Worth it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jonnyfromfar

Post by jonnyfromfar » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:24 am

Hey all,

First off my name is Jonny im a blues guitarist. I live in Toronto Canada. I play in the style of T-Bone Walker and Freddie King.

I have the following guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty 1991
Fender Telecaster/ Modern bridge. Blond
Fender Stratocaster 1970 (all original, banana yellow)
Custom built Fender Stratocaster Ash Body

Martin D-28 1964 all original
Martin D-16 RGT (2 years old already, beautiful guitar)

Amps:
Fender Twin 57 re-issue (one of my all time favorite amps)
Fender Super Reverb Silverface 1971 All original
Fender Blues deluxe from the early 90's
Fender Vibro King (by far my favorite amplifier)

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head +
Ampeg 6 x 10 1200 watt cab

Anyway,
I was here to ask the following question,
Is the Orange AD30H head a worthwhile investment?
I was going to trade my Silverface Super Reverb for it.
is it worth it?
from what I've seen in pictures of it, it seems to be quite a simple head. What do you think?

Thanks,
Jonny

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:56 am

The AD30 doesn't have built-in reverb. But it looks like you have plenty of Fender amps, not to mention an Aladdin's cave o' gear. I say go for it. You need an Orange in the collection. The AD is a great amp.
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

linoleum
Orange Hero

Post by linoleum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 am

I Think The General Concensus From The Orange Board...Is No! It Is Not A Worthwhile Investmetn!LOL

Queequeg
Orange Hero

Post by Queequeg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:19 am

It's like walking into the Vatican and shouting "who here believes in God?"

GO FOR IT!!!
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Gibson SG Special Natural
Fender Jaguar HH Special Baritone
Yamaha AES 420 Baritone
Ibanez EDR 470
Ibanez Talman
Orange 2007 RV50H
Orange 1972 4 x 12"

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Queequeg</i>
<br />It's like walking into the Vatican and shouting "who here believes in God?"

GO FOR IT!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

haha so true!
i love the AD series! buy the looks of it you need a dirty amp!
got great crunch

it makes captain crunch blush

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:41 pm

If you love the Blues then the AD30 is a great amp, I'd get the head and the PPC212 cab and you would be in heaven.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:19 pm

it's all I need

CustomsLou
Orange Master

Post by CustomsLou » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Keep the Super Reverb and mod it to Blackface specs, it's easily done by a competent tech.

You can always buy an Orange.

If you really need to sell something I'd sell the Blues Deluxe before the Super Reverb.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:41 pm

If you're getting itchy fingers for new amps, then I don't know about trading, but an AD30 sounds like it would suit you.

It's a great mid-gain amp with quite a dark, but complex-sounding midrange and loose bottom end which has fantastic breaking up sounds.

Go play one if you can, I think you'd like it.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Fender Vibro King (by far my favorite amplifier)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I also steer towards a blusey tone but I really like a tube amp crunch. I actually sold my Vibro King to get a new AD30HTC and cabs because the Vibro King just didn't have the tones I wanted. If you prefer the VK you really should play the AD30 to see if it's a sound that you want. Very different amps but they would compliment each other nicely.

And welcome to the forum!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Queequeg</i>
<br />It's like walking into the Vatican and shouting "who here believes in God?"

GO FOR IT!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Haha, that's a great comparison. :)

I'd say go for it. Silverface Fenders aren't so rare that you'd never find another one, so it would be worth a checking out.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:57 pm

GO FOR IT!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">haha that actually might be a good question for the Vatican...;)Oh and the amp would be worth having....
Vince

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Johnny. How do you like Peter Green?

http://www.matamp.co.uk/series2000.htm
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Just do it...you have everything else.

Quick question though, just out of my own curiousity.
You have a 1964 D-28? I though they were only made up to '46 or '48 then discontinued then picked up again in 1976?

(BTW I am in no way questioning the validity of your Martin, just curious).
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

jonnyfromfar

Post by jonnyfromfar » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Oh wow thank you everyone for your responses !! And yes I do indeed have some serious equipment, but hey I work hard for what i love.
Sadly I haven't been born with a silver spoon in my mouth so I've worked for every piece of equipment I own.

@Stainboy:
Yes I agree, I think I will go for it. That was exactly my motivation. And since I've been browsing the forums here last night, I noticed some people run their ORANGE HEADS through Ampeg Cabs which is what I'll be doing up until I manage to find a nice 2 x 12 or 4 x 10 orange cab.

@Aslan
I've heard some good things about Orange amps. From what I understand they resemble the bright tones of the VOX amps, please correct me if I am mistaken but I am very excited to get my hands on my first orange amp. The thing that is getting me more and more excited is the lack of insane amount of effects and parameters on the AD30. I'm a clean tone kind of guy. I never run my guitars through any pedals because I think that the player can come up with significant tone on his own with out any additives :). But hey each to his own :P

@CustomsLou
I've actually heard about that, however, I played a Black Face Super Reverb and I wasn't all that impressed. I thought it went away from the classic cleanliness that this amp is famous for. Freddie King used one if I'm not mistaken. I remember seeing it on stage on his famous Sweden tour recordings.

@Irish_Admiral
Thank you for your information, Sounds like I'll really enjoy this amplifier :)

@Thineline_slim
Interesting that you weren't satisfied with the tones of the VK. I love it, but once again there is a great saying from where I come from that says
"On Taste and Smell there is no arguing" This also applies to artistic taste and I must agree ;D but thanks for recommending the AD30 I also believe the VK I own and my upcoming orange head will compliment each other.

@Neiloler:
I agree with your observation on Super Reverbs however, the 1971 ones are getting harder to find. Thanks for the response.

@Oprhin:
I dont know who Peter Green is, I have to apologize because he seems to be a figure that I should know considering I'm an amp collector. I have seen "GREEN" amplifiers floating around my local craigslist and on ebay but I've never tried one or seen one with my own eyes. <b> What have you say about them? and how are they different from Orange amps? </b>

@Tugartheman:
That is incorrect, the history of the D-28 goes as follows. 1931-present are the years that Martin have manufactured them, however, they changed the manner of manufacturing a number of times during the first few decades. 1936 was the last year for the 12-fret D-28 model, 1944 was the last year for scalloped bracing. 1947 was the last year they ofered the herringbone trim, Natural. Otherwise, I can almost stand 100% by my information that they infact did produce D-28's in 1964. I think another source to affirm this information is the fact that the Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide states that Martin D-28's manufactured between the years 1960-1965 are valued today between $5700 - $6500 USD.

Otherwise thank you all for your responses and I have gone through with the trade, hopefully the person will agree and I will have a AD30H sitting in my house soon :)