Okay recording/microphone, cab micing geniuses, which mic...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Okay recording/microphone, cab micing geniuses, which mic...

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 pm

.....do I need? I've got e609 which I like for front of cab on the speaker grill placement. BUT, I'd like to get another mic for the back of my open back cabs. SO, first - which mic should I get? Second - placement - any suggestions wold be great! Third - I need to get two mics into my computer at the same time and the only option I have is a USB port input. SO, I need some kind of USB interface, am I right? If so - what do I need?

I'd like to start getting some clips up of the RV50 through the open back 2x12 - and some Stingray clips too. Any help would be great! Thanks.

:D
Greg

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Tue May 05, 2009 8:30 pm

As for what mic you need to run in the back, you'll need a mic with a phase inverter function. You will have phase problems if you are using two mics on one sound source and facing them at each other.

In terms of placement, I'd say just off the cone, about a inch off the cloth. Spend the time to test mic positions and mark your cab.

And to get your mics into your PC, you'll need an A to D converter. I'm not familiar with brands, but that's what you're looking for.
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm

What leaves you wanting with your micing just the front of the cab? Phase problems are what make me say less mics is better.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Wed May 06, 2009 8:35 am

Multi mics would be overkill for this application.

Get one nice mic The e609 or the e906(better) or a large Diaphram condenser (you'll need a mini mixer and phantom power). A good mic stand is essential. Location of the speaker cab can make a difference in all but very close mic conditions. Put your mic on the boom and have a friend move it about the cab whilst you play and monitor on your enclosed earphones. That way you will hear the best tone and then place the stand to get that, it could be across the cone or in the back of the cab or in the middle of the room pointing at a mirror or wherever, when it sounds right to you, that right.

many of the best recordings from the 1950s and 60s were done this way and its the best way to learn how significant mic placement is in the tone. You can't always do it live because of spill and general noise interference but in recording - wow!

HTH
Here we go; three, four...

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Neiloler wrote:What leaves you wanting with your micing just the front of the cab? Phase problems are what make me say less mics is better.
Yup.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Wed May 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Best thing I have done in the last 10 years of recording....I bought a axetrak iso box.....LOVE IT< LOVE IT< LOVE IT....