Serious

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />I'd say get a Strummer - and get it used! There are plenty around and used is a win win. If you dislike it - sell it off and start at ground zero. If you love it but not the finish - that's easy- strip it and refinish - or leave it raw. Any way you go you have a great Tele there.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This is a really great point. I have seen this guitar for sale used a number of times in different stores and on Craigslist.

I think that this is kind of the fault with signature guitars... people buy them because it has their favorite player's name and style attached to it, only to find it really does not suit their personal playing style at all. It just seems to me more signature guitars end up on the used market than others.

That said, I will always highly recommend the 52 Hot Rod because it is a great guitar, but if you picked up the Strummer and the neck just felt "right", I can't tell you to pass that up. Any time a guitar has that feel, it's foolish to let it go!
- Nathan

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:55 pm

I like ash for a tele, but I played an American standard with a rosewood neck that was outstanding.It is hard to go wrong with a Telecaster.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:49 pm

i might also recommend the squier cv tele, but i don't want too many members joining me in the elite league of chinese squier owners.

twisted99
Orange Expert

Post by twisted99 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 pm

If you can find a G&L ASAT. That would be the way to go. I found my 87 in a music shop for 300 bucks and it is by far the best playing and sounding Tele I have heard and I love all teles. Otherwise build your own. I just built my friend a mighty mite tele with GFS pick ups cost came in around 400 and it sounds and plays amazing.
Steve
1983 Gibson Firebrand "The SG Deluxe"
1987 G&L ASAT
Schecter Damien with GFS mean 90s
Rivera Knucklehead 100
Avatar contemporary custom blue 2x12 with eminence governers
Lots of Pedals
Orange Micro Crush

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone!

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Brian,nguideau,and Frank have a point...I just HATE the Joe Strummer's finish. I don't really like it much. If I stripped it...would that change the tone?

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, some might say it would, but honestly, I don't think much about those ideas. You could even argue that those that dislike the heavy paints on guitars would be happy because you'd be stripping off that stuff and "liberating" the wood to resonate better, etc.

The strummer body is hit or miss. BillyC's body looks really cool when he plays it, I think I'd look like a hack playing the same guitar. It's got to feel you and you've got to feel it. May the force be with you, etc. ;)

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />Well, some might say it would, but honestly, I don't think much about those ideas. You could even argue that those that dislike the heavy paints on guitars would be happy because you'd be stripping off that stuff and "liberating" the wood to resonate better, etc.

The strummer body is hit or miss. BillyC's body looks really cool when he plays it, I think I'd look like a hack playing the same guitar. It's got to feel you and you've got to feel it. May the force be with you, etc. ;)

Haha, thanks Neil;)

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Is the Strummer solid wood, or veneered? I had a Squier I stripped and it had a top (not pretty maple either) and a back sandwiching basswood or pine (who knows?). Anyway, point is if you stripped it probably won't make sound any worse, but it could be ugly. Not that cool Bonnie Raitt strat stripped, more that funky wood showing kind of thing goin' on.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br />Is the Strummer solid wood, or veneered? I had a Squier I stripped and it had a top (not pretty maple either) and a back sandwiching basswood or pine (who knows?). Anyway, point is if you stripped it probably won't make sound any worse, but it could be ugly. Not that cool Bonnie Raitt strat stripped, more that funky wood showing kind of thing goin' on.

haha, I'll take my chances :D

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 am

If you want classic Tele sound, go for maple neck and an alder or basswood body - don't overlook basswood... very good wood. Ash is brighter and is greater for a hotter and more raw sound, but I think alder / basswood would be better for you.

Pickups is your other biggie... try and get a bridge pickup would as close to broadcaster specs as you can. The neck pickup is a maybe... original Tele neck pickups were used to play bass lines with. I prefer a clearer sounding neck... so maybe play a few different ones there. I ended up getting a MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele which had a Strat neck pickup in. I got a pair of pickups custom wound: one to slightly hot Broadcaster, the neck to a '62 Strat sound, and it's top drawer for me.

As to which particular model, just play a bunch and see what you like. Note the specs above though...

I like the MIJ Teles... you get a lot of guitar for your money. Get them used off the bay, and you won't lose anything if you sell them on.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />If you want classic Tele sound, go for maple neck and an alder or basswood body - don't overlook basswood... very good wood. Ash is brighter and is greater for a hotter and more raw sound, but I think alder / basswood would be better for you.

Pickups is your other biggie... try and get a bridge pickup would as close to broadcaster specs as you can. The neck pickup is a maybe... original Tele neck pickups were used to play bass lines with. I prefer a clearer sounding neck... so maybe play a few different ones there. I ended up getting a MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele which had a Strat neck pickup in. I got a pair of pickups custom wound: one to slightly hot Broadcaster, the neck to a '62 Strat sound, and it's top drawer for me.

As to which particular model, just play a bunch and see what you like. Note the specs above though...

I like the MIJ Teles... you get a lot of guitar for your money. Get them used off the bay, and you won't lose anything if you sell them on.

Thanks Joe;)

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:23 am

Hey Joey,what is that colourfull pedal to the left of your TT there :?:
Hugh

nate33
Rocker

Post by nate33 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:37 am

with the way the used market is right now you could save up a few more dollars and get a used nocaster. that's about as "tele" as a tele gets.

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br />Hey Joey,what is that colourfull pedal to the left of your TT there :?:

Hi, Hugh!

The colored one is the Dr. Scientist Woofer Wailer. It's an OD/Distortion pedal. It was a Christmas present from my friend Josh/Joshlespaul1952. The black one next to the Woofer Wailer is the Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive.