*swallows pride* Pedal order help?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:54 pm

This is an article by Robert Keeley that I use as a rule of thumb for pedal order..

http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive ... r/1104.htm
Vince

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Think the best rule of thumb is do what works best for you! You'll find some pedals don't work well one way round, but do the other. Some stuff to consider...

Modulation:

Put it where you like, but if you have it before overdrive pedals, the effect won't be as strong as if you put it after. Depends what you're trying to do.

Delays:

I usually have them at the end, so then it replicates the signal you've fed into it, rather than having effects applied to the delayed signal and its repeats. Again, your preference.

Gain / clean boosters & overdrives / distortions:

See comments above, plus, have a think about the relative merits of each pedal. Eg. Say you have a clean booster running into an overdrive pedal, that is going to send (when you switch the clean boost on) a hotter signal into the overdrive pedal, causing it to respond differently to if you just had the overdrive on, but no clean boost, see?

Basically, do whatever works best for you, but have a think about the logic of things too...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:53 pm

blackcloud45 wrote:You want the boost at the end of the chain to boost the signal after the other effects.
+1
the more distortion, the earlier in the chain. thats how i do it, gives me more control and no bad surprises when you turn of a distortion box and get an überloud clean signal because youre clean boost is still on before it.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:03 pm

irish_admiral wrote:Think the best rule of thumb is do what works best for you! You'll find some pedals don't work well one way round, but do the other. Some stuff to consider...

Modulation:

Put it where you like, but if you have it before overdrive pedals, the effect won't be as strong as if you put it after. Depends what you're trying to do.

Delays:

I usually have them at the end, so then it replicates the signal you've fed into it, rather than having effects applied to the delayed signal and its repeats. Again, your preference.

See comments above, plus, have a think about the relative merits of each pedal. Eg. Say you have a clean booster running into an overdrive pedal, that is going to send (when you switch the clean boost on) a hotter signal into the overdrive pedal, causing it to respond differently to if you just had the overdrive on, but no clean boost, see?

Basically, do whatever works best for you, but have a think about the logic of things too...
No... I think the Best Rule of Thumb is to understand how certain effects work first, and then experiment. The Keeley article is just for education and understanding how effects work with other effects, and at the end he says to try different combination's to experiment. Trying different things and not knowing what your doing maybe fun at first, but end up in frustration, and selling and buying Lots of pedals for no good reason. IMO. :D
Vince

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Drdos wrote:
irish_admiral wrote:Think the best rule of thumb is do what works best for you! You'll find some pedals don't work well one way round, but do the other. Some stuff to consider...

Modulation:

Delays:

No... I think the Best Rule of Thumb is to understand how certain effects work first, and then experiment. The Keeley article is just for education and understanding how effects work with other effects, and at the end he says to try different combination's to experiment. Trying different things and not knowing what your doing maybe fun at first, but end up in frustration, and selling and buying Lots of pedals for no good reason. IMO. :D
I agree.

I think you misread me though... nowhere did I say "Experiment!" and hence my "have a think about the logic of things" comment...

:)
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:49 am

irish_admiral wrote:
Drdos wrote:

Modulation:

Delays:

I agree.

I think you misread me though... nowhere did I say "Experiment!" and hence my "have a think about the logic of things" comment...

:)
Sorry Joe didn't mean to misinterpret you, I was just commenting on the whole rule of thumb thing. In no way am I saying that this Keeley opinion is the end all be all on the topic of pedal order/setup, but a good place to start to understand how pedals work or possible may not work properly together. Anyhow I just hate hearing about people buying a ton of gear(100's of pedals), and not taking the time to understand how they work and then selling in the pursuit of the same thing over and over.... Anyway sorry for the rant. Cheers!
Vince

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 am

i am yet to try keeley's advice on placing comp after distortion
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

ceedee1954

Re: *swallows pride* Pedal order help?

Post by ceedee1954 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:29 am

Distortion by its very nature is compression, making a sine wave into a square wave. I do see the occasional use of compression on distorted gtrs in a mixdown situation, but not often in a live rig, so I`d probably always run the compressor before the distortion if I was using distortion,although compression is a mostly clean or semi-clean effect for me.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:41 am

Boost in the loop. Just tried it, whole new TYPE of gain. Good kind.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Tugboat30

Post by Tugboat30 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:26 pm

ceedee1954 wrote:Distortion by its very nature is compression, making a sine wave into a square wave. I do see the occasional use of compression on distorted gtrs in a mixdown situation, but not often in a live rig, so I`d probably always run the compressor before the distortion if I was using distortion,although compression is a mostly clean or semi-clean effect for me.
Correct. Last but not least, don't forget the output impedance of each pedal/box. Running the volume pedal at the end of the chain ruins everything actually. Altering the position (level) of the volume pedal, changes the input impedance of the amp too. Because the pot inside compromises it. Could genarate interesting sounds though 8)
Cheers,
Daniel

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:46 pm

I have my volume pedal after my fuzz/dist and before my delay. That way I can realize volumeswells that are carried on by the delay