I'm afraid that my Paul is a mud slinger

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master
Posts: 4703
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Stock Les Paul Classic all the way!
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

jojo68
Orange Master
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Post by jojo68 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:00 pm

The BB's in my LP are anything but muddy. I'll take a LP over a tele ANY day.

CustomsLou
Orange Master
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

Post by CustomsLou » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:02 pm

All of the pseudo-experts on LPs come out with their bull s h i t yet again.

If you're getting mud out of a LP neck pickup and you can't correct it, then you don't know what you're doing, plain and simple.

Don't like to hear that?

Too bad, it's the truth.

Either your amp setting are wrong, or your pickup is wrong, or you've got cheap pots and caps in there.

Or maybe your Orange amp is wrong for humbuckers, which is why I sold my RV50.

If the pots and caps are original, change them, as ESBlonde said, and put them in wired '50s style.

If you change pots/caps/pickups and it's still muddy, then it's your amp settings or your amp is wrong for humbuckers.

There are plenty of amps that are not suited to humbuckers, and plenty not suited to single coils.

Those amps are 1-trick ponies and will never be anything else.

Do you really think that every LP used in making thousands of recordings had a muddy neck pickup?

If you believe that then the only thing muddy is your thinking.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master
Posts: 3025
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:47 am
Location: USA

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:25 pm

RS Guitarworks for the pots and electronics. I have their guts in my guitar and it sounds great. Your volume knob on the guitar becomes like a master volume knob on the amp.
Bob

Image


http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobbypfalcon
Orange Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: USA

Post by bobbypfalcon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm

I think this mud thing is sort of inaccurate... I'm a Les Paul player but I own, and regularly play many other guitars. This may sound stupid, but you need to set the amp differently for a Tele or a Strat or a Les Paul, etc, etc... To my ears, Teles and Strats are thinner, snappier-sounding instruments and I have to set the gain and eq different for each, so I can fully enjoy their unique tones. Les Pauls are - to me - bassier, fuller-sounding guitars. I've never had anyone call my LP('81 Standard, stock pickups) tone muddy and I know I cut through regardless of whom I'm playing with or what I'm playing. If I play a Strat through my RV50, I have to boost the bass to compensate for the most part, and I usually back off the gain a tad as well. But I always seem to be able to dial in a tone I like for any guitar... Just my two cents. peace

divadisvet
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:04 am
Location: USA

Post by divadisvet » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:37 pm

CustomsLou wrote:All of the pseudo-experts on LPs come out with their bull s h i t yet again.

If you're getting mud out of a LP neck pickup and you can't correct it, then you don't know what you're doing, plain and simple.

Don't like to hear that?

Too bad, it's the truth.
I detect a bit of venom here... :?
DD

CustomsLou
Orange Master
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

Post by CustomsLou » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:53 pm

divadisvet wrote:
CustomsLou wrote:All of the pseudo-experts on LPs come out with their bull s h i t yet again.

If you're getting mud out of a LP neck pickup and you can't correct it, then you don't know what you're doing, plain and simple.

Don't like to hear that?

Too bad, it's the truth.
I detect a bit of venom here... :?
Plenty of venom, because we go through this nonsense all of the time here.

somedude
Orange Hero
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Canada

Post by somedude » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm

CustomsLou wrote:All of the pseudo-experts on LPs come out with their bull s h i t yet again.

If you're getting mud out of a LP neck pickup and you can't correct it, then you don't know what you're doing, plain and simple.

Don't like to hear that?

Too bad, it's the truth.
While I agree with you, you could've said it better.

Beyond that, you never really said anything new. If you're going to be condensending, then atleast be good at it.

Les Paul -> Electric Amp 120w MV* -> Electric 4x12 + Orange 4x12

* or a 2-ch Dual Rectifier.. depending on how I feel.


CustomsLou
Orange Master
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

Post by CustomsLou » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:59 pm

No, I couldn't have said it better.

I said it exactly as I meant to say it, with no qualifications whatsoever.

I don't see the Gibson haters qualifying what they say.

