SG classic p90 owners:

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 pm

jdzasta wrote:Had one, sold it last year - the stock tuners were fine. It was actually one of the better guitars I've ever had for staying in tune. I have a different SG now with Grovers on it, which I like, and I don't notice a significant different in the weight of the headstock.

That weight thing is a problem with all SG's - that's why most long-term SG players experience a broken headstock or two at some point. The heavy headstock wants to go to the ground as soon you're not paying attention and BAM!

The simple solution I have found is using a suede-backed strap - anything that's not slippery on the back. The friction against your shoulder keeps the guitar exactly where you put it and there is no strap slippage. Problem solved.
We actually talked about this on another thread a few weeks ago, but wanted to mention it again... my SG had to have the headstock repaired, and I swear that the guitar tunes easier, is more stable, and has better intonation now than it did before it broke. Weird.
- Nathan

jdzasta

Post by jdzasta » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:42 pm

My current SG also had a headstock repair (twice for the same break, actually). I think mine sounds a lot deader, less resonant because of it. But it seems to stay in tune just fine, though. The luthier that did the repair was top notch.

mikenov

Post by mikenov » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Its almost always the Nut. I had a Heritage H150. Put lockers on it. Still wouldn't stay tuned. took it to the factory, they straightened the neck, said there was a little bow but they didn't get why that killed the tuning. Still didn't stay tuned.
Took it to a good tech, he put a bone nut on it, wala! stays in tune ALL DAY. Every guitar I own goes to the shop for a bone nut now. Not only did it fix my tuning issues, it also made the neck a HELL of allot more resonant.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:43 pm

The tuners on my Gordon Smith are ten times better than on my Les Paul.

And I've got coil-tapped GS pick-ups, so you can get all sorts of tones, including SG honk and chime.

I'd recommend Gordon Smith, but I guess that doesn't help you much stateside?

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 pm

No major problems with mine going out and I beat the heck outta it. Neck dive? Try playing a Firebird for a few months and you won't even notice the neck dive on an SG.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:24 pm

jdzasta wrote:My current SG also had a headstock repair (twice for the same break, actually). I think mine sounds a lot deader, less resonant because of it. But it seems to stay in tune just fine, though. The luthier that did the repair was top notch.
Bummer. Mine is great, I actually prefer the guitar post-repair than pre-break. Just one of those weird things, I guess.
- Nathan

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Re: SG classic p90 owners:

Post by Bluz57 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 pm

stevo2112 wrote:Do you guys (and/or girls) get along with the tuning keys? I want to pick one of these up soon since they've stopped production
Apparently they have started production back:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=517127

Hope so anyway. They are great guitars.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:30 pm

I have always loved SG's, but neck dive was a big issue for me too.

My SG Surpeme was loaded with PRS Phase II locking tuners. They are uber light and helped out loads with neck-dive.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I've been waiting for the opportunity to say this...

Mine are good but sometimes my G string gets loose from too much bending!

ahhahaha :oops:
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:14 pm

xenious wrote:I've been waiting for the opportunity to say this...

Mine are good but sometimes my G string gets loose from too much bending!

ahhahaha :oops:
lol

The G-strings are actually prone to going out of tune on SG's. My tech says it's because of the neck tennon joins with the body. The neck isn't very stable on SG's because the body is so thin/light and there is less wood to support it and keep it stable vs a guitar like a Les Paul.

Off topic, but on the matter of G-strings.

When I worked @ Long & McQuade music, I had a girl come in asking for a G-string and a Big Muff. :twisted: :P
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Sounds like one of mine!