If you no longer play Orange what did you move to?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Just thought this would be an interesting thread!

Please remember to post your reasons for the change, what you like and prefer about your new amp and whether you ever consider going back :)

Oh, and remember we won't believe your amp exists without pics :D
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

jonas1

Post by jonas1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:30 pm

I moved from R30 to Engl Fireball, don´t darn me!
Need straighter sound and bigger bottoms for my current band but I hope I will come back with RV100 one day (it won´t take a long time huh)..
Still use Orange cab so I am an Half-Orange:D
Here are few pics;)

"The second day is always better than the first."

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:36 pm

I still have my Tiny Terror, but I don't know if I will in the future.

I loved my Tiny Terror when I got it, and still do, amazing amp....for overdrive. I thought I would be able to squeeze some cleans out of it. I play mainly blues and jazz, and <b>occasionally</b> some rock. The overdrive/distortion was amazing...absolutely what I wanted. I play it through a Laney Lionheart 2x12 with the stock G12H heritage speakers in it. Well, I couldn't get the cleans out of it I wanted and I don't play with much distortion, just clean to slight breakup most of the time. Every once in a while I like to crank the gain...but only a few times a month. So, I started looking for an amp with LOUD and very nice bluesy cleans around about 1.5K and under...I narrowed it down to a Fender 1965 RI Twin Reverb and Super Reverb, and a Bassman RI. I had nowhere to play the Super or the Bassman, but one music shop had the TRRI. I went in and played it and absolutely loved it. Everything I wanted in an amp. BUT...the guys there were jerks. SO, I went to the other music shop down the street who is very nice and professional and he ordered me one and gave me a deal on it. :D Came away with a Fender Twin Reverb 1965 RI that my local music shop gave me a deal on:

I still love my Tiny Terror for overdrive, Hendrix, Zeppelin stuff...but it just doesn't do the John Mayer type tone I love. The TRRI nails John Mayer, SRV etc. and I can get <i>close</i> to the Tiny Terror's overdrive with the Robin Trower OD and the Woofer Wailer. Plus it just nails the clean tone I've had in my head. It gets decent overdrive with the pedal I have also.

I'm still debating keeping or selling the TT, I haven't decided yet. With just the TT I had the occasional rock tone I wanted...but not my main tone. Now I have my main tone, and the occasional average rock tone with pedals.

So...to answer your question;

Orange to Fender.

I still have both.;)

(sorry for the long post)

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:37 pm

i sold my RV50 and got an old 1964/65 Guild Thunderbass head, and WOW, tone heaven, simple and powerful, creamy and loud, but not to loud, full, full as it gets. i use this with a PPC412, best cab in the world, IMO.

i would never go back to a modern Orange. except a Daul Terror (when i have $$$ again) as a practice amp. i like to play loud and i found the RV50 harsh and piercing, i would thou, love to get my hands on another old OR series, thats what i sold to get the RV, big mistake, but im very happy with the Guild, beautiful tone. and these amps can be obtained (if you can find one) for around $300 bucks [:p]
they run on some old power amp Tube no longer made, but can easily be modded, mine still has the originals in it 8)

i also have an old first year Marshall JCM800 2204 with a late 70's 4x12 cab, original 30 watt greenbacks. i almost sold this for an old Matamp GT120, but i missed out. im very excited about the Tiny Dual Terror and will some day have one.

