OT: what bands/albums are you hooked on lately?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:43 am

just got back from a little road trip with the moms. was fun, but i had to bring all music that she'd like so's to have something to dig in the car without resorting to the 2 or 3 good cds she has. any-who, led me to think of what else i've been listening to a lot lately and do some comparing, see what everyone else is diggin.

road trip discs:
nada surf - lucky: this band just keeps getting better. some of the most sugary sweet pop hooks. tracks that stick in yr head for days. awesome.
pavement - brighten the corners nicene creedence edition: the first of the pvmt reissue series where i could notice any improvement in sound quality over the older albums. 'harness yr hopes' is running high for my favorite pvmt track of all time.
jawbreaker - dear you: i shouldn't even have to say anything about this album. blake schwarzenbach is one of my favorite songwriters of all time.
mirah - c'mon miracle: really poppy, awesome folk songs. super fun live show.
alkaline trio - crimson: a lot of peeps hate on recent trio stuff, but i love it just as much as the older jams.
black lips - good bad not evil: oh man oh man oh man. i wanna get these guys to come here for a show so bad. awesome, fuzzed out throwback garage rock.

other stuff:
boris smile.
between the buried and me - colors.
big lebowski sdtrk.
smashing pumpkins - siamese dream.
red house painters - old ramon.

what about you guys/girls?
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 am

King Crimson: Power to Believe

Frank Zappa: Guitar

The Faint: Wet From Birth

Decemberists: Picaresque

Fall Of Troy: Doppelganger

Michael Jackson: Thriller (I wanna love {PYT} pretty young thing!)
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:56 am

Mew - Frengers

The Scaramangas - All is Good Now

Taylor Swift - Fearless

polishdog90
Rocker

Post by polishdog90 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:17 am

I have been really into post-rock lately.

Bands:
Mogwai
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Explosions in the Sky
God is an Astronaut

I just bought them all on vinyl.

Other bands/groups/people:
Dan Sartain
Janelle Monae
Moby
Infected Mushroom
Sublime

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:22 am

Joy Division - both albums
Warsaw

fin.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 am

And Chinese-Fork-Tie, I re-read your list, and I was surprised and happy to see a little Nada Surf in there. Hyvåå.

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 am

Elbow- The seldom seen kid
Oceansize- Everyone into position
Explosions in the sky-(any album)
Dizzee Rascal- Maths and English
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:58 am

Fight like Apes - and the mystery of the gold medallion
Qotsa - Era Vulgaris
Crooked Still - Shaken by a low sound
Kyuss - welcome to sky vally
Pink Floyd - the wall
Presidents of the USA - self titled

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:05 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />And Chinese-Fork-Tie, I re-read your list, and I was surprised and happy to see a little Nada Surf in there. Hyvåå.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

love nada surf. it's funny to chart the development of their music from the alt-rock mid-90's to the dreamy beautiful stuff they're getting into now, but i love all of it.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am

forgot to add...

wire - pink flag/chairs missing. ex-lion tamer and outdoor miner are possibly the best examples of amazing songwriting and hooks from the post-punk era.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 am

Foals
Test Icicles

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:41 am

the black keys most recent album, attack and release
the black keys guitarist/singer solo album, called keep it hid by dan auerbach
joni mitchell, blue. pure genius
hendrix, electric lady land. genius album, i pull it out every 6 months are just sit there in awe every time.
kings of leon. this band has a few genius songs but most of it is filler crap
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
White Stripes - White Stripes & Icky Thump
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say I am...
Peter Gabriel - Up
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Peter Gabriel - Up
U2 - No Line On the Horizon
Brad Paisley - Play
The Panic Channel - ONe
Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards/The Magician's Birthday
Yngwie Malsteen - Rising Force
Moulin Rouge - Soundtrack

:)
Greg

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 pm

The BTC re-issue is definitely the "best" when it comes to the actual improvement in the mix. But as far as the b-sides and "unreleased" material that comes from that era, it's a lot weaker than the other re-issues. Makes sense though -- BTC is still a great album, but nothing compared to the previous three full-lengths, and the EPs Pacific Trim and Watery, Domestic.

But, there are a few gems from that era on the reissue. "Harness Your Hopes" is a great pop song, and for some reason I can't figure out, it seems to be THE song that got LOTS of people hooked on Pavement. Wonder if it was on a soundtrack or on a TV show or something. A really good version of "And Then (The Hexx)" is on there, great great song. That song sounds like a pre-cursor to the more classic rock influence sound Malkmus plays with The Jicks today. "Winner of the" is one of the best Spiral Stairs songs.

I mean, I love Pavement so much I can't say any of their songs aren't great, but relatively speaking, there are less "gems" on the BTC re-issue than the others. "Westie" and "Cataracts" and "Beautiful as a Butterfly" are all real good songs, but admittedly a little more boring.

The other gem, and one of Spiral's best songs, that didn't make it onto this re-issue because of some rights issues with some Dutch TV station was "Preston School of Industry". A really basic pop song, but cleverly crafted pop harmonies and fun lyrics helped it stand out from most of the other stuff they wrote during the BTC era. Hopefully Matador works something out before the Terror Twilight "Farewell Horizontal" Edition and we get it with that because the TT era is even more bare of great b-sides/rarities. Honestly, the best tracks from the TT era are probably the stuff Malkmus was writing on his own that ultimately became parts of his first solo album (for instance, if you've ever seen the Slow Century DVD, there's a scene during recording for TT where he's playing a raw version of "Discretion Grove", which ultimately came out with his s/t solo album instead of TT).

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation. This is what happens when someone brings up Pavement on this board. :)

Dear You is awesome. I'm pretty sure that anyone who says, "I love Jawbreaker, except for Dear You" is just trying to get scene points. Nobody actually believes that. Dear You is clearly the best record that Blake has ever waxed, it's not even funny. I dislike the ethics of most major labels as much as the next guy, but you have to admit, they have the resources to produce a NICE record.

A little OT, but another story about a great band recording on a major label budget -- Drive Like Jehu. They did their debut full-length and got some attention for it. Then Rocket From the Crypt burst on the scene (same guys) and the major labels took notice. I think it was Interscope that wanted to sign RFTC, but they would only sign a deal if they would put out a Jehu album. So Interscope agreed. Jehu recorded Yank Crime, one of my all-time favorites, on Interscope's dollar, and the production is fantastic. So much better than the original full-length. The RFTC record did decent, but the Jehu record bombed (by major standards), so Interscope pretty much put it out of print before it was even released. So the story goes, Yank Crime fell back into the laps of the band, and they essentially self-released a great album, recorded on a major's budget, under their indie label Swami.

Fun story.
- Nathan