Skreddy Screw Driver Vs. Zendrive

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WannaBmyself
Tiny Terror

Skreddy Screw Driver Vs. Zendrive

Post by WannaBmyself » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey guys,

Looking for an awesome overdrive (that also makes people jealous when you tell them you have one). Researched these 2, about the same price, but the Skreddy has a 4 month wait and who knows how long the Zendrive wait is.

Which one is more worth it?
'93 Gibson Les Paul Standard | Breedlove Studio C250/EO | Ampless again...

...and The Rumsfield

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:14 pm

I've heard awesome things about the zendrive!

Check out gearmandudes demos of it.
Jamie T

Julian_V

Post by Julian_V » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm

....neither, in my opinion. If that's the sound you desire, I'd procure one of these -
http://www.customtonesinc.com/Home_Page.php

WannaBmyself
Tiny Terror

Post by WannaBmyself » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Julian_V wrote:....neither, in my opinion. If that's the sound you desire, I'd procure one of these -
http://www.customtonesinc.com/Home_Page.php
Not exactly what I'm looking for. The Skreddy and Zendrive seem to be pretty user friendly and... well, I'm an idiot when it comes to dialing things in if they're not 100% self-explanatory.

...and The Rumsfield

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Either would be great. There is no wait on alf's pedals now adays. It depends on what you need the pedal for? Leads?
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

WannaBmyself
Tiny Terror

Post by WannaBmyself » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:01 pm

TJ_Lee wrote:Either would be great. There is no wait on alf's pedals now adays. It depends on what you need the pedal for? Leads?
Yeah, man. I wanted a pedal that I could take with me places that maybe I couldn't take my amp. A versatile, transparent, decent gain overdrive. I like my TS9 for gaining up my RV50s lead channel, but I also wanted something different. Something non-TS9-oriented, ya know?

...and The Rumsfield

WannaBmyself
Tiny Terror

Post by WannaBmyself » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:01 pm

TJ_Lee wrote:Either would be great. There is no wait on alf's pedals now adays. It depends on what you need the pedal for? Leads?
Yeah, man. I wanted a pedal that I could take with me places that maybe I couldn't take my amp. A versatile, transparent, decent gain overdrive. I like my TS9 for gaining up my RV50s lead channel, but I also wanted something different. Something non-TS9-oriented, ya know?

...and The Rumsfield

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:51 pm

i like the tc electronic vintage distortion... it goes from clean boost to fuzz..

very amp like, cleans up with picking dynamics and the volume knob..

it really is a versatile pedal that i use often when not using my amp..

i used it as a treble boost today, gain low, level high and tone full.. got great results!..

its dead silent when on, even at high gain settings..

its the same pedal as the t-rex mud honey...

which if your looking for demo's, they're more readily available!..

i dont know if people are jelous of t rex/tc electronic owners?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:00 am

WannaBmyself wrote:
Hmm sounds good man. I really really like the zendrive due to the fact that it is transparent, and with the right amp...it sounds like part of the circuit. It doesn't have that nasty mid hump and it retains all of your low end! The zendrive is smooth, dark and super thick sounding. Get one directly from alf, he is awesome.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Have you tried the EmmaReezafritz? that's the pedal I would recommend.
Vince

WannaBmyself
Tiny Terror

Post by WannaBmyself » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:39 pm

I pulled the trigger on the Zendrive last night. Got a really nice guy on TGP gave me a great deal on a superb-looking one. I'll let you guys know what I think of it with the RV50. Should be interesting.

Skreddy Screw Driver is what my next pay check will go to... :P

...and The Rumsfield

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:42 am

a little late to the party on this one, but I wouldn't really think the screwdriver and zendrive to be comparable. The zendrive is made to try and capture that whole dumble sort of sound. Smooth and cutting leads. The screwdriver is kind of like what would happen if you crossed an overdrive and fuzz pedal, and isn't too smooth sounding. The screwdrivers sound has never really appealed to my ear at all. I also don't think I would call the zendrive transparent, though it is a very good sounding pedal.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

WannaBmyself
Tiny Terror

Post by WannaBmyself » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 pm

billynightingale wrote:a little late to the party on this one, but I wouldn't really think the screwdriver and zendrive to be comparable. The zendrive is made to try and capture that whole dumble sort of sound. Smooth and cutting leads. The screwdriver is kind of like what would happen if you crossed an overdrive and fuzz pedal, and isn't too smooth sounding. The screwdrivers sound has never really appealed to my ear at all. I also don't think I would call the zendrive transparent, though it is a very good sounding pedal.
I guess they're not really comparable. I was a little caught up in the awe-factor of a custom built/ordered unit, ya know? But honestly I was just looking for something new and exciting. Figured on of 'em would do it. Just wanted to see what the peanut gallery thought about 'em. I'll let you know how I feel about the Zen. :P

...and The Rumsfield

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:31 pm

WannaBmyself wrote:
billynightingale wrote:a little late to the party on this one, but I wouldn't really think the screwdriver and zendrive to be comparable. The zendrive is made to try and capture that whole dumble sort of sound. Smooth and cutting leads. The screwdriver is kind of like what would happen if you crossed an overdrive and fuzz pedal, and isn't too smooth sounding. The screwdrivers sound has never really appealed to my ear at all. I also don't think I would call the zendrive transparent, though it is a very good sounding pedal.
I guess they're not really comparable. I was a little caught up in the awe-factor of a custom built/ordered unit, ya know? But honestly I was just looking for something new and exciting. Figured on of 'em would do it. Just wanted to see what the peanut gallery thought about 'em. I'll let you know how I feel about the Zen. :P
enjoy, sir! It is a pretty cool little box.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:46 pm

And you're playing buckers too. You're going to enjoy this thing. Search up zendrive on youtube and look for the morning tune up guy. He uses a les paul and it is actually the best recording I've heard of the ZD.