Orange Bass Tiny Terror.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ernieballman
Orange Hero

Post by Ernieballman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:57 am

I don't think the folks at Orange would find producing such an amp to be very cost effective, but what a cool little recording/bedroom amp it would be.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernieballman</i>
<br />I don't think the folks at Orange would find producing such an amp to be very cost effective, <b>but what a cool little recording/bedroom amp it would be.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Since when is a 500 watter a little recording / bedroom amp? [:p]
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=33248

aNDyH. :)
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:11 pm

i want one. i'm gonna start playing bass and the timing of this release is perfect. if my buddy doesn't sell me his ampeg stack like he said he would then i'm headed toward this
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Ernieballman
Orange Hero

Post by Ernieballman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:43 pm

This has to be my dumbest post. I should check the Orange site more often. I agree though 500watts is quite a bit of overkill for a bedroom amp. I was thinking more in the line of 50/25 watts.

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernieballman</i>
<br />... 500watts is quite a bit of overkill for a bedroom amp...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Nonsense! :twisted:
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:17 am

Meh, it's transistor, so you can turn it down without your tubes sounding crappy, so it should work in the bedroom as well.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Holy Crap! That's the first Class D bass amp with a tube preamp! Look at Orange breaking new ground in the bass world. That's freakin' awesome. I know quite a few players who would love an amp like that. When I first saw it I assumed it was just a 30-50w tube bass recording amp a la Ampeg B15. How wrong was I. I'm just going to bias my AD200 and forget that I know that the Bass Terror exists.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Ernieballman
Orange Hero

Post by Ernieballman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:42 am

Since I'm on a roll I mine as well ask what is class D ?

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Essentially Class D amplifiers switch between output transistors at speeds of over 100khz. It is a more complex circuit that is often times coupled with a switch mode power supply that performs a similar feat in the power supply section of the amplifier or a toroidal power transformer-based traditional power supply. These types of amplifiers have been used in the PA market for over 10 years (if you have an active sub or main, chances are it has a Class D amplifier). The main advantage is that their size and weight are greatly reduced because these circuits are far more efficient than traditional Class AB amplifiers. There are a number of bass amplifiers that use this technology as well. The only disadvantage is that because of the circuit's inherently more complex design it tends not to have the same sound quality as a traditional Class AB design (but this gap in quality has been steadily decreasing as the circuits have been refined over the years). BTW 500 watts is a necessity for a pro level solid state bass amp. I wonder what the MSRP is going to be?
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Class D amps are something we are going to see (and hear) a lot more of in the future because they are INCREDIBLY efficient. They don't waste much power as heat so they can be incredibly powerful but still remarkably small and light.

I take it someone has officially announced that the Bass Terror is a class D design? I asked that a while back but got no reply on that point. I'd imagine it must be though. Do we have a weight on the amp yet which will give a good idea about that?
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... ms=class+d

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57 pm

The horse's mouth speaketh:

http://orangeamps.com/features.asp?ID=55

And the lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the anchovies, and the carp, and the orangutan, and the breakfast cereals...
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method

Ernieballman
Orange Hero

Post by Ernieballman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:37 am

Thanks for the info I am really exicited about the bass terror and am looking forward to its release.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bassdrop</i>
<br />The horse's mouth speaketh:

http://orangeamps.com/features.asp?ID=55

And the lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the anchovies, and the carp, and the orangutan, and the breakfast cereals...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">And in 2009 Ade E. our lord did walk on water... ;)

Thanks for the info!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Blasphemy!

I'm interested in one though... anything to stop needing to haul my old Trace combo around. Nearly put my back out picking it up the other weekend.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Ernieballman
Orange Hero

Post by Ernieballman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:41 pm

The weight factor is one of the reasons I am really going to give this amp a hard look. I am also getting tired of hauling around a big rig.