Getting back to basics....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

_Craig_
Orange Hero

Post by _Craig_ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:03 pm

So me and the bass player from my band have started up a little Garage/Punk side project recently...think Billy Childish, Headcoats, The Mummies, Oblivians etc.
Most of my guitar playing time in the past has been spent on perfecting technique, knowledge etc...and going back to this thrashy, chord bashing stuff is the most fun ive had playing guitar in a long time. Has made me realise that it's so easy to get caught up in the perfection of guitar playing etc...sometimes to a point where you kind of lose the fun and slightly rebellious image that the guitar has. Thats just my opinion of course.....

Anybody else have any similar experiences/thoughts?

Craig
'94 Standard Telecaster. Rickenbacker 4003. Orange AD30R. Ashdown 550 Touring.

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:41 pm

i know what your saying. im trying to do alot more solos and playing more respected music. the other day i flipped on hellogoodbye (if you dont know what that is its electronic/pop that 14 year old girls listen to) but playing along with the simple power chords, it couldnt have been more fun.
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:57 pm

I think it happens to every guitar player once in a while. We all worry so much about technique that we forget why we started playing in the first place, the joy of playing. It is too easy to fall into the rut of telling ourselves that we need to practice practice practice and we forget how much fun it can be to just play.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 pm

In my current band, I get lucky and am able to find a really nice balance between the two ways of playing.

On one hand, I play a lot of chords (barre, open, power, inversions, etc.), but I also have 3 or so solos (on the record we just made that is in mixing and then off to mastering mode) that necessitated me sitting down and honing my craft to get right. On one song, I play almost nothing during the verses, I play a pretty heavy, simple riff on the choruses, and then the bridges are allllll power chords, and those bridges are so damn fun.

I'm currently in the "Listen to Pink Floyd and soak up Gilmour as much as I can" mode, but every so often, I'll pull out my old pop-punk standards and rip through some fun and simple stuff.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by _Craig_</i>
<br />So me and the bass player from my band have started up a little Garage/Punk side project recently...think Billy Childish, Headcoats, The Mummies, Oblivians etc.
Most of my guitar playing time in the past has been spent on perfecting technique, knowledge etc...and going back to this thrashy, chord bashing stuff is the most fun ive had playing guitar in a long time. Has made me realise that it's so easy to get caught up in the perfection of guitar playing etc...sometimes to a point where you kind of lose the fun and slightly rebellious image that the guitar has. Thats just my opinion of course.....

Anybody else have any similar experiences/thoughts?

Craig

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1
Couldn´t agree more, I really like this thread