OT: Earth Sound Research G-1000

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

OT: Earth Sound Research G-1000

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:12 am

All, I am wondering if you could provide me with some information. I recently purchased an old Earth G-1000 head and I'm wondering if anybody has information of these amps. I searched the net, but had little luck finding anything. I managed to find a schematic of a G-2000 though. This amp has had modding done to it and the reverb knob is now a master volume knob. This thing has two volume knobs now. The reverb and vibrato are not functioning. That aside, it does sound killer! Great clean sounding amp with lots of headroom. Perfect amp for use with pedals. Any info you might have will be helpful. Thanks everyone!
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:35 am

Sounds pretty cool, could I ask you to post up some pictures of your new found glory?

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 am

No problem! Just got them in.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:03 am

NICE! That looks way cool. 4xEL34 is always a winner, and it's a great clean amp from what you say, so it seems very cool.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri May 01, 2009 12:38 am

I've got experience with an old Earth bass head and bass cab, and it's burly. Love it.

Would love to hear that. Cosmetics almost look like a Sunn amp, but I haven't looked at the schematic to compare.

Great guts too, looks pro.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 am

Neiloler wrote:NICE! That looks way cool. 4xEL34 is always a winner, and it's a great clean amp from what you say, so it seems very cool.
Actually it's a 4x6L6. I found out that these amps were modeled after a Fender Twin. I would like to get the reverb and vibrato working again, but I need a schematic. The G-2000 schematic is similar, but it's a little hard to read. Is there a computer program that will allow you to create a schematic? I'm also wondering how to interpret the colors on the resistors. There are four colors on these resistors, but what do they mean?

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 am

I wish I could help with the technical stuff. But I just want to say that that amp looks really cool, lots of character. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri May 01, 2009 3:39 am

Ah! 6L6 then, sorry, my bad. That's probably even better for Fender-y cleans. Still way cool.

Chris! It's nice to see you on! You're right, it reminded me of the old Sunn amps instantly.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Fri May 01, 2009 8:23 am

Gtr_Pkr wrote:
Neiloler wrote:NICE! That looks way cool. 4xEL34 is always a winner, and it's a great clean amp from what you say, so it seems very cool.
Actually it's a 4x6L6. I found out that these amps were modeled after a Fender Twin. I would like to get the reverb and vibrato working again, but I need a schematic. The G-2000 schematic is similar, but it's a little hard to read. Is there a computer program that will allow you to create a schematic? I'm also wondering how to interpret the colors on the resistors. There are four colors on these resistors, but what do they mean?
When I read that, some bells rang in my head.
If you don't know the basics of colour codes for resistors, I'm inclined to question your qualifications for poking about inside a valve amp. Anyway a quick google and you'll have that answer. I'm not aware of any free software that lets you draw schematics, but there are a couple of low cost ones, again a google gives you a shopping list. Do you know how to discharge capacitors? Please be safe, we need all the guitar players we have!
Here we go; three, four...

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Sat May 02, 2009 1:18 am

ESBlonde wrote:
Gtr_Pkr wrote:
When I read that, some bells rang in my head.
If you don't know the basics of colour codes for resistors, I'm inclined to question your qualifications for poking about inside a valve amp. Anyway a quick google and you'll have that answer. I'm not aware of any free software that lets you draw schematics, but there are a couple of low cost ones, again a google gives you a shopping list. Do you know how to discharge capacitors? Please be safe, we need all the guitar players we have!
Well, thank you for your concern and inquisitive nature. If you must know, my qualifications come from self teaching. I have managed to learn how to discharge filter caps. I have been biasing my own, and others, Marshall amplifiers for some time, and I know where not to stick a screwdriver. I have also added a .68 cap to my Traynor YBA-1 and now I have the perfect mix of a Fender and Marshall in one amp. Unrelated to valve amps, I finished the basement of my house and ran the wiring myself, so I think I know a thing or two about electricity. Thanks for the suggestion of the google searches. I'll do that first next time.