Pedal effects with tiny terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

carlos1972

Pedal effects with tiny terror

Post by carlos1972 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi all,

i am a proud owner of a tiny terror. I play trough a POD XT Live plug in directly into the input of the amp. I'm achieving a quite good clean sound, but i'm not happy with hi gain results - using POD's effects.

anybody has the same problem? Or anybody knows the best POD configuration for the tiny terror?

If not, ¿wich analog pedals dou you reccomend me?

Thanks

Ayin1
Tiny Terror

Post by Ayin1 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:43 pm

I tried the M13 with the TT once, and found all the dirtboxes in it unusable. I could use the Tube Comp as a kind of clean boost though, but that's with the gain of the TT already on 6.5.

I think the TT is not suited for clean settings and then add dirt boxes. It excells in crunch settings with clean boosts.

Jan

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm

It makes no sense combining valve modelling multi fx with a low watt tube amp. If you really want to use a Pod into a valve amp, you're better off with something high wattage and clean.

Personally, I'd forget the Pod altogether and buy the 'proper' individual effects you really need and rely on a real amp to supply your core tone.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

carlos1972

Post by carlos1972 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 am

Ok Thanks.

And which distorsion pedals do you use with TT?

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Tue May 26, 2009 8:49 am

carlos1972 wrote:Ok Thanks.

To be honest, overdrive pedals probably work better with the TT, because you can clean them up more. Most distortion pedals break up far too early, and putting loads of gain into an already broken up amp is a recipe for loads of feedback and a really messy sound.

You said you're quite happy with the clean sound - thing is, the TT isn't really a clean amp, certainly not at band volumes anyway, so if you don't like it when you turn the gain up you may want to look for a different amp.

For best results with the TT, you wanna dial in a good crunch sound, and you can roll off the guitar volume if you want to clean it up. To get more gain, put a clean boost or a low-gain overdrive into the front end of it. What overdrive is up to you, although you can't go far wrong with an Ibanez Tubescreamer or a Boss SD-1.

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 pm

I use fuzz, overdrive and distortion with my TT. All work fine for me.
Though i must state that the gain is never turned up all the way, on either pedal or amp.
And there's always a volume boost dialed in on the pedals to give the amp an extra kick in the behind, so to say...
But it's always up to you to try what works. Don't be afraid, just try.

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

crguti

Post by crguti » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

I used Boss DS-2 turbo distortion with my TT... it sounded awful!!
I got decent (not the best) distortion using the Boss ME-50 guitar multi effects with NR at maximum.
Right now, I connect my guitar to my macbook/duet using Guitar Rig then into the TT (gain in 3)... I can get pretty awesome distortion. :twisted:

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed May 27, 2009 5:51 pm

If you want something cheap'n'bargainsome, try looking up the Danelectro Cool Cat pedals - Drive, Fuzz and Transparent Overdrive - on Youtube... a guy has demoed them on there with a TT (an English guy, forgotten his name). They sound pretty good for the money, I just ordered a couple to mod and mess about with.

They're basically clone circuits of 3 well-known expensive boutique pedals - the OCD, Timmy and Frantone Peach Fuzz. However you feel about the ethics of that, they're definitely worth a try if you're looking for a bargain.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Post by colfaxrev » Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:It makes no sense combining valve modelling multi fx with a low watt tube amp. If you really want to use a Pod into a valve amp, you're better off with something high wattage and clean.

Personally, I'd forget the Pod altogether and buy the 'proper' individual effects you really need and rely on a real amp to supply your core tone.
+1000000000

I own the line 6 guitar and bass pods, the "pro" rack mounted ones. they're great for coming up with stuff at low volume and arranging songs in pro tools etc, for me, but live... they are a NO GO!!!! for me. personal choice, but i'd say DEFINITELY go with the real deal pedals
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Wed May 27, 2009 8:31 pm

carlos1972 wrote:Ok Thanks.

I use a BBE Green Screamer which sounds great through the TT, and I also use an EmmaReezafritz which sounds incredible through the TT.
Vince

breakfast
Orange Hero

Post by breakfast » Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:If you want something cheap'n'bargainsome, try looking up the Danelectro Cool Cat pedals - Drive, Fuzz and Transparent Overdrive - on Youtube... a guy has demoed them on there with a TT (an English guy, forgotten his name). They sound pretty good for the money, I just ordered a couple to mod and mess about with.

They're basically clone circuits of 3 well-known expensive boutique pedals - the OCD, Timmy and Frantone Peach Fuzz. However you feel about the ethics of that, they're definitely worth a try if you're looking for a bargain.
Yes! I just bought the Cool Cat Drive and it's fantastic!

I also swear by a MXR CAE-401. Amazing.

cvansickle

Post by cvansickle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 am

I like a treble booster or a clean boost in front of my TT. I have HomeBrew Electronics pedals for this amp, and use the Germania treble booster and the ParaDrive OD pedal which has a clean boost side.

But I also use a CPR compressor with this amp, which helps to smooth out the top end sizzle.
Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:04 am

I get GREAT results keep my TT clean and then using a vintage (1981) ProCo RAT for dirt.

If you use pedals with the TT, you really need to keep the TT clean.

Either that, or just plug straight in without *any* effect and let the amp itself overdrive on its own. That also sounds great. Think AC/DC crunch.

But if you want any effects (like delay or reverb or chorus or whatever) the TT must be clean.

cvansickle

Post by cvansickle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:25 am

Armchair Bronco wrote:I get GREAT results keep my TT clean and then using a vintage (1981) ProCo RAT for dirt.

If you use pedals with the TT, you really need to keep the TT clean.

Either that, or just plug straight in without *any* effect and let the amp itself overdrive on its own. That also sounds great. Think AC/DC crunch.

But if you want any effects (like delay or reverb or chorus or whatever) the TT must be clean.
I like it not totally clean, just a little breakup at the 1:00 position on the Gain knob. This way, when hitting it with the boost pedal I get the best from both the pedal and the amp.

But you're right, the amp itself sounds great with the Gain at or near maxed.
Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

Guitar-Sam
Orange Hero

Post by Guitar-Sam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:17 pm

I use a cheapo Boss DS-1 w/ my TT.
But I run the amp dirty and Set the DS-1s level to unity and the gain is set really low like 8:30.Basically makes my single coils outputs like vintage humbuckers.Very subtle use.
using it for any more than that makes the sound harsh and/or messy.