So I Got the Fender Super Six Head...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:52 am

Get a pair of these at 16 Ohm and make an 8 Ohm cab to reduce the power a little (if the amp has an 8 Ohm tap) rated at 60wRMS each they are lightweight and powerful with a reasonable tone (deliberatly subjective description). I still wouldn't run the amp at full power for repeated long periods into that speaker load but for all normal purposes they would sound nice in a 2x10 open back (although they would lack real bass, they would scream guitar tones).

Celestion G10 Vintage 16ohm 10" Guitar Speaker

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/in ... ucts_id=87
Here we go; three, four...

iwantanorangeamp
Orange Expert

Post by iwantanorangeamp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:42 pm

guitarmy50 wrote:Very cool! How did you get ahold of a Super Six head? I've never seen that...one of my all time favorite Fender amps, but I would never lug a 6x10 around.
Found it on craigslist for $400. Apparently someone agreed w/ you, that 6x10 is way too big, because it was cut down from a combo to a head.
Not sure what you're using the amp for, but I have a super six that I run at half power using just two 6L6s. Sounds much better at lower volumes and breaks up better at high volumes.
Good point. How about one of these?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1211619783.html

If I got one, I could run the amp at half OR full power without changing cabs. According to the seller, the speakers are basically eminence Legend GB128s so,

1)Do you think I should go for less "British flavored" speakers with the Fender?
2)Is the wattage enough?
HI, my real name is Reo. I live in Dallas Texas and play an 82 American Strat through an AD30HTC through a Marshall 4X12

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 pm

For that price you could get an Avatar cab, and I've heard very mixed reviews on the Line 6 cabs (some love them, but some hate them and have said anything through them sounds bad). I'd be careful about the Flextones.

Avatar could be a great option, seriously. Going half-power into one of their 2x12" cabs could be very cool, and I bet you could find some cosmetics that would fit your desired look (that's my thinking though, just a suggestion :))

iwantanorangeamp
Orange Expert

Post by iwantanorangeamp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:44 pm

For that price you could get an Avatar cab, and I've heard very mixed reviews on the Line 6 cabs (some love them, but some hate them and have said anything through them sounds bad). I'd be careful about the Flextones.
Neil, thanks for the tip. According to the ad, its actually 350 for both cabs and 200 for one, but still, I don't want to buy one if the sound isn't up to par.

I would definitely go for the webers or the avatars, but for the time being, I'm trying to pick a used one up locally to save some money. This thread has helped out a lot though as far as knowing what to look for in a 2x12 and if I end up getting an empty cab, I'll know what speakers to load it with.
HI, my real name is Reo. I live in Dallas Texas and play an 82 American Strat through an AD30HTC through a Marshall 4X12

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:22 pm

should also point out, on the back of the super six it says the output load is 5 ohms. It is really 4. so Get a 4 ohm cab. An 8 ohm cabinet will reduce the power but it will make the amp sound thin.
ImageImage

iwantanorangeamp
Orange Expert

Post by iwantanorangeamp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 pm

sesroh wrote:should also point out, on the back of the super six it says the output load is 5 ohms. It is really 4. so Get a 4 ohm cab. An 8 ohm cabinet will reduce the power but it will make the amp sound thin.
I was just thinking 8ohms for running at half power.

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:41 pm

but you're better off just pulling two power tubes.

I've mismatched fender amps numerous times and it really takes away from the tone.
ImageImage

iwantanorangeamp
Orange Expert

Post by iwantanorangeamp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

sesroh wrote:but you're better off just pulling two power tubes.

I've mismatched fender amps numerous times and it really takes away from the tone.
aren't you supposed to double the impedance of your cab when pulling two of the tubes?

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:58 am

ah I think you're right actually.

My super six needs work anyway (speaker issue, not all of them are working. This was before I pulled two tubes! haha!)

After I did take two out I still noticed a difference though.
I don't run the amp loud. Right now it's my bedroom amp.

I use my Bandmaster Reverb as my main amp. I have it with a matched cab. I used an 8 Ohm cab once and it didn't sound good at all
ImageImage

iwantanorangeamp
Orange Expert

Post by iwantanorangeamp » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:21 pm

sesroh wrote: After I did take two out I still noticed a difference though.
I don't run the amp loud. Right now it's my bedroom amp.

I use my Bandmaster Reverb as my main amp. I have it with a matched cab. I used an 8 Ohm cab once and it didn't sound good at all
You've got the BM reverb and the Super Six? That's really cool, I passed on a couple of BMs because of the price, but I always wanted to try one out. Does the super six at half power sound similar to the bandmaster?

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:30 pm

They sound somewhat similar but I think the super six has a bit more edge to it. But yeah, overall quite similar sounding.

I really really like the Bandmaster Reverb. Such a great amp. I'd love to find another one at a reasonable price. They seem to be hard to find. The last one I saw locally the guy wanted a ridiculous amount for it and I just wasn't willing to pay that. I talked to him and told him the going rate for them and he just wouldn't budge. anyway, whoever did buy it got ripped off I think considering they sell on ebay from 450-650 depending on the year.
ImageImage