Lets get things heated up around here......

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

corky newman
Orange Master

Lets get things heated up around here......

Post by corky newman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

So.....I have owned....
Orange or80
Orange or120
Orange RV50
Orange Ad140
Orange TT
-------------------
I have played many hours on ...
Orange RV 100
Orange retro.
Orange Rocker 30 head & combo...
Orange Ad30
-------------------

And to me.....IMOI

I think the Rocker 30 head into a vintage Marshall 4-12 cab with old greenbacks..is with out a doubt...the best sounding Orange I have ever played on......
The natural cleans were perfect....the crunch was...well perfect..
and when I jumped into leads with a Barber Direct drive SS...damn close to perfect..

If I wanted a new rig to replace my current rig..i would really look at a vintage Marshall cab w/ greenbacks and a orange rocker 30 head..

NOW..I didnt like the rocker 30 combo at all...???
kinda boxy sounding..to me....the head was way better in a 4-12 cab...
sounded great in the Orange 4-12 with vin 30's, but way better on the greenbacks...
I also played it on a very old yellowed Orange 4-12 cab with very old Fanes in it...oh my god it was heaven...i should of bought that cab..but it sold for $1800.....way over my cash at the time....

corky
Last edited by corky newman on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:37 pm

I can already see Mr. Oler searching Ebay for an old Marshall cab!

You've ruffled some feathers there boy! :lol: :lol:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Haha, I represent that remark! ;)

I've only ever really gotten one sweet deal on ebay, but honestly, I think I need to keep more money around to buy more sweet deals.

R30 combo is pretty sweet, I'd love to try the head through a 4x12" (or my combo I guess) to see how it plays.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:42 pm

I've never played an AD120, but I have played an AD140 and an AD50 in addition to all the other amps listed in your post, Corky. I cannot say I disagree with your assessment - although I haven't played an R30 through greenbacks.

I have, however, considered in the past, switching out my RV50 head FOR and R30. I don't use the reverb BUT, the loop has been a big deal for me. I actually DO like the clean better on the R30 - but I also like the character of the distortion on the RV50 better - maybe that would change with a play through the greenbacks, though. Now you've got me thinking!

Any body ever mate a pair of greenbacks with V30s in their 4x12???

Hmmmm..........
Greg

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:57 pm

...well, my pics only OR120 with dual ganged MV mod is the best sounding of the herd I've played....probably best sounding amp I've ever played. Talking crunch and drive...I don't do clean.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:14 pm

The reason I say this, Is I just played on a rocker 30 head into an old 1973 marshall 4-12 greenback cab...wow I could really use this amp for all my needs..
It really sounded like an Orange, but also had some cool old Plexi things going on, and with the Barber kicked in, my I have some sweet ripp'in Soldano type leads....

The cleans were awesome, lots of sparkle and the right low end kick..
I think the crunch was perfect..big but not over the top, had tons of sustain, and the barber pedal really moved some air when kicked in...

my fave Orange right now...
I did put my TT into his cab...sounded cool, but no way near the rocker 30 in tones & feel...

Fred the Shred
Rocker

Post by Fred the Shred » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:14 pm

As the happy owner of a R30 head, I strongly advise those who own the combo version not to plug the thing into a 4x12", especially if you bought it to have a portable gigging amp.

You mind find your notion of portability suddenly started to accomodate hauling half-stacks as a very viable option. :P

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 pm

glad you found your tone!!

the best orange ive played is a AD140...

but its practically the only one ive played......

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm

Fred the Shred wrote:As the happy owner of a R30 head, I strongly advise those who own the combo version not to plug the thing into a 4x12", especially if you bought it to have a portable gigging amp.

You mind find your notion of portability suddenly started to accomodate hauling half-stacks as a very viable option. :P
Haha, I'll definitely take that to mind. ;)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:43 pm

This is why I tend to buy Amp heads more then combo amps. If you know that you have a great 4x12 cab stick with it. Buying a combo for convenience has that draw back of not knowing if the speaker in side is going to suck which makes you think that the amp it self sucks. I like the versatility of having a speaker cab, and using different flavors of Amp Heads... Anyway my 2 cents
Vince

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:49 pm

I am very happy right now with my Tweed Debeck amp...but man that rocker 30 & marshall cab sounded way cool....
I think my Dabeck can cover more ground sonic wise, but the rocker 30 was killer.

Fred the Shred
Rocker

Post by Fred the Shred » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Jokes aside, my preference for heads is simply due to versatility. I love to mix and match heads and cabs, and I've come to loathe the virtually inevitable boxy sound of 1x12".

I've been using 2x12" or 4x12" cabs almost forever, and I find a good 2x12" the perfect compromise between portability and sound quality, especially since most 2x12" combos are as pleasant to lug around as car batteries are pleasant when connected to one's testicles. :P

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:56 pm

corky newman wrote:I am very happy right now with my Tweed Debeck amp...but man that rocker 30 & marshall cab sounded way cool....
I think my Dabeck can cover more ground sonic wise, but the rocker 30 was killer.
Good to hear Corky... I really like my Old 1989 Mesa 4x12 cab loaded with Cel MC90's.. Everything I plug into it sounds SWEET! Cheers.
Vince

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 pm

My take is that if you have a Rocker 30C, then you essentially have the Rocker 30 head in a box w/ a built in speaker. I used to drive my Orange 412 cab w/ my Rocker 30C sitting on top. I just disconnected the on board speaker to keep from pushing it harder than the 412's. To my ears it is closer to a Marshall sound than the RV50 but w/ out the piercing high end or harshness of a Marshall.

They are very reasonably priced for the head though.

I started out on a single channel Marshall combo and I used to get my clean via turning down the neck pup on a LP (or similar dual HB guitar) and switching via the pup selector. Honestly, I used the clean on the RV50H a lot at first, but I'm finding myself going back to the old ways and using it more like a single channel amp. It just has more character to me w/ that slight amount of dirt under it all.
Last edited by blackcloud45 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm partial to the Tung-Sol 6V6's in my RV50 and the more versatile clean channel not to mention the reverb.

But wholly agree, X the V30's, love my RV50 with my Open Back oversized 2x12 loaded with Scumback M75's! Killer greenback goodness!