OT: American Idol

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Fri May 22, 2009 11:47 pm

CD9266 wrote:
Bandeapart wrote:I take so much pride in not even knowing what time the show is on, who the contestants are, or any details for that matter.

If I was in a room full of idol "stars", I wouldn't know it.
You and I are rowing in the same boat.

I hate that show because these people get graded on how good they can sing other people's stuff... or that's what I thought the objective was when I saw part of one episode one night. It's stupid that someone could win a record contract and money or whatever they get for singing someone else' tunes...
someone else is always paid to write the hits. no one writes their own stuff in that market.
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Fri May 22, 2009 11:54 pm

airforce_brian wrote:Wow, a lot of hate on here towards american idol! I'm not going to lie, I thought the show was totally lame too, until I stumbled across an episode on tv and Adam Lambert was doing a really weird but cool middle eastern sounding cover of Ring Of Fire by Johnny Cash. The dude is seriously an unbelievable singer, and his arrangements and interpretations of songs are really cool. He is a real artist, not just a singer. If you like music, and you see this guy singing, I guarantee you would not change the channel.

Check this out, it's a totally rockin' version of Whole Lotta Love, and it's got Orange amps in the backline!
http://www.americanidol.com/videos/seas ... lotta_love
that was the worst thing ive ever heard. it was torture to my ears. if cash were alive he would have adam lambert assassinated for butchering that song.

and thats the other thing, how do you know he arranged ring of fire like that? you dont. i would bet MONEY that someones job is to say "this week your going to sing ring of fire like this-" i bet theyre not doing anything themselves. it definitely isnt art, IMO.
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri May 22, 2009 11:56 pm

They remove all soul and integrity that existed in any old song and turn it into bad karaoke or show tunes crap!
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sat May 23, 2009 12:17 am

Bandeapart wrote:They remove all soul and integrity that existed in any old song and turn it into bad karaoke or show tunes crap!
exactly!
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 am

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx wrote:
airforce_brian wrote:Wow, a lot of hate on here towards american idol! I'm not going to lie, I thought the show was totally lame too, until I stumbled across an episode on tv and Adam Lambert was doing a really weird but cool middle eastern sounding cover of Ring Of Fire by Johnny Cash. The dude is seriously an unbelievable singer, and his arrangements and interpretations of songs are really cool. He is a real artist, not just a singer. If you like music, and you see this guy singing, I guarantee you would not change the channel.

Check this out, it's a totally rockin' version of Whole Lotta Love, and it's got Orange amps in the backline!
that was the worst thing ive ever heard. it was torture to my ears. if cash were alive he would have adam lambert assassinated for butchering that song.

and thats the other thing, how do you know he arranged ring of fire like that? you dont. i would bet MONEY that someones job is to say "this week your going to sing ring of fire like this-" i bet theyre not doing anything themselves. it definitely isnt art, IMO.
How much money? They actually show him working with Randy Travis on the show arranging the song in that manner, and Randy Travis was "blown away" by his creativity. Also, he is the only one in the competition with unique arrangements like that. What exactly about it don't you like? It's a really unique arrangement and interpretation of that song, sung by a ridiculously good singer.

I get that people don't watch the show at all because they aren't in to it, but I honestly don't get how musicians can't appreciate good music or talent. Everyone is all for the lady on Britain's got talent, but just because this guy happens to be on American Idol you can't give him any respect? Totally bogus in my opinion. There is no way anyone can say this dude can't sing.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Sat May 23, 2009 5:15 am

idol is the most cringe worthy experience ever invented...

every time i get a glimpse of it i cant not cringe.
i make a face worse than sucking a lemon.. infact i rather suck a sack full of lemons that watch that crap

american idol............

............the american karaoke championship

Brutalitarian Supremacy
Rocker

Post by Brutalitarian Supremacy » Sat May 23, 2009 12:45 pm

I have not owned nor watched a television set in almost a decade...
Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul...Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.myspace.com/wearevarulvorden

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm

airforce_brian wrote:
xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx wrote:

How much money? They actually show him working with Randy Travis on the show arranging the song in that manner, and Randy Travis was "blown away" by his creativity. Also, he is the only one in the competition with unique arrangements like that. What exactly about it don't you like? It's a really unique arrangement and interpretation of that song, sung by a ridiculously good singer.

