What's your favorite 6L6 for headroom and fender cleans?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 pm

I think this amp might be too bassy, especially with 4x10" and a really bassy preamp section, but I'm not sure. The thing I have a hard time with NOS tubes is that they seem to leave a lot out there to be hoped for or guessed at. What if someone used these tubes in their amp for 30 years and now are selling them? So they've not drifted, but maybe they're just not that great? Maybe they're NOS because they didn't sound all that great in the beginning?

Anyhow, I'm not bashing NOS tubes, I'm just trying to explain why I rather go with current production stuff. That's just me.

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:42 am

On their site the claim, I think, that they start with a great tube that they produce very exactingly and THEN do all the cryo-stuff to really nail.

And if you're so sold on the TADs, then why bother with opinions?!! :P :P :P ......jk
Neiloler wrote:I just have a hard time spending double the money on tubes, I honestly think I'll be checking out the TAD tubes. They sounded heavenly last time, and like I said, if I feel like my tastes have matured past that point, then I'll look for higher heights.

Also, the other thing is that Black Sable doesn't make their tubes, they just apply their secret cryo sauce to other tube brands. That's basically what TAD does, I believe, I don't know if they make their own (though many sites say they do, I'm not sure, I may be believing old info here...).

They're going into a Fender HotRod DeVille that I hope to be fixing up in the next little bit. Year's not important to me, I got it for $330 shipped. :)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:42 am

Haha, good point Bael, it's true, I'm leaning towards the TAD, but I was just curious to see what you guys think. :)

I was thinking they didn't make their tubes because on the TubeDepot it seemed like they just tweak already-made tubes: http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct.html.

Maybe they still make their tubes and do the cryo thing to other tubes, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the input Bael! ;)

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Post by Bentfinger » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:46 am

not_again wrote:BTW Bryce...how much, if at all would, you be willing to let go of an excellent set of matched RCA 6L6's?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have bookoo 6V6's, but am down to the last of my 6L6, and 5881's. If I had spares I'd send you a pair free, just cause you are a stand up guy!
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"