Which speaker would you use (Tiny Terror)?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

aside

Post by aside » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Gonna pick up an Orange TT combo next week, but have never been a big fan of the G12H30 anniv. it comes with.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with any of the following (I have all of these lying around and am too lazy too try them all in this combo!).

- Celestion Alnico Gold
- Celestion G12M heritage
- Celestion Pre-rola G12M25
- Celestion G12K-85
- Celestion Vintage 30
- Scumback H55
- Scumback H75
- Scumback M75
- Scumback "Scumnico" Alnico

Using a Les Paul mostly, usually play pretty gainy, am into AC-DC, Slash, Gary Moore tones.

Luke
Orange Master

Post by Luke » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Give the G12H a chance. I think the TT sounds great with the G12H,I also really like it with a V30. The Scumback H55 which I love with the R30 sounds very compressed and not as harmonicly rich as the G12 or V30 with the TT. The H55 is also less efficient so you can forget about getting even a semi-clean tone at a usable volume. I tried all these speakers in a closed back PPC112.

I am currently using the G12H with the TT.

Good Luck

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:42 pm

I use one or two V30s. Sounds great.

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:47 pm

I think the speaker in the combo suits it really well.
I personally have been running mine into a 2x12 cab with
Vintage Neo's and love it!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:58 pm

When I had mine, the nicest sound I got out of it was through a Matamp cab loaded with 2 G12M Heritage - a speaker you don't hear much about, but it sounded great.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Like Luke said, give the stock speaker a chance. If you don't like the G12H30, you could try a G12M (Greenback) to tame the treble and the bass and thicken the mids a bit, or a V30 for an upper-mid spike. If what you're after is a softer attack and more compression at higher volumes, then a Celestion Blue or one of its knockoffs would be good.
Lo

ibaneziac
Tiny Terror

Post by ibaneziac » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:54 pm

celestion V30 sounds best for me.

atomsk27

Post by atomsk27 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:59 am

+1 for the V30
Fender AVRI '52 Tele
Gibson SG Special

Tiny Terror Club #162

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:54 am

_staring enviously at that pile of speakers_

Dunno, I'd try them all, but that's because I've never had the chance.

my 112 is a G12K-100. It doesn't sound very nice with the TT, has a real treble beam, and sounds lousy at low volumes. It's possible to find a sweet spot, but I'll bet almost everything you've got sounds better.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

aside

Post by aside » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 am

thanks guys, the heritage G12M is a great speaker, gives great slash / evh / classic rock sounds. might try that first.

my experience with the anniv. G12H has been with marshalls, so maybe I'll learn to love it in the TT.

cheers!

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:30 am

The gold might be great. If you try it, let us know, because I'm thinking about one if I can scrape up the readies.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:53 am

I've got a TT that I play through an Avatar 1x12 cube-shaped cab with a G12H30 (anniversary edition). I love it, but I've been looking around for another speaker to get some more chime, jangle, and sparkle. I've settled on a new Avatar 1x12 cab, this time loaded with a Celestion Alnico Blue.

I think the blue is a better choice than the gold because its 15-watt rating matches up exactly with the 15-watt Tiny Terror. I think one of the reasons the G12H30 sounds as good as it does with the TT is because of its relatively low 30-watt rating (at least relative to a lot of 60-watt speakers).

I'll probably be ordering my new Avatar cab next month, at which point I could tell you based on 1st-hand experience rather just on the on-line research I've done. But so far, *NO ONE* has said that pairing a TT with a Alnico Blue isn't a brilliant idea!

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I play my TT through a 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Blue. It sounds absolutely brilliant. Note that I play hard rock.
Lo

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm

And don't forget that you'll need to give all these speaker a fair change to break in. Depending on how often you play, that could take several months.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Armchair Bronco</i>
<br />And don't forget that you'll need to give all these speaker a fair change to break in. Depending on how often you play, that could take several months.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Armchair Bronco has a really good point: don't just swap in the speaker and expect to hear all it can offer in the first 5 minutes fresh from the box. If you play for hours each day, that won't take months, but it'll still take a little bit of drivin' to get your speakers to get all loosey-goosey.

Celestion says the following on breaking in speakers:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time."<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">