in other towns were this and it was starting to look pretty bleak.

I recall one band stuffing their pants...

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 pm

chrismathewsjr wrote:
nguideau wrote:Good god, why are there so many bands that look and sound like this?
At some point when I was on tour, 80% of local bands in other towns were this and it was starting to look pretty bleak.

Bring back the animated GIF. :lol:
- Nathan

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:10 pm

say what you want about attack attack, but they are out on the road touring all of the country playing music. I'm sure they're making pretty decent money for what they're doing as well. How many people on these forums can say that?
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm

nguideau wrote:
chrismathewsjr wrote:

Bring back the animated GIF. :lol:
I got a little worried someone would think it were me. :)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 pm

billynightingale wrote:say what you want about attack attack, but they are out on the road touring all of the country playing music. I'm sure they're making pretty decent money for what they're doing as well. How many people on these forums can say that?
So the scale that we weigh success by is Money.... OK. I really don't care that they are making more money then me. They look like A$$ Clowns. and they will probably piss away all their money and end up on the street, because they probably don't have and business sense or wisdom like most Over Night success story artists. Also teachers make sh!t for money and do one of the most thankless jobs in this world, so your money argument is Sh!te!:evil:
Vince

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Drdos wrote:
billynightingale wrote:say what you want about attack attack, but they are out on the road touring all of the country playing music. I'm sure they're making pretty decent money for what they're doing as well. How many people on these forums can say that?
So the scale that we weigh success by is Money.... OK. I really don't care that they are making more money then me. They look like A$$ Clowns. and they will probably piss away all their money and end up on the street, because they probably don't have and business sense or wisdom like most Over Night success story artists. Also teachers make sh!t for money and do one of the most thankless jobs in this world, so your money argument is Sh!te!:evil:
no, success is measured in how you feel about yourself. If they feel successful and happy with their place in the world, then more power to them.
All I'm saying, is they're out there doing what loads of people around here don't get(and possibly won't get) the chance to do.

I will never understand all the unnecessary hate people give music just because they don't like it. All people are different, therefore it falls to logic that all people will have different taste in music. Some people hate it, some people love it, and that is what makes the world go round. If I don't like something, I will simply pass on listening to it again, no big deal. I don't feel the need to rant about how "terrible" a band is. They're tight, they're touring, they're making money, and they draw crowds at the shows they play.

For the record, I am not an attack attack fan. I just really get annoyed by people bashing other musicians because they aren't fans of the style.

And on another note, people don't mean to offend by labeling music. Have you ever also thought it possible that music genres evolve just like everything else? There are still a few oldschool hardcore bands out there, but many bands like this are labeled hardcore either for lack of better words, or simply because people feel that genres evolve and change, just like everything else.
Last edited by billynightingale on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:43 pm

billynightingale wrote:
Drdos wrote:
no, success is measured in how you feel about yourself. If they feel successful and happy with their place in the world, then more power to them.
All I'm saying, is there out there doing what loads of people around here don't get(and possibly won't get) the chance to do.

I will never understand all the unnecessary hate people give music just because they don't like it. All people are different, therefore it falls to logic that all people will have different taste in music. Some people hate it, some people love it, and that is what makes the world go round. If I don't like something, I will simply pass on listening to it again, no big deal. I don't feel the need to rant about how "terrible" a band is. They're tight, they're touring, they're making money, and they draw crowds at the shows they play.

For the record, I am not an attack attack fan. I just really get annoyed by people bashing other musicians because they aren't fans of the style.

And on another note, people don't mean to offend by labeling music. Have you ever also thought it possible that music genres evolve just like everything else? There are still a few oldschool hardcore bands out there, but many bands like this are labeled hardcore either for lack of better words, or simply because people feel that genres evolve and change, just like everything else.
Quit being a reasonable human being, that doesn't fit in here.