OT: voxac15...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:42 pm

sooo...my interests are changing. when i got my TT i was into dirty over drive and almost nothing else. but now im way more into indie/folk rock (cleaner and softer stuff).. and i just dont think the TT is going to cut it. the over drive is amazing but i cant get one good clean sound out of it and the lack of eq is really grinding my gears. and im poor so i cant buy another amp, id have to trade/sell. ive been watching youtube videos of fenders and such but im mostly interested in the ac15. its the only amp that is still low wattage, can give me the cleans im looking for, reverb, tremolo, eq, AND the dirt when i need it. am i correct on this?

so in your guys's opinions, would it be a good choice to try to trade my TT and avatar 1x12 for a an ac15?

thanks! sorry for the long post
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

timme_v
Orange Hero

Post by timme_v » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 pm

If you want vox, go this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=481037

That $50 more than an ac15.

I wish I lived in USA for that bargain.

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:34 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by timme_v</i>
<br />If you want vox, go this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=481037

That $50 more than an ac15.

I wish I lived in USA for that bargain.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

thats crazy!! a 2x12 all tube vox amp for $650. crazy talk!!
but i just dont think ill ever need it to be honest. i never crank the TT past 11 on 7watts. i just dont think ill be able to fully utilize the tubes on a 50watt amp.
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

hargravej
Tiny Terror

Post by hargravej » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 am

I think an ac15 would still be a bit loud for you from the sounds of it. esp. if you only se the 7 watt side of the tt. Have you tried using the 15 watt side? it should give you a bit more headroom. but other than that or getting a lower wattage amp like an epi valve jr. or a fender champion, the ac15 would prolly be right up the alley of the sound you are going for
my name is josh. American Tele, LTD EC-1000, AD30H, Orange PPC212, Crunchbox, TS9DX, TR-2, Boss DD-20, RC Booster

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hargravej</i>
<br />I think an ac15 would still be a bit loud for you from the sounds of it. esp. if you only se the 7 watt side of the tt. Have you tried using the 15 watt side? it should give you a bit more headroom. but other than that or getting a lower wattage amp like an epi valve jr. or a fender champion, the ac15 would prolly be right up the alley of the sound you are going for

the wattage isnt really the problem. when im recording (the only time im a tone snob) i can crank it to get the best sound if need be. its more the controls and options. ive always hated the "tone" knob on the TT. if tone were a knob why would anyone want to roll it back? all it does is take away from the tone. i never found it an alt. for an eq. it just made my tone dull. and i dont have reverb, trem, and the ac15 has all that PLUS the dirt i need. ive just never played one in person so if anyone can tell me if im on the right track...
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:26 am

Hey Tim, why don't you list both of your things on Craigslist and see what you can get for em. The styles that you're describing fits the AC15 wonderfully. But if you're really into bands such as death cab for cutie and the sorts...don't skimp on looking at the Fender Deluxe verb. You can get the verb, the trem, the cleans. And the dirt if you can push her loud enough for some dirt.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TJ_Lee</i>
<br />Hey Tim, why don't you list both of your things on Craigslist and see what you can get for em. The styles that you're describing fits the AC15 wonderfully. But if you're really into bands such as death cab for cutie and the sorts...don't skimp on looking at the Fender Deluxe verb. You can get the verb, the trem, the cleans. And the dirt if you can push her loud enough for some dirt.

im really into deathcab. and its funny that you say that about the deluxe verb because there was on just one on CL for $600. ill message the owner and see if its still up for sale.
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:57 am

Yeah man, deluxe verbs are intense. But Chris from DCFC uses a TT + Fulldrive 2 for clean and dirt and he gets lovely tone for the style that he plays. Amazing stuff how he can squeeze so much out of that amp.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 am

Get the AC15. Don't get the AC50. It's hideous.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:20 am

The AC15 definitely fits the bill. You should be able to pretty much straight up trade the TT for an AC15. The avatar you could keep as an extension cab if you wanted and perhaps disliked the Wharfdale in the AC15 or wanted a stereo sound. Failing that, sell the cab too and pick up a pedal or something.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:04 am

so im kinda in a pickel of whether to go for the ac15 or deluxe verb. the guy on CL still has his deluxe verb for sale. how good do those things take pedals, and could i squeeze some nice dirt out of it at reasonable volumes with/or without a pedal?
-tim
fender deluxe 'verb.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx</i>
<br />so im kinda in a pickel of whether to go for the ac15 or deluxe verb. the guy on CL still has his deluxe verb for sale. how good do those things take pedals, and could i squeeze some nice dirt out of it at reasonable volumes with/or without a pedal?
You can't go wrong with either amp, honestly. Do you want a more British or American sound? A Vox is shimmery and chimey and a Fender has a more round clean.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 am

The 7/15w switch only makes a little difference (not like double as you might anticipate) and going 15w lets it breath more and sound less 'compressed' in OD as well as easing the cleans some.

I have posted here that I have had some success with a Behringer Digital pedal and amp simms running into the TT, but I think I would tire of that quite quickly. Other options might include putting an aural exciter or enhancer in front for a more organic bright (rather than pure) clean.

Away from the TT, you really should give time to the Fender combos which set the standard for sweet musical clean, and can be dirtied up much easier and more effective than you can make a TT clean for example. AC15 is a classic circuit and musical in itself.

You need to be trying some of these amps with your guitar.

It's nice to hear of youngsters developing their tonal appreciation, congratulations.
Here we go; three, four...

timme_v
Orange Hero

Post by timme_v » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TJ_Lee</i>
<br />Hey Tim, why don't you list both of your things on Craigslist and see what you can get for em. The styles that you're describing fits the AC15 wonderfully. But if you're really into bands such as death cab for cutie and the sorts...don't skimp on looking at the Fender Deluxe verb. You can get the verb, the trem, the cleans. And the dirt if you can push her loud enough for some dirt.

im really into deathcab. and its funny that you say that about the deluxe verb because there was on just one on CL for $600. ill message the owner and see if its still up for sale.

Chris Walla had a TT teamed up with a Dr.Z when they played here. I'm actually seeing them again this saturday.

Wide variety of guitars as well.. Original Fender Starcaster and some Es-335's. Ben plays Bluesboys though. Piercing cleans coming out of his Dr.Z.. Was beautiful

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 am

I gotta say, I'm not keen on the gain on the Vox ACs. I'd imagine that after a TT, even if you don't use much gain it would still be a little disappointing.