I get that people don't watch the show at all because they aren't in to it, but I honestly don't get how musicians can't appreciate good music or talent. Everyone is all for the lady on Britain's got talent, but just because this guy happens to be on American Idol you can't give him any respect? Totally bogus in my opinion. There is no way anyone can say this dude can't sing.
to be honest...i dont like his voice. at all. but i understand if you do. but when i critique a persons voice, range and how high they can go has nothing to do with it. and all i hear about adam lambert is "lykke 0hMg3e3ez his v0ic3 cAn g0 so0o0o hi1i1igGgHhh!!" but to me, he sound like 80's hair metal monotonous crap. its just not interesting. i think one of the best voices ive ever heard is david bazan's. SOOO much character, its like no one elses. and adam lambert is a total tool. you dont know that randy travis actually thinks that about adam lambert. it was probly his line in the script.

now- enjoy a clip of one of the most beautiful voices around. i was actually at this house show in fresno, CA and it was the most beautiful things ive ever seen in person. a youtube video doesnt do its justice.
(the song actually starts at 2:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLklmWHNsdo
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Sat May 23, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Adams voice. I preferred Kris's. Adam's, though incredible, did nothing for me. I'm a sucker for these shows, purely to see how much people boo when Simon Cowell (or any Judge for that matter) speaks the truth.
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Sun May 24, 2009 2:33 am

What I like about Adam Lambert is how versatile he is. He can do the hair metal type thing, but he also did some slower songs like Tracks of My Tears and Mad world that had so much feeling and emotion in them. Aside from his amazing range, he also can do incredible runs and has a near perfect vibrato.

I liked Kris Allen's voice as well, but he's not even close to as good technically as Adam Lambert, and everything he did always had the same vibe. So I guess if you like that vibe, you would love everything he did.

David Bazan sounds OK, but very typical of a folk singer. I like the Jeff Buckley version of that song a lot better.
PRS Custom 24
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sun May 24, 2009 8:23 am

airforce_brian wrote:What I like about Adam Lambert is how versatile he is. He can do the hair metal type thing, but he also did some slower songs like Tracks of My Tears and Mad world that had so much feeling and emotion in them. Aside from his amazing range, he also can do incredible runs and has a near perfect vibrato.

I liked Kris Allen's voice as well, but he's not even close to as good technically as Adam Lambert, and everything he did always had the same vibe. So I guess if you like that vibe, you would love everything he did.

David Bazan sounds OK, but very typical of a folk singer. I like the Jeff Buckley version of that song a lot better.
typical!? thats crazy talk. ive never heard ANYONE like bazan. ive heard hundreds of adam lamberts.

the most remembered singers are never the ones that sounded the best.
cash,dylan,elliot smith= not american idol material. no one will know who adam lambert is in 1 year, i guarantee it.
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Sun May 24, 2009 10:10 am

Meh. Shows like this aren't even vaguely connected to music. They're just amateur circus for dull people.

I've watched a few episodes of the various British and American versions, and it isn't cringeworthy or anything, it's just like watching the shopping channel, boring and pointless.

Expecting to find good music on American Idol is like expecting to find a Rembrandt at a Wal-Mart. It doesn't make any sense.

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 pm

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx wrote:
airforce_brian wrote:What I like about Adam Lambert is how versatile he is. He can do the hair metal type thing, but he also did some slower songs like Tracks of My Tears and Mad world that had so much feeling and emotion in them. Aside from his amazing range, he also can do incredible runs and has a near perfect vibrato.

typical!? thats crazy talk. ive never heard ANYONE like bazan. ive heard hundreds of adam lamberts.

cash,dylan,elliot smith= not american idol material. no one will know who adam lambert is in 1 year, i guarantee it.
I wouldn't be so sure of yourself dude. Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen are considering Adam Lambert as their new singer. The guy is talented and has a huge fanbase already because of the show. I guarantee he is going to do something.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -frontman/

When it comes down to it, I listen to all music and I think it's incredibly narrow minded to ignore something because of preconceived notions or stereotypes about it. I don't care if it's Pop, Rap, Rock, Folk or anything else, if it's good I will listen to it.
PRS Custom 24
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sun May 24, 2009 8:16 pm

airforce_brian wrote:
xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of yourself dude. Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen are considering Adam Lambert as their new singer. The guy is talented and has a huge fanbase already because of the show. I guarantee he is going to do something.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -frontman/

When it comes down to it, I listen to all music and I think it's incredibly narrow minded to ignore something because of preconceived notions or stereotypes about it. I don't care if it's Pop, Rap, Rock, Folk or anything else, if it's good I will listen to it.
oh i totally agree. i take in and respect ALL genres of music. but music is art. adam lambert doesnt make art.

if i went in my room and painted a copy of a van gogh painting, even if it was very similar, i would still just be a copy cat. and so far all ive seen is adam lambert sing other peoples songs. which means NOTHING. he might sing good but if he cant write a good tune then hes not really that talented.

and ever since freddie passed, queen has and never will be the same . its idiotic to try to keep it going. they need to give it up already.
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 pm

I didn't read how Queen got on topic, but it's ridiculous for them to even be trying without Freddy. It's just craziness and retarded. Especially by replacing him with that Bad Company dude, that guy has no range compared with Mercury, and he's a little too straight for my liking, haha. Flamboyancy is required to front that band.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele