Orange Footswitch owners!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Orange Footswitch owners!

Post by Orphin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Can someone please open thier footswitch up, take a photo of the inside and post it here?

Thanks.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Donnie Osmond
Tiny Terror

Post by Donnie Osmond » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 pm

Your wish is my command......

Mono
Orange Expert

Post by Mono » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 pm

wtf?
no battery?

BUT HOW DOES IT MAKE POWER THE LITTLE ORANGE BOULB?!?!

Donnie Osmond
Tiny Terror

Post by Donnie Osmond » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Mono wrote:wtf?
no battery?

Tis' Magic, it is!! Orange magic! Now we just have to test it to see if it floats....

I got better. :wink:

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:10 pm

a small ammount of power comes down the jack lead to power the led..

i didnt realise it'd be a pcb.. i believe most of the others arent..

not that it makes any difference at all!..

also, why use a stereo jack socket?..surely costs would be cut using mono 1's??? even if it is only a few pence!/yuan!!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Oh man, I am pissed! All that big old huge pedal (and waste of pedal board real estate) for that? WTF? I am soooo making my own...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Donnie Osmond wrote:Your wish is my command......
Thanks a bunch Donnie!!
Did you happen to take notice of what kind of resistor that is, can you read the colorcode please.

Another thing. It looks as the LED:s solderjoints are connected. Is it so or does it just look that way on the picture?
wtf?
no battery?

That's the whole beauty with it, and the reason I want to see how it's wired. :)
David

Donnie Osmond
Tiny Terror

Post by Donnie Osmond » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Orphin wrote: Did you happen to take notice of what kind of resistor that is, can you read the colorcode please.

Another thing. It looks as the LED:s solderjoints are connected. Is it so or does it just look that way on the picture?
I can't tell on the LEDs solderjoints. If I had to guess, I'd say no - there is green between them - very little, but it's there. Oh yeah - here:

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:23 pm

I spoke w/ Orange USA and they advised that the cable from the head feeds ~3ma back to the pedal to operate the led. He also advised that the power is returned via the same cable (like a loop) and that this power essentially operates the switch in the amp itself causing it to complete a circuit when pressed thus switching channels.

I was asking about it because I had Analogman make me a switch and it wasn't operating properly due to not returning the required voltage. I'm noe expert, that's just what they told me for what it's worth...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Donnie Osmond wrote:
Orphin wrote: Did you happen to take notice of what kind of resistor that is, can you read the colorcode please.

I can't tell on the LEDs solderjoints. If I had to guess, I'd say no - there is green between them - very little, but it's there. Oh yeah - here:
Thanks a lot!
You have been most helpful!
David

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Yup, and that's why when Billy played at a place with low mains power (something amazingly off-spec, like 100 Volts! :O ) the amp wouldn't switch properly.

This is also how Fender is able to make the footswitches for the HotRod series. Mono cable, but two switches that control channel AND dirty channel's gain.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 pm

blackcloud45 wrote:I spoke w/ Orange USA and they advised that the cable from the head feeds ~3ma back to the pedal to operate the led. He also advised that the power is returned via the same cable (like a loop) and that this power essentially operates the switch in the amp itself causing it to complete a circuit when pressed thus switching channels.

I was asking about it because I had Analogman make me a switch and it wasn't operating properly due to not returning the required voltage. I'm noe expert, that's just what they told me for what it's worth...
The switching is being done when + and - short circuits. When you switch back to where the LED is off, it's an open circuit.

I'm really curious on what Analogman did wrong. Did you see the circuit?
How didn't it operate properly? Did it switch OK but the LED didn't light ON and OFF?
David

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:46 pm

I had him build a box that had a switch for channel selection, a switch for reverb on / off, and a Bad Bob Boost integrated into the box. One stereo cable was used for all switching functions (rather than two guitar cables, one for each switch).

The problem was that on occassion it would do this thing when switched where it seemed like it was only getting half the signal. If I went back to the dirty channel it was weak, then if I switched a couple more times it was fine. Yes, I tried it w/ new cables. Once I started using my Orange switch it started working fine every time. The guy at Orange basically said that the stereo cable didn't have enough conductors to run both functions as it couldn't supply the right amount of voltage back to the amp.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 pm

blackcloud45 wrote:Oh man, I am pissed! All that big old huge pedal (and waste of pedal board real estate) for that? WTF? I am soooo making my own...
I love it, it's built like a tank. I've stomped on and murdered so many other footswitches, but this one just keeps living... and the fact that you can change the length of the cable just by attaching a different one is a plus... the other ones with the attached cable are never long enough.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 am

Donnie Osmond wrote:

What colors are those please (hard to tell in the pic)? I left my switch at the jam room...