Anyone play a Fender 65 Super Reverb........

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:41 am

Bentfinger wrote:I've probably worn you guys out with this.. But a 1968 - through 1973-4 Silverface Super Reverb is the way to go. Just avoid the mid 70's ones with master volume. Gerald Weber has books, and DVD's with the "Black Face", and many other mods for these amps. PTP wired, tube rectifiers, killer reverb. Here's (IMHO) what to look for.. Will probably need a cap job / Original transformers are a bonus / If speakers are original, pull em, save em', install RI's. Mine had org cones, but the voice coils were binding. I installed jensen alinco ri's, and love them. Clean & tighten the tube pins, jacks, replace the speaker harness... Well.. my point is.. a nice nmv SF Super is 1/2 the price of a 65RI, and has great potential... Just take your time looking for the right one.. Here's mine after I replaced the grille cloth and frame.
+100

A local guitar store had 3 old super reverbs at one point. two were the older silver-face non-master volumes, and I ended up taking one of them home with me that day. Out of all the amps I've sold over the past several years, I probably miss that one more than any. Amazing clean tone, and a great platform for pedals. That thing was killer.

fyi, the shop also had a 65ri super reverb there as well at the time. the silverface ran circles around it and cost about half the price.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Post by Bentfinger » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 am

Still a good deal if you take your time looking for the right one.. Sleeper amp.. As are the early sf deluxes and princetons... Thanks Billy.
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 am

Bentfinger wrote:Still a good deal if you take your time looking for the right one.. Sleeper amp.. As are the early sf deluxes and princetons... Thanks Billy.
Yep the original deluxes kill the RI's.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 am

Are the vibroluxes any good?
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 am

feider wrote:Are the vibroluxes any good?
The originals were.That is what Roy Buchanan played.I am sure the new ones aren't the same thing.A friend of mine has an original Deluxe and a RI. Side by side, no contest.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 am

Neiloler wrote:
Bluz57 wrote:Ultimately I will look for another used Victoria amp, or convince my wife to play something different. :lol:
I'm telling ya Clay, I can build you one.
Thing you could build me a
"Suhr Badger 30 Watt Head"?
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!

Ayin1
Tiny Terror

Post by Ayin1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:27 am

I don't have a '65, but I just got a '76. I know they're the least in demand, but I'm very happy with the sound. This one hasn't got a rectifier, so there's no sag, but I bought this to get a crisp and warm clean that stays clean, and at reasonable levels. It does that.

Image[/img]