I stand by what I said, and I can back it up with 40+ years of experience.

If you view it as condescending, that's your opinion, and I really don't care how you view it.

Companyman
Orange Hero
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:38 am
Location: USA

Post by Companyman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:13 pm

wow , guys ...lets dial back the vitriol around here...it's not HCFX ! I think it's funny how defensive guitarists get about their brand of guitar. :lol:
c'mon people now
smile on your brother
everybody get together
try to love one another right now ! :P
http://www.myspace.com/earmarksaints
http://www.myspace.com/ceoman

My user name is everything that I am NOT !

somedude
Orange Hero
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Canada

Post by somedude » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 pm

CustomsLou wrote:No, I couldn't have said it better.

I said it exactly as I meant to say it, with no qualifications whatsoever.

I don't see the Gibson haters qualifying what they say.

I stand by what I said, and I can back it up with 40+ years of experience.

If you view it as condescending, that's your opinion, and I really don't care how you view it.
Someone needs a cold beer and a time out from the internet... :P

Fair's fair. I go through days like that too. In fact, I think I'm going through something similar in the V30 thread... only I edited my response 5 or 6 times trying to tone down my irritation so I didn't get another warning.

Les Paul -> Electric Amp 120w MV* -> Electric 4x12 + Orange 4x12

* or a 2-ch Dual Rectifier.. depending on how I feel.


Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master
Posts: 3148
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:39 am
Location: In the beautyful North , UK
Contact:

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:16 pm

As previously suggested give a P90 a try - theres plenty of humbucker size ones , these will not be muddy ... What have u got to loose ?.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30
Image

CustomsLou
Orange Master
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

Post by CustomsLou » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm

somedude wrote:
Someone needs a cold beer and a time out from the internet... :P

Fair's fair. I go through days like that too. In fact, I think I'm going through something similar in the V30 thread... only I edited my response 5 or 6 times trying to tone down my irritation so I didn't get another warning.
I appreciate that you're trying to defuse my anger, but I'm really not angry.

You've been here for only a few months, so you haven't seen all of the Gibson bashing.

It's been going on for a few years here, with no end in sight.

It's almost as bad as the Tokai forums, where they bash Gibson all the time.

Enough is enough.

There is no reason to denigrate what other people own in this world.

Those that do it should analyze why they feel the need to do it.

Dunky
Orange Expert
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: I'm afraid that my Paul is a mud slinger

Post by Dunky » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:damn...i just bought a tele and it made me realize what a mud slinger my les paul is. i love the look of this guitar and i've bonded with it...i don't know what to do. i've lusted over the new es 339s so maybe i'll sell it to finance the purchase of one of those.

the tele sounds incredible through my AD30, you guys were right about that. its like hearing a brand new amp
Maybe it's just the new gear honeymoon effect.
You must have liked your les paul before the tele.
Lost count of the times new gear has seduced me to the dark side and I find myself thinking all my other stuff was no good.
They probably sound different because 1 is a tele and the other is a les paul, they were made to be different,
In a few weeks you,ll realise the les paul is just as good then you'll be in a great position of being able to pick the right tool for the mood you are in
:D
Image

screamingdaisy
Orange Master
Posts: 1324
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:38 pm
Location: Canada

Post by screamingdaisy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:57 pm

CustomsLou wrote:
somedude wrote:
Someone needs a cold beer and a time out from the internet... :P

Fair's fair. I go through days like that too. In fact, I think I'm going through something similar in the V30 thread... only I edited my response 5 or 6 times trying to tone down my irritation so I didn't get another warning.
I appreciate that you're trying to defuse my anger, but I'm really not angry.

You've been here for only a few months, so you haven't seen all of the Gibson bashing.

It's been going on for a few years here, with no end in sight.

It's almost as bad as the Tokai forums, where they bash Gibson all the time.
Been here a bit longer than a few months. :wink:

Gibson bashing doesn't generally get to me unless there's alot of mis-informatino involved. I see the same sh*t the other way with people claiming that Strats are only capable of sounding bright and thin.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests