Volume pedals... I need some suggestions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sat May 02, 2009 7:16 am

LeonC wrote:Wow I've been using the same Ernie Ball vol pedal for like 10 years. No string breakage problems. There are just a few things I want from a volume pedal:

- Throw must be smooth, even and not too long
- Must be relatively compact
- Must not kill highs when backed down a bit

The EB model I've been using does all that, and it was not expensive either. Problem solved.
what model is it that you own?
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Sat May 02, 2009 3:13 pm

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx wrote:
LeonC wrote:Wow I've been using the same Ernie Ball vol pedal for like 10 years. No string breakage problems. There are just a few things I want from a volume pedal:

The EB model I've been using does all that, and it was not expensive either. Problem solved.
Sorry man...I don't know...it has no number on it. It's the larger size, it's passive, it has a tuner out and it's mono...and it's covered in dust, LOL! That's about the best description I can give you though, in terms of identifying which current model is the same.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Think you've got the same as me, Leon, a 6166. Big chunky metal bastard.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Sat May 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Joe - where's the model number on yours?

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sat May 02, 2009 5:07 pm

LeonC wrote:
xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx wrote:

Sorry man...I don't know...it has no number on it. It's the larger size, it's passive, it has a tuner out and it's mono...and it's covered in dust, LOL! That's about the best description I can give you though, in terms of identifying which current model is the same.
cool thanks man
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 02, 2009 5:51 pm

LeonC wrote:Joe - where's the model number on yours?
Er... pass. Don't think it's got a model number written on it. I just looked up the specs on tinterweb and scribbled down what popped up.

Full size, made for passive guitars, tuner out, straight up volume... voila. 6166.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Well thanks guys for some info. Sometimes I think I need the reassurance on some gear and you can never trust reviews. I find that people are stupid and do a review right after they get the pedal... not after they've had it for 3 years.

Anyways I bought a DD-20 as it will serve me more useful right now. I'll keep EB in the back of my mind and the shop I bought my DD-20 from has a VP JR so I can always run up there and try it out sometime.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Companyman
Orange Hero

Post by Companyman » Sun May 03, 2009 3:54 am

The visual volume pedal is really cool. It has led's to show your setting, very handy, and it has an optional clean boost, can be run passive as well, oh yeah, it is stereo as well, with a tuner out.
http://www.myspace.com/earmarksaints
http://www.myspace.com/ceoman

My user name is everything that I am NOT !

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:09 am

Companyman wrote:The visual volume pedal is really cool. It has led's to show your setting, very handy, and it has an optional clean boost, can be run passive as well, oh yeah, it is stereo as well, with a tuner out.
Yeah I read up on that one. The only thing I can think though is maybe there's just too much stuff in that volume pedal. I like the LEDs but then the passive and active, and stereo, and clean boost and all that are just a bit much for something that I want to have a nice smooth sweep and to raise and lower the volume. It helps for coming into certain songs and for doing swells via the effects loop.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jared T
Rocker

Post by Jared T » Mon May 04, 2009 5:11 am

EB VP JR all the way!!!!
Hi I'm Jared and I'm a lefty.

Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited

50th Anniversary American Deluxe Fender Stratocaster

Crappy Fender Acoustic

Some Fulltone Pedals.

Bad Cat Tone Cat 112 and a Fender Blues Junior

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 am

I bought my Ernie Ball pedal in 1980 and it still works perfectly, 100°/° original. Ive just cleaned it recently for the first time, zero problem, built like a tank. Now I don't know if the today models are as well made as they were 30 years ago...

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 pm

mike wrote:I bought my Ernie Ball pedal in 1980 and it still works perfectly, 100°/° original. Ive just cleaned it recently for the first time, zero problem, built like a tank. Now I don't know if the today models are as well made as they were 30 years ago...
That's my concern Mike. To me it seems that a lot of companies have good years and bad years and I don't know which companies are doing "good" this year.

I think the only way to do this is just buy a Volume pedal and hope like hell it works. If it doesn't buy a different one or modify the hell out of the first one.