Not for the weak of heart......

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Not for the weak of heart......

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat May 02, 2009 12:15 am

Here are some videos from our very first gig. It was a ton of fun for us. Any comments (both critical and non-critical) would be welcome. Thanks!

www.youtube.com/eastvirginiaband
Greg

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat May 02, 2009 12:43 am

BLOODY HELL! You're a dark horse aren't you??

Only listened to 3 tracks so far but......

Your band is as tight as a ducks arse..........and that's watertight!

As from now take a step forward in confidence.......you are part of a really good band and you are a necessary part of it!!

Really digging it!

Ok....the criticisms.......cut out all that crap of fiddling with pedals and tuning and looking at each other before the next song!
Get yourselves slick.....get professional........that's all......no criticisms about your sound, songs or performances.

Ok smart guy..............wriggle out of that! :twisted:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat May 02, 2009 12:55 am

Right.....I'm not taking anything back but I've just realised it's your first show! :oops:

Great performance for a first show!!

Just work to make it flow easier and try to relax.........you are good as a band so become GREAT as a band....I'm really impressed.

I'll buy your CD......but that won't count for any credibility because I'm old...... :oops:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:14 am

I likey! That Orange sounds particularly nice.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Sat May 02, 2009 4:34 am

Is your drummer wearing overalls?
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat May 02, 2009 6:28 am

Lovin' the overalls. :)

A few of the songs drag to me. I think that's partially the mix, I can't hardly hear the drums, and that's okay, I never get a good mix at shows with cameras and mics. I'd pick up the tempo a bit (but that's my creative side speaking, and if I've just totally missed the message of your music, then give me a finger and forget me). I dig "Night of 1000 Dreams", it feels more energetic to me.

I love your tone Greg, I think it's a bit better than the other tone (and I think you're a jerkusmagerkus, so you know I'm not blowing smoke up your tailpipe :P ;) ), but they both sit well together to create a very pleasing sound.

I'd jump around more. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and you know me, I'm all about pulling silly faces while I play, but I notice when I'm just trying to look like I'm having fun, I end up having tons more fun. You're wireless, so get out in the crowd and play some riffs in peoples' faces, etc. I wish I were wireless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2HVD7uWBR0.

Overall, I think you guys did great, even better when you think about it being your first gig. You guys look tight, and I think it sounds great and looks great, so don't take my critiques as downer points, just something I think would make next gig even better.

I think we need to do some cross-country tour to play a show with you guys. :D

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat May 02, 2009 6:32 am

I'm really digging "Meridian". Very cool song, feels very flowing and moving, no dragging, I'm really liking it Greg. I favorited this one, I'll be sure to play in the background at work or what not, I REALLY like this one. :)

wrath
Orange Hero

Re: Not for the weak of heart......

Post by wrath » Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 am

Norrin Radd wrote:Here are some videos from our very first gig. It was a ton of fun for us. Any comments (both critical and non-critical) would be welcome. Thanks!

www.youtube.com/eastvirginiaband
hey...you have really nice sound. is that a RV50 or 100?
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

_Craig_
Orange Hero

Post by _Craig_ » Sat May 02, 2009 11:20 am

Sounded great, wish my band were as tight as that at our first gig!

Like Brian said, the only thing i would comment on is maybe trying to speed up the gaps between songs, thats something we've been working on for a while, and it really helps the set to flow a lot better.

Craig
'94 Standard Telecaster. Rickenbacker 4003. Orange AD30R. Ashdown 550 Touring.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat May 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Guys - thanks for all the comments! MUCH much appreciated.

Yep - those are overalls. :D

I play an RV50 - best amp in the world! I just re-tubed it this week too - and it sounds even better (I think it's the new reissue Mullard 12AX7s that are giving me this nice thick distortion - without much noise at all!!!)

Yeah - the gaps - that's something I know I've got to improve on. I also noticed that I have a tendency to hit the front end of the beat on every song. I'm pushing the tempo and dragging the band with me - not good! I was wondering why it seemed we kept speeding up a bit all the time - turns out it's ME! :lol: I guess I need to relax more on the beat and grooooove more. I'll work on it.

Yeah - I need to be more animated too. I notice I'm stepping around a lot but not going anywhere! I'll get better.

PLEASE keep the comments coming!!! :wink:
Greg

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat May 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Get rid of that ugly red tele. Use it for firewood, or perhaps just send it to me, I'll find something to do with it...

...like play it forever.... :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Sat May 02, 2009 3:28 pm

damn good for a first gig... just gotta loosen up a bit, engage with the crowd a bit in between the songs!

you've inspired me to put my head on the chopping block and post a couple of clips from a gig that we did a while back hehe
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Sat May 02, 2009 4:04 pm

I think I agree with the comments above... really good sound, just could do alittle better with the visuals/stage craft.

Great first gig!

:D
Mark

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Sat May 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Very, very proud of you my friend! Excellent for a first go!
totally wicked, honest and fun!

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Sat May 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Great stuff. Excellent tones and the mix in the camera was really decent too. Bravo!