OT: "new" setup

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

OT: "new" setup

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri May 15, 2009 5:08 pm

So last night was the first night with the dual amp set up at practice....DC-30 and '65 Deluxe. Our other guitarist has a dual amp set up too.....he uses Rivera era Fenders....Concert and Deluxe II. I gotta say the sound was MASSIVE! It was like it was everywhere.....Not going back to any other set up any time soon if ever.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 pm

What? Sounds like a lot of "low wattage nonsense" to me! :P

Just messin' with ya'. Sounds like a sweet setup. And you're still cranking out what, a cumulative output of 52 clean watts? That'll rattle some fillings, no doubt about it.

If you happen to record a practice or a gig, post some clips, I'd love to hear that rig in action.
- Nathan

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Running 2 amps is the way to go.

Post by GuitarMD » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm

That is the way to do it.
Run two amps simultaneously for one massive wall of sound.
It also helps to keep one amp dry (with respect to time effects) and the other wet.

Glad you found a good combination for you and your band.
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 pm

nguideau wrote:What? Sounds like a lot of "low wattage nonsense" to me! :P

Just messin' with ya'. Sounds like a sweet setup. And you're still cranking out what, a cumulative output of 52 clean watts? That'll rattle some fillings, no doubt about it.

If you happen to record a practice or a gig, post some clips, I'd love to hear that rig in action.
We just started recording practices recently. If we get something decent I'll post it. We hit the 'ole studio late in June. Got 8 songs ready to go at this point.

Got a little buzz going for us locally...we are all "established" (what ever that means) musicians around town so word got out that we were all playing together...take what you can get, right. Anyway, it's a fun project guided by our desire to keep it home town....even if that is Austin.

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sat May 16, 2009 7:42 pm

I tried a 2 amp set-up but other than switching from one to other for clean vs dirty sounds I found it too much when both were on at the same time. It was probably more me than anything else. Also I got tired of hauling double rigs around (I'm lazy too!)

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Magnus Pettersen
Orange Master

Post by Magnus Pettersen » Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 am

This is my "new" setup ;) '95 Jerry Jones Shorthorn and '66Dynacord Twen

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Sun May 17, 2009 2:54 am

Aslan wrote:I tried a 2 amp set-up but other than switching from one to other for clean vs dirty sounds I found it too much when both were on at the same time. It was probably more me than anything else. Also I got tired of hauling double rigs around (I'm lazy too!)
Well, the dual amp set up is less gear than when I ran with an Orange full stack.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Sun May 17, 2009 3:34 am

Knuckle Bones wrote:
Aslan wrote:I tried a 2 amp set-up but other than switching from one to other for clean vs dirty sounds I found it too much when both were on at the same time. It was probably more me than anything else. Also I got tired of hauling double rigs around (I'm lazy too!)
Well, the dual amp set up is less gear than when I ran with an Orange full stack.
Good point... a lot less weight to lug around than two Orange 4x12s.

Orange cabs make me think of the old joke about the black box in a plane -- "why don't they make the whole plane out of what the black box is made of?"
- Nathan