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

Post by zombie youth revolt » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:58 pm

so i had 3 orange amps

first - ad30r combo - awesome amp but i wanted to have more gain so i switched to rocker 30 head - and again awesome amp and tonally it was perfect for most things i play but i figured i don't need such big amp ( i only play in my bedroom ) so i switched to tiny terror head - and again, very cool amp and almost as good sounding as rocker 30 but less versitale and at that time i wanted to have fx loop to use delays so i decided to sell it and i bought marshall dsl 401 - cool all around amp - decent cleans and decent overdrive/distortion tones but i got bored with it and then i decided to sell it

right now i have this monster - this amp is able to cover 95 % of things that i play ( lets say rocker 30 was able to cover 75 % [:p] ) - i can go from dirty blues/rock to hard rock to death metal/hardcore without any pedals, just the amp

ofcourse is has its disadvantages - the dynamics and touch sensivity arent as good as in oranges i had + this amp won't give you this pure brittish crunch like oranges or old marshalls do - but on the other hand oranges wont give you many sounds that this amp offers

i'm really happy with my new amp but i love orange amps so propably i will buy one when i will have some spare the cash :)

ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:06 pm

I've always used other amps in addition to my Orange. I used the Orange a lot more when I was doing a lot of classic rock in a cover band I was in a few years ago, not so much these days.

I've been playing my Magic Z-II much more these days. It's a 1x12 combo, though rather large for a 1x12; but the cab is 5/8" ply and still relatively light. The cleans are big and kind of "American" sounding. Works great for me since for the most part, me "getting my sound" means having a really fantastic clean sound. The amp sounds like Led Zep I when you crank it up...but it's way too loud for anywhere I play these days, so I just when I need dirt, I'm very happy to stomp on my Okko Diablo.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Good responses so far, keep 'em coming! ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Hoxton Hero

Post by Hoxton Hero » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Had a tiny terror, needed some cleans on the fly for a new band, switched out for a Mesa DC-5 combo:

But I'm hoping to turn this into a head in the future and pick up a nice 2x12 to pair it with.

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Play whatever suits my needs at the time and/or place...
Love them all...

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Fender amps mostly.That and the Carter Dragonfly.I still have a Marshall and an Orange.
Reason for change..too dark and ,muddy for my uses.The Orange makes a great practice amp ,if I am playing by myself.With two rhythm players,my lead just gets lost in the mix.The amp sounds great at low to medium volumes,but crank it and it turns to solid mud even with the gain backed off.
Will I ever gig with it again:D maybe, but I will only use my Celestion gold speaker cab and my Telecaster.That just the way it is.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Nice thread this. :)

I had the RV100, but I didn't like dark muddy tone. I guess it would work great for rhythm guitarist stuff as the amp automatically places you in the back, laying a nice mat for the rest of the band.
But I needed something that cut through a little better, and 100 watts was just way too much more headroom than I need, I never play crystal cleans.

Now I play Matamp, Marshall and Fender.
The Fender DRRi might just be the greatest amp in the world, it's so versitile, and always answer you exactly like you want it to.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Lee_home
Rocker

Post by Lee_home » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 pm

In my case i amo so happy withe my amp... RV50.. my second head i think it will be an ENG richie blackmore or an Diezel (any one) they sound great

eeyore
Rocker

Post by eeyore » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:37 pm

I had a fender HRD but didn,t much like the sound,then a fender Blues Deluxe with a home made ext. cab which was better but still not quite there.I put that on ebay with a view to buying a Marshall 1987x head and a guy offered to swap the BDX for the AD30htc,I must say I hadn,t even considered these amps before but after a little research I said yes and I,ve not looked back since,I,m definatly a convert now,The future,s ORANGE:)
Nick Fender Telecaster (Bigsby),Les Paul Standard, Yamaha SA-700(Bigsby),Battered old Ibanez Acoustic. An ever revolving door of pedals,Orange AD30HTC into Marshall twin cab....The weak link in this signal chain is the one at the beginning..

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />
I had the RV100, but I didn't like dark muddy tone.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The why did you buy it in the first place? [:0]

Really - I am curious.......
Greg

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />
I had the RV100, but I didn't like dark muddy tone.

The why did you buy it in the first place? [:0]

Really - I am curious.......
<br />
I didn't realize its muddiness at the begining I guess. I think it's so wierd with amps. Sometimes you dislike the amp, but then a couple of months later you love it. My Marshall has had the wildest rollercoaster. The Rockerverb was just a free fall I'm afraid. :?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.