What's your favorite 6L6 for headroom and fender cleans?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Neiloler wrote:
blacklight_uk wrote:The Mesa 440STRs are pretty nice. I love the JJ's I recently put in my amp though :)
And those are JJ 6L6GCs? I know people say the JJs are dark, but I'm finding that some people also say my Rocker 30 is dark, and I love it and I don't find it overly "Dark", just awesome. ;)
Yep 6L6GCs, same as the Mesas I replaced. My Mesa DC-5 is really dark sounding apparently :shock: not to my ears :P I got a really sweet deal on them on eBay. Think I paid £20 for 4 :D The guy had fitted them in his twin, didn't like them so sold them to me 8)
Josh

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi Neil......I really don't think you will beat the TAD 6L6GC str's you had previously......a seriously good current production 6L6.
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:57 pm

I think he means what type of 6L6 tube...not amp.
Winston wrote:Whilst it doesn't possess the headroom you may require, the Fender Pro Reverb would undoubtedly be my favorite.

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:04 pm

I agree with you about that. I mean, some great NOS tubes would undoubtedly sound sweet as pie but for the money it's not worth it...especially on a newer amp. I mean, for the barely discernable difference between a set of good new tubes and a set of ultra-expensive NOS tubes, I would bet the cost factor wouldn't be worth it in comparison. Now, if you had a '59 Bassman 4X10 THEN I would cough up some bucks and put in some 50's-60's 6L6s.

Neiloler wrote:I think I'll stick with current production tubes, though honestly some day I should really look into finding some good NOS tubes I could really sink my amps into.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Whilst it doesn't possess the headroom you may require, the Fender Pro Reverb would undoubtedly be my favorite.

Mr. JWL would be proud of you! :wink:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 pm

BrianGT wrote:Hi Neil......I really don't think you will beat the TAD 6L6GC str's you had previously......a seriously good current production 6L6.
That's what I'm leaning towards. I just remember the tone being heavenly on this amp once I got it retubed. Haha, I sold it because it was big and loud and I wanted an Orange. And now that I have a big, heavy, loud Rocker 30 combo, I want a DeVille back. ;) Both are great amps, I can't wait to ABY them... :twisted: :shock: :D

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Both are great amps, I can't wait to ABY them...

Great BIG cleans from the Fender and all the crunch and beyond from the Orange!

Way to go! :D
BrianGT

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Bael wrote:I agree with you about that. I mean, some great NOS tubes would undoubtedly sound sweet as pie but for the money it's not worth it...especially on a newer amp. I mean, for the barely discernable difference between a set of good new tubes and a set of ultra-expensive NOS tubes, the cost factor isn't worth it in comparison to a set of good new tubes. Now, if you had a '59 Bassman 4X10 THEN I would cough up some bucks and put in some 50's-60's 6L6s.

Neiloler wrote:I think I'll stick with current production tubes, though honestly some day I should really look into finding some good NOS tubes I could really sink my amps into.

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 pm

ALL that stuff about NOS vs new tubes aside....Black Sable 6L6GCs are supposed to be pretty darn tootin' good. Never heard in person but the reviews say they are "very close" to NOS tubes. The best new 6L6 tubes you can buy. Check Tubedepot.com for reviews and price.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Bael wrote:ALL that stuff about NOS vs new tubes aside....Black Sable 6L6GCs are supposed to be pretty darn tootin' good. Never heard in person but the reviews say they are "very close" to NOS tubes. The best new 6L6 tubes you can buy. Check Tubedepot.com for reviews and price.
Yeah, I know people swear by the cryo tubes, but I think for this round I'll go with TAD and move up from there if I feel something lacking. I'm not debating the improvements experienced by people using fancier tubes, I'm just saying I probably won't need them. ;)

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Ah, c'mon! Think of how good those would sound. It seems like they (Black Sable) go through a lot to make their tubes really well. One of the reasons why the NOS are supposed to be so much better isn't because they "aged" like wine, right? It's because since tubes back then were made for REAL electrical equipment and real-life purposes, like testing devices for delicate measurements, that's why they were made so well. Nowadays, even though a tube is claimed to be made exceptionally well they couldn't possibly have gone through the manufacturing-process they USED to.

I really wanted to hear what someone I "know" said about these tubes.

By the way, what type/year amp is this 6L6 powered 4X10?

Neiloler wrote:
Bael wrote:ALL that stuff about NOS vs new tubes aside....Black Sable 6L6GCs are supposed to be pretty darn tootin' good. Never heard in person but the reviews say they are "very close" to NOS tubes. The best new 6L6 tubes you can buy. Check Tubedepot.com for reviews and price.
Yeah, I know people swear by the cryo tubes, but I think for this round I'll go with TAD and move up from there if I feel something lacking. I'm not debating the improvements experienced by people using fancier tubes, I'm just saying I probably won't need them. ;)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:34 pm

I just have a hard time spending double the money on tubes, I honestly think I'll be checking out the TAD tubes. They sounded heavenly last time, and like I said, if I feel like my tastes have matured past that point, then I'll look for higher heights.

Also, the other thing is that Black Sable doesn't make their tubes, they just apply their secret cryo sauce to other tube brands. That's basically what TAD does, I believe, I don't know if they make their own (though many sites say they do, I'm not sure, I may be believing old info here...).

They're going into a Fender HotRod DeVille that I hope to be fixing up in the next little bit. Year's not important to me, I got it for $330 shipped. :)
Last edited by Neiloler on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Bael wrote:I think he means what type of 6L6 tube...not amp.
Winston wrote:Whilst it doesn't possess the headroom you may require, the Fender Pro Reverb would undoubtedly be my favorite.
Yeah, I just noticed that. Doh. :oops:

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Winston wrote:
Haha, hey, no worries Winston, thanks for the feedback! :D Any experience with 6L6GC tubes that you can recommend?

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Neiloler wrote:
Winston wrote:
Haha, hey, no worries Winston, thanks for the feedback! :D Any experience with 6L6GC tubes that you can recommend?
If NOS tubes are not an option (RCA Black Plates can be found for about $50, used, that is), I liked the TADs and the JJs. I've found the JJs, in my experience at least, help calm the sometimes overwhelming treble a Fender can dish out.