1000 reasons why the tele is the best guitar ever

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 am

IMHO, Teles are the equivalent of a Swiss Army Knife- they can do it all, and they're built for utility! Strats and Les Pauls can be finicky- but you can drop a Tele 6 feet off a hanger and it won't go out of tune. At least that's what happened to me with mine once when my brother the drummer knocked my Tele off a side amp hanger I had and it bounced off the floor and fell on its face. Picked it up- still in tune!

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:40 am

to me the tele just feels.... reliable.... like it won't let you down if you get stuck in a jam...

haha
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 am

<b><font size="5">100,000 Reasons why my Fantom is the best......</font id="size5"></b>:D[:p]
<b><font size="5">.....because it makes that many brilliant sounds!</font id="size5"></b>;)8)[:p]
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:39 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ESBlonde</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />Since when was the Tele not a mainstream instrument? There's a ton of tele players out there, and it has a reputation as good as the Strats.

The Tele is not the best guitar out there... not for me anyways. That award is present to my Gibson ES-335.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Agreed, according to Fenders statistics, the telecaster cummulatively outsold the strat way into the mid 80's then when the indie scene blew up in the 90's, the tele became fashionable again although I don't have those stats in my head.

The Strat is a truely versatile instrument that responds well to a player with good technique. The Les Paul is a great guitar that sounds good in the hands of novice and expert alike. The telecaster is les versatile than the Strat, but again comes into it's own in the hands of accomplished players.

I've contemplated getting a nice tele for years, I guess I should get off the fence a do it. Many old pros think a good tele and a good 335 will give you access to all the tone you could need as a professional player. Well I've started, I've got a 335 so I just need a tele and learn to play :D

I got both! :D

I do love my Tele... it's a fanstic instrument. But sometimes it just does not get along with me, and then I wrap my mitts around my 335 and nothing else matters anymore.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:46 am

Serious question:

For those who say the tele is the most versatile, what makes it more versatile than a strat?
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoctorJay</i>
<br />Serious question:

For those who say the tele is the most versatile, what makes it more versatile than a strat?

The meanest strat looks like a gentleman if you play the bridge pickup, then you switch to the neck and turn the tone nob down a little and you got more mellow soul than you ever heard of any strat. Plus you got all the sounds in between.
A strat has this one beautiful sound in three diffrent shades, beautiful, but not versatile

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:03 pm

I think Strats and Teles are both very versatile instrument.I have a friend that plays jazz with his strat.Mike Stern plays jazz with his tele.They both will also do country or rock.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoctorJay</i>
<br />Serious question:

the player.

The ES335 for me is the most versatile guitar I've played/owned. a Strat is the most useless for me.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Reason 1000: at one point or another, every Strat player is going to sound like Stevie Ray.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />Reason 1000: at one point or another, every Strat player is going to sound like Stevie Ray.

+1 LOL, thats a good one

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bensen</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoctorJay</i>
<br />Serious question:

The meanest strat looks like a gentleman if you play the bridge pickup, then you switch to the neck and turn the tone nob down a little and you got more mellow soul than you ever heard of any strat. Plus you got all the sounds in between.
A strat has this one beautiful sound in three diffrent shades, beautiful, but not versatile

Interesting observation. Not sure what to think. Maybe I'll have a better handle on this after my Tele arrives. Then I can compare directly. I think a strat <i>appears</i> more versatile due to the 3 pickups and, I guess, the whammy too. Interesting.........
Greg

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bensen</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />Reason 1000: at one point or another, every Strat player is going to sound like Stevie Ray.

+1 LOL, thats a good one

If <i>ONLY</i> that were true! :D

I wouldn't mind if someone made that accusation about <i>me</i> playing a strat! ;)
Greg

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:38 am

<br />Serious question:

Plus theres no pickup in any other guitar that is as dynamic as the telebridge, no compression at all.

so:
tele + decend tube amp = more dynamic than anything else

Thats why you can get such a variety of sounds even out of an esquire.

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:33 am

Tele bridge pickups intimidate and intrigue me. I don't really get on with bridge pups in general but I'm trying to learn to. They are really sensitive to what you're doing with the right hand, tele's most of all.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:09 am

<br />Tele bridge pickups intimidate and intrigue me. I don't really get on with bridge pups in general but I'm trying to learn to. They are really sensitive to what you're doing with the right hand, tele's most of all.

Right, you really should explore them. Try to play only on the bridgepup of your guitar for a week or at least a day, and youll explore so much tone (especially if its a tele:D).
Play it soft into a crunch amp and it cleans up real nice and soulfull, and then hit the strings hard and youre in ac/dc territory. no channel switching needed