Effects help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

domo1002000

Post by domo1002000 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi everyone

Just looking for some guitar effects advice.

My band plays quite dark indie music (radiohead/editors/sigur ros etc)

Just looking at improving/developing my guitar sound.

Currently using Boss-60 pedal board, running a Boss dd3, boss eq, boss tuner, and ibanez turbo tubescreamer.

Was looking at replacing the boss dd3 with the MXR carbon copy delay but just wondered whether I would still be able to power this using the boss pedal board?

Also looking to get a volume pedal (in order to be able to have greater control over volume swells in parts of songs) is there one particular volume pedal you would recommend or are they all much of a muchness?

Finally, are there any tremolo pedals (other than the Boss tremelo) that you would recommend?

Cheers

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:42 pm

For old school trem I liked the T-Rex Tremster. More modern takes that seem popular are the Cusack Tap-A Whirl and the Catlinbread Semaphore.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:48 pm

The Carbon Copy will indeed be powered by Boss pedal board.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Couple of things...

Not sure the Carbon Copy will be that much better than a DD3. Not sure it's worth trading. The Boss units are pretty solid & reliable, whereas a few CC owners have had problems here.

Trems... a good cheap trem is the Electro Harmonix Pulsar. No bells or whistles, just does the job and does it well.

For volume pedals, there are a few, but the industry standard is the Ernie Ball mono volume pedal. Nice big sweep gives you plenty of control. Some guys have said it sucks tone... don't know where they got that from, but mine and every other I have used has been fine for years.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />Couple of things...

Not sure the Carbon Copy will be that much better than a DD3. Not sure it's worth trading. The Boss units are pretty solid & reliable, whereas a few CC owners have had problems here.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

this makes no sense what so ever. it goes far beyond build quality, as both are built like tanks in solid metal casing.

the CC and DD3 are 1000% different pedal that sound 1000% different. like night and day. it depends on what your after, the CC is wetter more "analog" sounding, as the delay rolls it gets wetter, mushes up, very warm sweet sounding pedal, real sounding. by far different than the DD3, the DD3 is digital and MUCH tighter, and has more define of a fade out.

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Jon

You didn't read my sentence. I didn't say they weren't different, I just said I wasn't sure it was worth trading to a CC, especially given a few of the reliability issues.

I agree it depends what you are after...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

domo1002000

Post by domo1002000 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

Cheers for recommendations guys.

Will look into the pedals you mentioned.

Was actually just looking at some Boss volume pedals (could anyone actually explain the difference between the high impedance version and the low impedance version -

as I said basically want to use the volume pedal for guitar swells, so which version would be better suited high or low?

thanks

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:49 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br />For old school trem I liked the T-Rex Tremster. More modern takes that seem popular are the Cusack Tap-A Whirl and the Catlinbread Semaphore.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1 for the tremster
Got the t.c.electronics vintage trem, wich is a tremster in a diffrent box (and is about half the price). Iuse it a lot and I never felt the need for another tremolo.