rush to your local store ASAP! New way to improve tone!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

rush to your local store ASAP! New way to improve tone!!!

Post by Wired » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 pm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10210 ... ncol;title

:shock:

what will they think sounds better next? Cotton undies vs silk?
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 pm

I guess if the signal is going through it, it will affect the sound. They always say your tone is only as good as the weakest link.

If I spent a lot of money on a Hi Fi system, and these weren't to expensive, I'd give 'em a go.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Drek, total dreck... Nobody is going to be able to tell the difference having that in there system!

The whole consumer cables thing really gets my goat, you can buy on amazon $500 Cat6 and HDMI cables, that supposidly reduce noise. Erm, its a digital signal, with built in error correction!

notagain

Post by notagain » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 am

For $39.00 you could probably gold plate them yourself...still doubt you would hear any difference what so ever....

Of course unless you were "Bendman"!

:P :P

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:01 am

Now I've seen it all. Amazing. Your signal doesn't flow through the fuses, the AC to the circuit does. Now I'm all for cleaning up AC from hum and all that, but this is not cleaning up anything. Amazing.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 am

I can't believe all the naysaying! I noticed a great improvement in my tone after I opted for a gold crown on a broken molar. That stuff just works man, I know it!
Greg

notagain

Post by notagain » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:51 am

Norrin Radd wrote:I can't believe all the naysaying! I noticed a great improvement in my tone after I opted for a gold crown on a broken molar. That stuff just works man, I know it!
Greg's got the right idea...I am going to have all my teeth crowned with gold!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:17 am

Hang on... surely that only works if you play your guitar with your teeth?

Hendrix eat your heart out...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:43 am

Thing about this is that as long as the (insert correct name here, I call it "string" for now) isn't gold it just won't make a difference.

In one of my tube threads I talked about whether an improvement for tone could be phychological. I definitely think these gold plated fuses falls under that category.

For what it's worth, I spoke to my tech about this and he said that he have tried gold plated this and that throughout the years and thinks it's bogus.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 am

Ugh. This kind of "ultimate tone" bulls*** makes me retch.

Unless you're listening to a $10,000 audio system in a room with perfect acoustic correction and you have 100% hearing in both ears, "upgrading" your fuses is going to make such a microscopic difference that you'd literally need a range of advanced scientific devices to measure it.

Audio equipment sounds different depending on where you're running it. It sounds different depending on what you're running through it. It sounds different depending on how long you run it for. It sounds different depending on the air temperature and humidity. And crucially it sounds different depending on what mood you're in, how tired you are, what time of the day it is and what you've been listening to beforehand.

So yeah, I'd heartily encourage people to replace their fuses with $39-apiece bling-bling upgrades, and then they should get their speaker cones replaced with imported chinese silk, and their cabs recovered with monogrammed bengal tiger skin, and they should get all the chassis screws recast in titanium alloy, and while they're at it they should have replacement knobs made out of diamonds. And then they should take all the money they have left, make a big pile of it in the middle of the street, and throw on a lit match.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 am

MaxRossell wrote:Ugh. This kind of "ultimate tone" bulls*** makes me retch.

Unless you're listening to a $10,000 audio system in a room with perfect acoustic correction and you have 100% hearing in both ears, "upgrading" your fuses is going to make such a microscopic difference that you'd literally need a range of advanced scientific devices to measure it.

Audio equipment sounds different depending on where you're running it. It sounds different depending on what you're running through it. It sounds different depending on how long you run it for. It sounds different depending on the air temperature and humidity. And crucially it sounds different depending on what mood you're in, how tired you are, what time of the day it is and what you've been listening to beforehand.

So yeah, I'd heartily encourage people to replace their fuses with $39-apiece bling-bling upgrades, and then they should get their speaker cones replaced with imported chinese silk, and their cabs recovered with monogrammed bengal tiger skin, and they should get all the chassis screws recast in titanium alloy, and while they're at it they should have replacement knobs made out of diamonds. And then they should take all the money they have left, make a big pile of it in the middle of the street, and throw on a lit match.
Halleluja!
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Also know as the placebo effect. 8)

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Neiloler wrote:Now I've seen it all. Amazing. Your signal doesn't flow through the fuses
Actually for the application they're talking about, the signal does flow through the fuses:

"My Magnepan 3.6R speakers have a total of four fuses (two in each speaker)"
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

BrentD
Tiny Terror

Post by BrentD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:53 pm

Didn't someone do a test where alleged audiophiles ended up not being able to tell the difference between Monster cables and wire coathangers?

BrentD
Tiny Terror

Post by BrentD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:54 pm