I hate people who...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

NiallB
Orange Master

I hate people who...

Post by NiallB » Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 am

steal.

Just had my debit card used fraudulently. They've taken me for about £400 possibly more, had to get a new account and will have to wait to see if my Bank can give me my money back through fraud claims....

I know it's not the worlds largest amount of money, but when it's pretty much all you had. It sucks.
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed May 27, 2009 11:09 am

You'll get it back hopefully - I had the same, about 400 quid, taken out a while back, and they dealt with it quite quickly. Still, it does suck in the meantime :(
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Art
Rocker

Post by Art » Wed May 27, 2009 11:10 am

Man that's rough, I couldn't stand to lose £400 either. Hopefully you'll be able to claim it back though.

I read somewhere that if that you were in an overdraft at the time the money was taken, then you're covered by credit card legislation, therefore making it more likely you can claim it back. Debit cards (if you're in credit) are a different matter though, and depends on the bank's policy as to whether you can claim.

Best of luck!
~Joe

Fender Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Hotrails into
Orange Rocker 30 Combo+PPC212 Cab.

http://www.myspace.com/artsgotagun

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Who do you bank with, Niall?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Wed May 27, 2009 1:03 pm

You should be able to get it back no problem. If your bank tries any funny business just cause a stink and they will give you the money back. When your bank card has been copied and fraudulently used, your bank has failed you in terms of security, and that is how they see it too. I had some money taken the same way a while back and I got it back right away. They were pretty much kissing my @$$ to keep me happy. Just act as though you think they aren't a secure bank and you may invest your money elsewhere due to this situation.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Wed May 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Not quite.

Remember, debit cards don't have the protection that credit cards do.
With a credit card, you're only liable up to $50 in most circumstances.
Not so with a debit card.

Which is why you should NEVER use a debit card for online transactions even if the site says https.

I had $9.95 stolen from my debit card once from an online vendor I never bought anything from; so I gathered up all the information & ammunition including a WHOIS & presented everything to my bank. They refunded me the money after a couple days. I think the $9.95 was a "test" transaction from the theives. Pay close attention to your accounts these days & check them often for signs of compromise.
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed May 27, 2009 2:01 pm

My bank noticed I use my debt card for a lot of paypal transactions. They recommended that I get a separate ATM just for that (basically a different account) and only put in the amount for the transactions I make right before I make them. That way if someone does get the info they don’t have access to any funds. So, that’s what I do now.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Wed May 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Actually some like the "visa check card" are 100% covered for fraudulent charges. I couldn't live without mine I hate carrying cash.
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 27, 2009 2:39 pm

xenious wrote:Actually some like the "visa check card" are 100% covered for fraudulent charges. I couldn't live without mine I hate carrying cash.
Same here.

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm with Halifax Joe, as are my parents, we have been for as long as I can remember.

And my bank said that hopefully I should get the money back because it was a fraud claim....Now I've just got to tell my parents.....
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Cool, should be ok then...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Mossbank
Rocker

Post by Mossbank » Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 pm

I had about £400 taken a few years ago and my bank (Lloyds) just refunded it.