My bad luck continues, but I'm still alive

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mre1208
Orange Expert

My bad luck continues, but I'm still alive

Post by mre1208 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Last night, around 9 p.m. my dad and I were heading to Rodman Reservoir to do some night fishing as sort of a stress relief trip for all the bullshit I've endured over the past month or so...as we headed south on SR19 (in a 60mph zone), a drunk driver from the northbound lane apparently somehow did not see us, or thought he could make it, and tried to drive his ford ranger into the entrance of a wal-mart, directly in our path...my dad began to ease over in hopes of the other driver slowing/stopping, but it didn't happen. fortunately, my dad saw the concrete pillar holding street lights that was on the right, and quit easing over and decided he was going to have to hit the other vehicle....we smashed into the ranger (we were in a 2006 F-150) and still only missed the concrete pillar on my side by less than 2 feet...which would have surely killed me...after realizing we were [relatively] ok, we fled the smoking vehicle, but didn't have time to recover when we realized the driver of the other vehicle wasn't up an moving...we rushed to the ranger and, with the help of an onlooker, managed to pull the man (who we found sprawled and bleeding across his entire front seat) from the car and try to keep him safe and clean until rescue came. he was eventually life-flighted from and we've been told he has a broken leg, numerous deep cuts, head trauma, and lost one of his ears, but should make a recovery. At the time, adrenaline kept us from feeling really hurt, other than a few cuts or bruises, but an hour or so later, and even more so this morning, horrible upper back and neck pain is kicking in, so off to the doctor I will go shortly...but that's beyond the point. The real point is that I've never felt so lucky, or so happy, that my father and I are alive. As we approached the vehicle it felt like slow motion switching between the other car and that concrete pillar, wondering which one was going to kill either my father or I. Somehow, we all survived. I don't think I can take life for granted any more.

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Wow...glad you and your dad are ok and I hope the drunk guy gets what he deserves. That's such a gruesome image, thinking one of you was going to die and wondering which.

I read your other threads so I have some idea of what you're going through. I really really hope things start looking up for you soon man. It may be hard to think positively, but that's what you gotta do now.

Again, happy to hear you're both ok.
Josh

Mono
Orange Expert

Post by Mono » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:54 pm

I am so glad to hear that things turned out OK.
Some serious quick thinking by your Dad though.
I hope things pick up for you soon and your luck continues to change from the bad to the good kind.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:55 pm

You hear so many stories of the drunk driver getting away "scott free", and while I don't wish harm on anyone, I'm glad it didn't end up with you guys getting killed because of someone else's bad decision making.

Glad you're still with us!

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm so relieved to hear you got out alive!

That slow motion thing will stay with you for a very long time.....

Make sure you are really checked over because things can set in later.

It will bring you and your Dad even closer.......he would have only been thinking about YOU in those moments and you should cherish the rest of your time together in this life....it's so easily taken away.
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Glad you and your dad are ok x
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syrinx
Rocker

Post by syrinx » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Glad you are OK too...much to be thankful for considering the circumstances. My wife was in a head on collision not too long ago in which both cars were totalled, and I am thankful that she is still here.
Scott

PRS Custom 24 into an Orange AD30

http://www.myspace.com/stillwaterlive

mre1208
Orange Expert

Post by mre1208 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:48 pm

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:52 pm

You gotta look at it in a positive light...

Things are looking down AND you wrecked, but your dad and you are ok. That's really all you can hope for at the end of the day. Glad you made out ok...
Last edited by blackcloud45 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Awesome story! Great to hear you guys are OK, and this event could change this other gentleman's life for the positive hopefully. You could only hope.
Vince

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Very glad you are okay. It would suck to not have you come back and visit us from time to time. People do dumb **** and I've just accepted that people are gonna do dumb ****.

How I view it is dumb **** = land mines. Try to avoid the land mines.

Did you have to sell the Blues Boy yet? I hope not cause it looks amazing in that picture.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

mre1208
Orange Expert

Post by mre1208 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 pm

CD9266 wrote:Very glad you are okay. It would suck to not have you come back and visit us from time to time. People do dumb **** and I've just accepted that people are gonna do dumb ****.

How I view it is dumb **** = land mines. Try to avoid the land mines.

Did you have to sell the Blues Boy yet? I hope not cause it looks amazing in that picture.
the bluesboy made it into the hands of its new owner on thursday :(

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:22 am

I hope the new owner takes care of him then. Just remember that there's other fish in the sea. All are unique in their own special ways.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 am

There is nothing like the big stuff (a near death experience) to put the small stuff into perspective. I'm glad you came out of this relatively okay.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iwantanorangeamp
Orange Expert

Post by iwantanorangeamp » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 am

Wow, glad you're here to tell the story, and that things didn't end any worse. I hope the other guy makes a full recovery also, but man, I hope he's never allowed behind the wheel of a car again.
HI, my real name is Reo. I live in Dallas Texas and play an 82 American Strat through an AD30HTC through a Marshall 4X12