what? really? stupid people

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

what? really? stupid people

Post by Wired » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:08 pm

I've been going through the want adds for musicians and posting my own locally and I have found a few promising groups.

The one that is the most promising is a pretty bassic rock band that needs a singer and guitarist... score! They are pretty phyced and want me in, they got some stage experience, but not a whole lot...

So they reply with "we'll be happy for you to come out next week. But I'm a little worried that our band is not exactly up to your level. You've done quite a bit of music haven't you?"

Well, yea, 21 years. I've been involved in music since I was three...

"ummm.... well we'll try it."

wouldn't you want a skilled musician in your ranks? I'm a songwriter, I know theory, but I'm not a highly skilled guitarist, amature at best... so I think they will laugh and go "you've been doing music for 21 years?"

lol

The other group... is basing what I can do off my last groups...and they say I'm not what their looking for anymore because I seem to play a lot of punk/alt/blues rock and not a lot of metal. ummm... so? That was my last band. Why can't I expand and play other styles?

This was so much easier back in highschool.... :roll:
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Post by Bentfinger » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:27 am

I like this one. I found it when Bandmix started charging. They have a page for many different cities. Ck craigslist too. http://atlanta.communitymusician.com/mu ... =mc_search
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:09 am

I've been in the same situation as well lately. Of course people wanna know what you've done and all that, and my only other real band background is completely "street punk"... what I wanna do these days is completely NOT that. So when trying to join up with people doing music that I wanna do, I really don't have any sound files to send them even though I can absolutely play their style. I'm reluctant every time to let them know who I was playing with and all that. I'm always stuck explaining, "I did this in my past, was very successful with it, but my style these days is completely different."
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:47 am

It seems awfully counter intuitive for the metal band to judge you on your past bands, and not bring you in to at least jam with them. I mean, THEY are the ones looking for a member, right?

I'm really happy being in band, even if we don't play on the regular (split between two states, but not for long)... I've entertained the notion of finding another band to play with as a "hobby" or whatever, but I absolutely DREAD having to go through that process. Especially since every band I've been in has been with people I know already. AND especially since all of we musicians are weirdo neurotics with strong personalities and hard heads.

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:30 am

Personally I've always preferred to put bands together rather than join existing ones. If you're a songwriter, joining an already established band can often lead to you being forced into writing stuff that doesn't necessarily fit what you want to be doing, or to just having your ideas rejected altogether. I've been in that situation a couple of times, and since then I don't think I'd ever want to be in a "new kid" situation again, especially in a band where I'd also be expected to significantly contribute to the material.

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 am

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Bandeapart wrote:I've been in the same situation as well lately. Of course people wanna know what you've done and all that, and my only other real band background is completely "street punk"... what I wanna do these days is completely NOT that. So when trying to join up with people doing music that I wanna do, I really don't have any sound files to send them even though I can absolutely play their style. I'm reluctant every time to let them know who I was playing with and all that. I'm always stuck explaining, "I did this in my past, was very successful with it, but my style these days is completely different."
Failure is not an option, ever...keep plugging away, someone will soon realize what you can offer them and how much better their sound will be with you!

Stay positive and focused, but I know you are!

Have a great day! 8)

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 am

I love Reel Big Fish!

They put on a great show too!

Anyways, I'm starting up a new group. Got the drummer from one of my past bands (second best drummer I've ever played with), and a girl from work is gonna sing.

Just gotta find a bassist!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

bassdrop
Orange Master

Re: what? really? stupid people

Post by bassdrop » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 pm

Wired wrote:I've been going through the want adds for musicians and posting my own locally and I have found a few promising groups.

The one that is the most promising is a pretty bassic rock band that needs a singer and guitarist... score! They are pretty phyced and want me in, they got some stage experience, but not a whole lot...

So they reply with "we'll be happy for you to come out next week. But I'm a little worried that our band is not exactly up to your level. You've done quite a bit of music haven't you?"

Well, yea, 21 years. I've been involved in music since I was three...

"ummm.... well we'll try it."
Sounds to me like a veiled way of saying "well, we really kinda suck, but if you'd like to come over and jam and drink some beers, we can do that....oh yeah, and, uh...can you bring some beer?"

IMO, when I was looking for people to play with, I had a lot more luck going to open mics and gigs with friend's bands to network and get the word out than I ever did by answering ads. There's a lot of bs groups that you have to wade through to find anyone decent.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah I've had horrible experience with Ads... I've never been the one trying to join a band either. I was forced into the band I'm in by my bass player.

I get a call one afternoon and my bass player goes "Hey, get your guitar and amp packed up, I'll be there in 10 minutes, your joining a band." Click.

"Okay..."

haha

Anyways I've only ever had one good experience from an ad. That was when our current singer answered our ad on PA Musician (free music magazine) and he had his stuff together and knew what he was doing and we knew what we wanted. He's awesome. One of the best singers I've known.

We've had people come in to try out music spots who had absolutely no clue what they were doing with their particular instrument off of Ads.

I think that just throwing a few people together and jamming and then going from there to shows and whatnot is the best way to do it.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Rimnorezn
Tiny Terror

Post by Rimnorezn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Man, I wish someone had sent me that link 3 years ago...
Orange AD30TC
www.sonicdeathray.com

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:52 am

Update on stupid people...

So I started a new band, using my fav drummer that I've ever played with (great skills, lots of creativty, needs a meternome, but other than that awesome! also an all around good guy)

However, the bassist and second guitarist are just deserving of a forehead smacking.

I wrote this song over the weekend. four and half minutes long the way I have it written.

There's no chorus. And they flipped over it! "wheres the structure" they say.

Well there are "lines that repeat' (ie: the hook, so the chorus could be those lines that are repeated about five times, but only last 4 counts), but no defined chorus.

Does every song need to be verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus?

what the bleeding crap is that about?!

My drummer cut them. it was kinda funny, because he's always passive about that kinda BS.
-LK

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 am

So far my solution has been to write my own stuff and then find good musicians to play the other instruments for recordings and gigging (although the latter has not happened yet... working on it)
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:49 am

Wired wrote:Update on stupid people...

So I started a new band, using my fav drummer that I've ever played with (great skills, lots of creativty, needs a meternome, but other than that awesome! also an all around good guy)

However, the bassist and second guitarist are just deserving of a forehead smacking.

I wrote this song over the weekend. four and half minutes long the way I have it written.

There's no chorus. And they flipped over it! "wheres the structure" they say.

Well there are "lines that repeat' (ie: the hook, so the chorus could be those lines that are repeated about five times, but only last 4 counts), but no defined chorus.

Does every song need to be verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus?

what the bleeding crap is that about?!

My drummer cut them. it was kinda funny, because he's always passive about that kinda BS.
im so tired about hearing songs in that order.
i realized i feel for a song so much more when i forget where the breaks are between the verse, chorus, etc. it just flows sooo much better.
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 am

There doesn't necessarily need to be an obvious break, but it does help lend structure to a song. Verses tend to point to choruses or bridges, and for me, songs that don't have some sort of structure to them tend to sound incomplete, no matter how technically adept they are.

Snow Patrol are a good example of how verse/chorus style of writing really works.

That being said, Wired, it's your song. They can hack it apart when they start writing stuff too, but they might have a point. Try running it past a couple of other mates in original & revised formats...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...