EQ Pedal as clean channel

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

EQ Pedal as clean channel

Post by WAWBanks » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Being a Tiny Terror user I only have one channel and I love the dirt but obviously sometimes I just need a clean tone! I noticed Paul Gilbert is now playing through the Marshall Single channel Vintage Modern and using an EQ pedal that HBE made for him:

http://www.paulgilbert.com/DetoxEQ.html

to clean up his overdriven amp so recently I got a cheap EQ pedal and decided to try it myself. It works pretty well actually! I find it's like having an extra channel on my TT that I can EQ as I please and the more I think about it - the less I want a dual terror now.

so now I'm stuck with 3 choices!

1. Should I eventually go for the Dual Terror when it comes out
2. Should I get a better EQ pedal and stick with my TT
3. Wait until I can stop buying pedals long enough to go to the Matamp factory

has anyone tried the EQ Pedal as a virtual clean channel before? What are your opinions?

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:31 pm

I think most people do it the other way - dial in a good clean on the TT and use an overdrive, distortion or boost to push the amp into overdrive. Thats how i do it and i really like it. A friend does it your way with an EQ pedal and it works great, but the volume loss wasn't awesome unless everyone in the band backed off a little when he went clean. The Dual TT might no be the solution for you - the R30 might be a better choice as it has a proper lcean channel. or the AD30.

An awesome alternative is getting a "cleaner" amp and bi-amping, try a search on that on this forum, we've gone over that a few times and a lot of people have been successful on that.

Ayin1
Tiny Terror

Post by Ayin1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:00 pm

I just got a Fender amp for my cleans, but I'm still going to try out the Barber EQ in blackface mode anyway.

Jan

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:13 pm

danbond wrote:I think most people do it the other way - dial in a good clean on the TT and use an overdrive, distortion or boost to push the amp into overdrive. Thats how i do it and i really like it. A friend does it your way with an EQ pedal and it works great, but the volume loss wasn't awesome unless everyone in the band backed off a little when he went clean. The Dual TT might no be the solution for you - the R30 might be a better choice as it has a proper lcean channel. or the AD30.

An awesome alternative is getting a "cleaner" amp and bi-amping, try a search on that on this forum, we've gone over that a few times and a lot of people have been successful on that.

I used to have a rocker 30, but it wasn't for me. I did have two TTs at one point but sold them for the Rocker 30!

So yeah, still having a bit of a muddle with my amp situation but I just can't find a distortion pedal that gives me tone as nice as I get from the Tiny Terror's distortion and 30Watts is a bit too much anyway - I never got my rocker 30 over 12:00 like ever.

Sethery
Orange Hero

Post by Sethery » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me man. You can't replicate the TT's dirty tone, so i would avoid buying distortion boxes for that. I know someone that uses a Dyna Comp in front of his rockerverb to give him a semi clean tone when he needs it, and it works great. You're not gonna get a great crystal clear clean out of it i bet, but i'm sure it will work as long as the EQ pedal has some sort of a level or gain control.
Love, Seth.
Orange PPC-212
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb dual rectifier
Rockerverb50H
PRS Custom 22 ten-top
Ibanez "law suit" Les Paul
Ibanez Jet King
Lots of Pedals (Gonkulator Ring Modulator is my favorite)
http://www.myspace.com/sethsoloproject
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27795172@N05/

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:50 am

the other option is to buy a good EQ pedal... i recommend the MAXON PPE1 parametric eq... if you can find one...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Aj_TinyTerror

Re: EQ Pedal as clean channel

Post by Aj_TinyTerror » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Would you put the EQ pedal BEFORE any other pedals in the chain?
I will messing around with the "EQ to get clean" method and was just wondering.
currently I am rolling:
WAH->MOJOMOJO->HOF Reveb->DITTO Looper-> TT 12" Combo

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 am

Aj_TinyTerror wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 pm
Would you put the EQ pedal BEFORE any other pedals in the chain?
I will messing around with the "EQ to get clean" method and was just wondering.
currently I am rolling:
WAH->MOJOMOJO->HOF Reveb->DITTO Looper-> TT 12" Combo
For the record, I get nervous when someone resurrects an eight year old thread....

First of all, take all of that stuff out of your chain and plug in the EQ pedal direct into the amp and find the sound you want. I'd add the pedals then after it and see how it goes. I don't really see how the EQ pedal is going to give you a clean channel sound out of a TT, but give it a go and let us know how/if it works.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 am

I have a Mad Professor Evolution Orange Underdrive which works similar to the Detox pedal mentioned in an earlier post. Works great on the Tiny Terror, but the amp gain needs to be a light crunch if it’s to make it really clean. Pairs great with a nice overdrive to push the amp into heavier gain. I put this pedal first in the chain as it interacts with the pickups.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 pm

I've experimented with this too with a Boss GE7 and MXR M108, it works fine but I can never really get the quality of tone I would want for the clean tone its kind of dull sounding and even with the EQ sliders I can never get it good enough. I primarily play at home, maybe in a band mix at high volume would get better results.
Thunderverb 50

Aj_TinyTerror

Post by Aj_TinyTerror » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Got my EQ pedal first in pedal chain - after WAH and it is awesome!
Exactly what I was looking for
Thanks everyone