Dual Terror vs Orange Rocker 30 - cant decide!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

panda74

Dual Terror vs Orange Rocker 30 - cant decide!

Post by panda74 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi Folks,

Long time reader. First time poster.

Ok, heres my dilemma. Should I get the Dual Terror or the Rocker? My tax rebate has just come in, and its burning a hole in my pocket.

Ive played the Rocker and , well, ..it rocks! I also have the TT. The TT is the best amp I own, hands down. I have a Fender DRRI, a Rivera, and I still rate the TT above them, with my Epi Valve Junior coming in second. It must be the Class A sound!

The Dual has el34's? correct? and so does the Rocker... The Dual is made in China, I assume, while the Rocker is made in the UK... andboth are Class A.

Im torn. Help!

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Hmm, I'd follow your gut feeling :)
Asking us is like tossing a coin... some of us like the darker sounding TT better (like me), others the more clean voice of the Rocker.
The Rocker is a little more versatile than the TT though, but since you already own a Fender you might not need to clean channel... (you can bi-amp them)
I really can't help you actually :)

What kind of music do you play? Why do you want to upgrade your TT? More power or because of the Fat channel in the DT or the Natural channel in the Rocker? They are kinda opposite you know :P

To make things harder, in most cases the combo AC30 + Orange = awesome 8)
Now I play a strat into a TT, but I think one day my setup will be Strat/Tele/Les Paul with P90s into AC30 for cleans /AD30 for dirty. Pedals would be a tuner into a switchbox. Should kick major butt.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Sell your TT, get a Dual Terror, and a R30. :D
- Nathan

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:59 pm

nguideau wrote:Sell your TT, get a Dual Terror, and a R30. :D
Or keep your TT and still buy both! I think you need to start a collection! :D

Seriously though, just check 'em both out in the store if you can. I think if you already have the TT, it might make more sense to buy the Rocker 30 which is a really sweet amp.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panda74

Post by panda74 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:27 pm

hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Ive got the three wisemen (LP, Strat, and a 52 Tele). well, Ive added a second LP. Dont tell the wife!! Its hiding in the basement now.. :wink:

I play rock, from Oasis , the Stones, the Allmans to the Kinks, going psychedelic with the Verve and Air, and finally jamming out on Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Rocker too. The extra 500 bucks is worth it in my opinion. Ill probably wind up getting all three one day. hehe, GAS is good.

I was just curios on how the TT channel on the dual terror is now voiced with EL34's. Probably freaking ROCKIN!

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Dual Terror:
+ 2 channels of gain (good if you need it)
+ Small and portable
- No real EQ
- No natural channel

R30
+ Natural and Dirty channel (with loads of gain)
+ Proper EQ on the dirty channel
- No EQ on the natural channel
- Big and bulky

Obviously, the fact that the R30 looks like a "proper" amp is subjective - I'd go for portable every time.

I'd go R30 - its more flexible and despite being bulkier (and having not played either amp to any real degree) covers more bases. if you have a TT already, the DT might not be a real improvement -you can always Mic a TT if you need more volume.

BrentD
Tiny Terror

Post by BrentD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 pm

The Rocker 30 and TT/DTT are EL84 amps, not EL34 amps. That is, if I'm not mistaken.

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:55 pm

Rocker 30- EL34

Dual Terror and Tiny Terror- EL84

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:56 pm

BrentD wrote:The Rocker 30 and TT/DTT are EL84 amps, not EL34 amps. That is, if I'm not mistaken.
The Rocker 30 is EL34, not sure on the DTT though.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrentD
Tiny Terror

Post by BrentD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Looks like I was mistaken! Haha.

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm

airforce_brian wrote:
BrentD wrote:The Rocker 30 and TT/DTT are EL84 amps, not EL34 amps. That is, if I'm not mistaken.
The Rocker 30 is EL34, not sure on the DTT though.
We had a topic a few weeks ago about if the DTT would put the AD30 out of production since they would both be EL84 30 watt amps...

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm

BrentD wrote:Looks like I was mistaken! Haha.
:wink:

Mossbank
Rocker

Post by Mossbank » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:08 pm

I was having a similar dilema. I think the Rocker 30 is calling my name though...

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm

The character of the gain on the Rocker will be quite different from the Dual Terror's...Due to the EL34's versus the EL84's. So I would listen to the Rocker and your tiny terror to hear the differences before you decided. The Dual terror will basically just be a louder version of the TT with a fat channel, where as the Rocker will sound significantly different.

Good luck!

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm

danbond wrote:Dual Terror:
+ 2 channels of gain (good if you need it)
+ Small and portable
- No real EQ
- No natural channel

R30
+ Natural and Dirty channel (with loads of gain)
+ Proper EQ on the dirty channel
- No EQ on the natural channel
- Big and bulky
I think amps should not have EQs. One tone control like the 2061x and TT have works way better in my opinion... But thats just me :)