Clean up my HB's, this RV100 is getting too mushy!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 am

hello again everyone...

i have been noticing that many people use tele's/single coil guitars with the RV series. Prob because HB's get really muddy with the RV amps (well in my experience anyway). I'm running a RV100 and a parker pm20pro, with a JB in the bridge. I usually keep the gain around 11oclock, but it still seems that the notes get pretty muddy when i start playing chords. I want to avoid swapping out my JB, since it sounds great with my TT, however i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to clean up this muddy fiesta.

oh yea, and say i whipped a P90 in the bridge, how would that compare to a single coil on these amps?

thanx,

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 am

Don't crank your gain too high and don't crank your bass. The more gain you use the less bass you should use. The more volume you use the less gain and bass you should use. I have EMG's and they have a very cutting tone, but I've also tried a ESP with a Seymour Duncan JB and 59 and it still cut through pretty well and was very very clean sounding. I also tried an Alexi Leiho signature with Seymour Duncan Blackouts but that one has a lot of noise (hum) and it wasn't really a clear sound.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

timme_v
Orange Hero

Post by timme_v » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:06 am

I run my 72 deluxe through my RV and its beautiful.. I did upgrade the pups to 500's though.

Maybe you should think about getting like 1000k pots? I dunno how it would sound though, just a suggestion.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Boy_Narf</i>
<br />

oh yea, and say i whipped a P90 in the bridge, how would that compare to a single coil on these amps?

thanx,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Erm, the P90 is single coil with all the benefits and disadvantages of single coil operation. The Fralin P90 gets good reviews (i've not used one).

Do you know what the pot values are in that guitar. Humbuckers tend to like a higher value like 500k to retain brightness whereas a single coil can do the same with a 250-300k pot.
Here we go; three, four...