Maple fretboard Gibby's :(

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 pm

blackcloud45 wrote:
Brutalitarian Supremacy wrote:
blackcloud45 wrote:I've actually seen a maple necked / fretboard LP Custom a long time ago and it was kind of cool. I think that dirty Zakk Wylde has one too. These ar fugly though.
...a good friend of mine has a couple of Gibson Marauder's & Challenger's from the late 70's/ early 80's which all had maple fb's(i think)...they sound killer imho...but those guitar's are laughable!
What does that say in your sig? It's driving me crazy :shock:
Varulv Orden, I postulate...

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I think they are awesome....

I can't stop going back and looking at them. Not so big on the pauls...it just looks a lil strange....

But an SG with a maple neck and board... can you say CLEAR sounding Gibson?!

I'm so phyced up for this... I was thinking of getting a worn SG because I really miss my SG's and don't wanna spend a lot of money....

but now that this is announced I think I'll get one of them! I'm totally phyced for these!

Yellow or Green SG for the win!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Well if you wanted something like these you could probably get one made using Warmoth body parts, but from talking with my tech who has dealt with Warmoth before, they only have bolt on necks. So you won't be able to do a set neck like Gibson does from them.

Man that sucks. Guess I'll just stick with getting a Schecter Tempest and replacing the pickups and pots. :(
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 am

CD9266 wrote:Well if you wanted something like these you could probably get one made using Warmoth body parts, but from talking with my tech who has dealt with Warmoth before, they only have bolt on necks. So you won't be able to do a set neck like Gibson does from them.

Man that sucks. Guess I'll just stick with getting a Schecter Tempest and replacing the pickups and pots. :(

Ahhh, I've played a Warmoth Gibson copy... it's a strat style neck in both shape and scale... the 24 scale stuff from Warmoth....well it made it a one pickup guitar in the past... so I think I'll stay with a real Gibby.

I'll do Warmoth for a tele tho!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:24 am

Gibson have lost the plot, big-style.

They need to stop all this flavour-of-the-month stuff, stop drilling holes in stuff and putting out tribal BC Rich ripoffs and installing coffee-makers in their headstocks and all that s***, and focus on making improvements to their five or six core flagship models.

And by that, I don't mean "Discontinue our core flagship models and produce new-fangled versions of them with modern this and transparent that and locking the other and a wide range of puke-green finishes", I mean "take our existing models that people have grown to love over the past few decades, refine their existing features to perfection and improve their construction processes so we can be sure that every single one of the guitars leaving our factory is worth every penny of the hundreds, often thousands people are paying for them."

Seems obvious to me. But not to them, apparently.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:06 pm

MaxRossell wrote:Gibson have lost the plot, big-style.

They need to stop all this flavour-of-the-month stuff, stop drilling holes in stuff and putting out tribal BC Rich ripoffs and installing coffee-makers in their headstocks and all that s***, and focus on making improvements to their five or six core flagship models.

And by that, I don't mean "Discontinue our core flagship models and produce new-fangled versions of them with modern this and transparent that and locking the other and a wide range of puke-green finishes", I mean "take our existing models that people have grown to love over the past few decades, refine their existing features to perfection and improve their construction processes so we can be sure that every single one of the guitars leaving our factory is worth every penny of the hundreds, often thousands people are paying for them."

Seems obvious to me. But not to them, apparently.
Maybe their marketing department got switched with their building department? Sounds like a fantastic idea... Let's put all of their brains in place of people who actually know how to build guitars and see what they can come up with...
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I still think 2006/07 were the best years in recent for Gibson....

The finishes for the Les Pauls were amazing! There was some great colors available for every player.

The SG had that beautiful Natural Burst, and the Classic P90 version.

Double cut fadeds.... oh so many great guitars!
-LK

kelv_w

Post by kelv_w » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:16 am

IMO, the worst thing they've done with these, design-wise, is the inlays. Black trapezoids or blocks would have made these really nice looking. As is, the fretboards look like the white chocolate chunk cookies from Subway. :shock:

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 am

Wired wrote:I still think 2006/07 were the best years in recent for Gibson....

The finishes for the Les Pauls were amazing! There was some great colors available for every player.

The SG had that beautiful Natural Burst, and the Classic P90 version.

Double cut fadeds.... oh so many great guitars!
Agreed. I don't even think they do a doublecut these days, except for maybe the TV special, is that right?