What's going on with my PPC112?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm

I have two PPC112's bought new a few months back. I've always run them together stacked with my TT until recently when I also got a Rebel 20. For awhile I would just unplug the TT and plug the Rebel in when I wanted to switch amps and use both cabs.Anyways, now I have the cabs side by side with the TT in one and the Rebel in the other with an A/B box, and these amps sound extremely different to one another, like I never noticed before. The TT was actually sounding like an Orange Crush solid state amp in comparison. I always thought the TT sounded better. So I switched cabs on the amps and all of the sudden it was the other way around, the TT sounded better (more lower end). I know Both cabs have a 16 ohm V30 in them, anybody know what might be going on?? It doesn't sound like a blown speaker and I don't hear any vibrating noises.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:40 am

could be anything really, perhaps one speaker is broken in slightly more then the other, could be why one cab sounds better then the other one... other then that i would prob open the two cabs, and make sure everything was hooked up properly, make sure the wires are connected securely, make sure the speakers themselves are not damaged...

linoleum
Orange Hero

Post by linoleum » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 am

Also, Are You Using Different Guitar/Speaker Cables?

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Sorta like linoleum, my initial reaction was, "Are you sure your cables are good?"

I'm not saying you don't know this, but make sure you are using speaker cables in between your heads and your cabs, and not guitar cables/ leads.

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm

maybe the +/- are wired backwards in one of the cabs.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MaxProphet</i>
<br />maybe the +/- are wired backwards in one of the cabs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Most people would only think that mattered (reversed polarity) if using both cabs at once, but... [:0]

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=268581

I'm not commenting on the ideas in that thread, just pointing it out... :|

aNDyH. :)
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I vote for a bad connection somewhere. Either the input jack, speaker terminal, or a bad speaker.

I'd be careful though if you try to remove the back. I hear the screws are so tight the heads are easily stripped or the screws may even break if you try to remove them. Could even void your warranty I suppose... :mrgreen:
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sooner</i>
<br />I vote for a bad connection somewhere. Either the input jack, speaker terminal, or a bad speaker.

I'd be careful though if you try to remove the back. I hear the screws are so tight the heads are easily stripped or the screws may even break if you try to remove them. Could even void your warranty I suppose... :mrgreen:
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, a broken input jack or bad solder joint on the speaker that sounds rough. Or maybe a loose connection at the speaker terminal. Either way, you need to open the cab to assess it. Then of course, you could just have hearing damage in one ear... :?
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Checked the wiring in the cab, they are both wired up the same, matter of fact the one that sounds the best had the connector only halfway on the speaker (Anyone with a ppc12, look your cab over, these things got through QC in a breeze it seems). Switched the speaker cables, made no difference. I didn't remove the speakers to look at the cone but from the back everything looks OK. Really don't know what to think, perhaps Boy_Narfs thought of one being more broke in than the other is what's going on. I wouldn't of thought so as I bought them new only a couple weeks apart, but I guess one could of had several hours of test playing on it in the store. I don't know how to post sound clips, but I placed a mic between the two cabs equal distance from each and recorded a 15 sec. clip with one cab and then the other and there is a noticeable difference in tone on playback. Maybe I'll just use the one thats bothering me for awhile, see if it gets better with more playing. Thanks for the suggestions.