Recording Software

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

goldpony
Orange Hero

Recording Software

Post by goldpony » Sun May 31, 2009 1:31 am

Hey guys
Ive noticed recording and stuff if neva spoke about too much on here, but i got a question? :idea:

Im sure lots of you record alot at home with PC software and im sick of using my awfull freeware i got from college so want to get sum economic new software for my DELL, ill mostly be recording guitar (electric/acoustic) vocals, piano and lots of weird things, but i havnt got too much money about £100-200 bout £300 dollars max i reckon for you americans, You guys got any suggestions? :D
Thanks
Yamaha CV820WB Signature
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Gretch Jet Electro
Gibson Les Paul Jr
Ibanez Hollow AF105-SM
ESP LTD EC1000
Washburn EA18 Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange PPCOB 2X12
Epiphone Valve Jnr

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Sun May 31, 2009 1:46 am

Hey man. Save yourself some money and download Reaper. It's free and it's very very good! Can't knock that :)

http://www.reaper.fm/

I'd spend the money on a decent audio interface (if you don't already have one) or a new mic or something if you do. There are some fantastic mics to be had at that sort of price second hand :)
Josh

goldpony
Orange Hero

Post by goldpony » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:34 pm

Reaper looks cool, but how do you download it for free all i seem to find is the two license clost version?
Yamaha CV820WB Signature
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Gretch Jet Electro
Gibson Les Paul Jr
Ibanez Hollow AF105-SM
ESP LTD EC1000
Washburn EA18 Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange PPCOB 2X12
Epiphone Valve Jnr

DUBS
Tiny Terror

Post by DUBS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:26 am

Protools. Easy to use. Protools 8 comes with an amazing audiosuite, and it's the industry standard. That means you can bring your saved session to just about any studio and load it up without any problems.

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 am

DUBS wrote:Protools. Easy to use. Protools 8 comes with an amazing audiosuite, and it's the industry standard. That means you can bring your saved session to just about any studio and load it up without any problems.
Pro Tools is great, but you need to be running compatible hardware with it, and it costs more than £200-300. Any audio interface (or mixer) made by M-Audio or Digidesign will allow you to run it. M-Audio stuff runs Pro Tools M-Powered and Digi stuff runs PT LE. It's true that you can transfer files from those onto any PT system, but most studios these days use a range of DAWs for such situations.

A guy I know locally runs Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase. They seem to be the big 3. For Logic (at least the current version) you'll need a Mac as it doesn't run on a PC. Cubase 5 is excellent but again, expensive.

As for Reaper it looks like they've finally started charging, but a one off payment of $60 is WELL worth the money in my opinion! I'd even go as far as saying that there isn't much difference in terms of quality between this and the big 3 :shock: Also seeing as they're a web based company who actually listens to their customers, they're constantly coming out with updates for it so it can only get better :)

Personally I use Logic Pro 8 and Pro Tools because I have a Mac and a Digi Mbox 2 but I used Reaper before. I would have kept using it if I wasn't going to uni and needing to sharpen my Pro Tools skills up.
Josh