AD5 for a cleaner sound ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

plus2guitare

Post by plus2guitare » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Hello
Do you really beleve that the AD5 can be use in Jazz music ?
I would like to know your review
Also, where can I find some others samples of AD5 (clean, crunch and dirty ?)
Thanks
Regards

chrisdher

Post by chrisdher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 pm

I just wanted to chime in here....that got me thinking. I too bought the AD5 used and at a good price. I would have loved to get the TT but money was the issue. I'm thinking though, that I can buy the TT head down the road and plug it in to the AD5 cab. Then, when money allows, get a better and bigger cab.
I'm still playing around with the AD5 and like it a lot. very clean. when I add the MXR distortion + it doesn't sound all that great with single coils. I need to try it out on humbuckers.. Changing the tubes really helped too (I had one bad one from the get go and only got a replacement yesterday).
Information is
not knowledge
Knowledge is
not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...

Jacco428
Orange Master

Post by Jacco428 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:30 pm

try an AD-5 through a bigger cabinet, you'll be surprised !
I use mine together with a PPC 112 and like it a lot.

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by plus2guitare</i>
<br />Hello
Do you really beleve that the AD5 can be use in Jazz music ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sure, why not? It is a sweet and clean sounding amp and it would make a nice studio amp for Jazz or even a stage amp when mic'd. The only thing holding back anyone from using such a sound for jazz is their talent. Jazz ain't easy.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:18 pm

I have to admit, I was very disapointed by the AD5.
I sold it within a couple weeks of trying to love it.
Never happened, sold it and bought a Tiny Terror combo
instead...Way better IMHO

chrisdher

Post by chrisdher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm

the ppc 112 sounds like a cool way to go, then upgrade to TT. and YES absolutely, the AD5 will play jazz. it's clean sounding if you want it. turn it up almost half way and it starts to break up. one thing though. when you get it, change the stock tubes.
Information is
not knowledge
Knowledge is
not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:39 pm

why not a fender pro junior? $300, sounds great through an extension cab.

i've never heard a 110 combo that didn't sound like a toy- through its own speaker, that is.
Steve

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">why not a fender pro junior? $300, sounds great through an extension cab.

And..........through two Matamp 2x12's it sounds amazing!! :D
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stevo2112</i>
<br />why not a fender pro junior? $300, sounds great through an extension cab.

<b>i've never heard a 110 combo that didn't sound like a toy</b>- through its own speaker, that is.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The Pro Junior is a great wee amp right enough. But there are definitely speakers that can make a 1x10 sound anything but toy like. Had an old Celestion 'Vintage 10' in my PJ for a short while which made it sound anything but toy like. In fact it sounded <u>far</u> too fat and bassy for me so the speaker went to a friend who put it in his Super Champ with great results!!! Possibly the newer version the 'G10 Vintage' would be a better bet - I'm still looking for the ideal speaker for my PJ...

My Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb is a 1x10 combo too. <u>Definitely nothing</u> at all toy like about its sounds! Very surprising in fact the big full (clean or dirty) sounds you can get from these wee amps. I do have a 1x12 extension cab for it, but rarely use it...

aNDyH. :)
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:07 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by a.hun</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stevo2112</i>
<br />why not a fender pro junior? $300, sounds great through an extension cab.

<b>i've never heard a 110 combo that didn't sound like a toy</b>- through its own speaker, that is.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The Pro Junior is a great wee amp right enough. But there are definitely speakers that can make a 1x10 sound anything but toy like. Had an old Celestion 'Vintage 10' in my PJ for a short while which made it sound anything but toy like. In fact it sounded <u>far</u> too fat and bassy for me so the speaker went to a friend who put it in his Super Champ with great results!!! Possibly the newer version the 'G10 Vintage' would be a better bet - I'm still looking for the ideal speaker for my PJ...

My Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb is a 1x10 combo too. <u>Definitely nothing</u> at all toy like about its sounds! Very surprising in fact the big full (clean or dirty) sounds you can get from these wee amps. I do have a 1x12 extension cab for it, but rarely use it...

aNDyH. :)

well that's good to hear- i've been wanting one of them for a while now, the speaker was the only thing holding me back.
Steve

Ouroboros777

Post by Ouroboros777 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 am

I love my AD5. My next amp is a Dual Terror with an orange 2x12.... I dont think it sound like a "practice amp" at all. What I love about it is it reacts sooooo well with my vast array of pedals.....I have decided on Orange amps are my best amp....its Love.

neilmac

Post by neilmac » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:54 am

hi Great to read all the opinions and experiences
I am just about to buy either the AD5 or the TT
I jam with my son,( drums) use line 6 podx3 live so was
concerned how either went with pedals
I was pretty well decided on the TT until i discovered the almost
hidden speaker connection on th AD-5!
Now i can buy the AD5 and know if i need more balls i can add a
112 cab! thanks guys for all your info- 5watt class A's rock!!
neilmac

2008 Rocker 30

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:02 pm

I like my AD5, but I don't think it sounds very good on its own. Coupled with an sm57 it sounds a lot better. And for what I use it for (church and practise) it's fine. If I need better tone I will use my AD30!
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo