Mercury Magnetics Holy Terror Mod Completed

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

K5D

Post by K5D » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Long time reader of this forum, first time poster.

On Friday I received my Tiny Terror back from amp guru Jeff Snider, who performed the Mercury Magnetics Holy Terror transformer upgrade for me. Results: DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT!

Initial Impressions using a ’95 Les Paul Standard into my Avatar/Celestion Custom Stack:
• MUCH higher gain
• Louder and quieter - less humm
• Fuller tone at lower volumes
• Better low end response ~ CH-CHUNK
• Flatter frequency response
• Tone control is more effective
• Gain shifted more into the midrange
• More tonal versatility - power tube distortion
• Improved touch sensitivity to pick attack
• Improved responsiveness to guitar volume

I never disliked the way my Tiny Terror sounded. It’s a kick-ass little amp. Although it is kinda a one trick pony - high gain British CRUNCH! I always thought it sounded slightly restrained or veiled compared to the openness and responsiveness of my other guitar amps.

Some have asked: Why would you spend nearly as much to upgrade a Tiny Terror to a Holly Terror as you did on the amp itself? If you already like the sound of the Tiny Terror, why upgrade it all?

Answer: First, I liked the sound of the Tiny Terror, but I didn’t LOVE it. It was very, very close to what I was looking for to round out my collection of amps that I use in my small recording studio (Emery Sound Micobaby, Fender ’57 Deluxe hand-wired) neither of which do the British CRUNCH thing. But it fell just shy even with NOS tube upgrades and the right speaker cabinets. I gambled that is was so close to what I wanted, that a Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade might just do the trick and I’d be more satisfied. Second, What other low wattage amps out there deliver Orange tone? While I’d love nothing more than to acquire more amps, I’d end up losing half of them in the divorce along with half of my guitars and everything else.

My studio is only 11’ x 7.5’. Anything over 15 watts is too ‘effin loud! I can’t play or record with my Dual Rectifier or my ’66 Bassman in my studio without robbing them of tone with an attenuator. Third, as a gear junkie always seeking better tone, I was also hoping for more musicality at lower volumes. This was achieved with the Mercury transformer upgrades.

The original Tiny Terror sounded best to me two ways (note: dial positions relative to a clock face):
1. Gain cranked to around 3 o’clock and volume between 10 and 2.
2. Volume cranked to between 3 and 4, gain between 11 and 12 o’clock.

After the upgrade, with high gain NOS RFT 12AX7’s and a matched pair of NOS GE EL84/6BQ5’s in place, I start getting good Orange crunchy tone with the gain around 10 o’clock and volume anywhere between 9 and 12. Cranking the gain higher yields an insane, all out squashed fuzz tone. Due to the extremely high gain and proximity to the transformer, the amp now <i>requires</i> the use of the pre-amp tube shields to prevent it from howling like a wounded dog.

In general, the overdrive distortion has more of a singing quality. Whereas previously it was as if the distortion was more prominent in the lower mid to bass frequencies, the gain has better balance throughout the frequency range of the amp. The overall frequency response seems less scooped with the tone control straight up. Fooling around with just the three knobs on the amp, I was able to coax many different high gain sounds from classic Orange crush and compressed fuzz to ch-chunky metal and rock reminiscent of my Dual Rectifier half stack.

Backing off the gain to 3 or slightly lower and cranking up the volume to 3 or 4 o’clock drove the amp into a more musical power tube distortion than the original. The tone here was LOUD and surprisingly similar to my 1966 Fender Bassman with its matching 2x12 piggyback cabinet. Touch sensitivity is at its best on this setting. Backing off the guitar’s volume control cleaned up the tone with a soft strum or soft single note playing while a more aggressive pick attack injects just the right amount of dirt.

I think the sweet spot for this amp is in Pentode mode, pushing 7 or 15 watts with all three knobs pointing straight up. There is far less difference in tone now when switching to 7 watts. It’s just quieter. However, switching to triode mode resulted is a dark, muted sound that would have a hard time cutting through a mix, but could be useful for adding depth to a rhythm track.
Tiny Terror/Holy Terror w/Avatar 1x12 semi-open back w/Celestion Blue & Avatar 1x12 closed back w/Greenback~Emery Sound Microbaby w/Emery Blue Pup Cab~Fender '57 Deluxe Handwired RI w/Weber Alnico~Fender '66 Bassman & 2x12 Piggyback Cab~Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo 100 Half Stack~Zvex Nano Head & J Design/Weber 8" Custom Cab

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Congrats! Glad you dig your 'new' amp. ;)

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, by the way...from one newbie to another. 8)

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 am

Did Jeff Snider supply your first post? nice try.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:11 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br />Did Jeff Snider supply your first post? nice try.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Somebody wrote it- because from the broken font icons, it was copied straight out of a Word document.

But welcome to the forum! Glad you like the "improved" Tiny Terror!

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 am

sort of seems like a sales pitch? spam.

with my minimal talent with a soldering iron i bet i could install a MM tranny in a Tiny Terror on my own, this is something iv been wanting to do to my Epi VJ.

welcome to the forum

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

K5D

Post by K5D » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:30 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br />Did Jeff Snider supply your first post? nice try.

Somebody wrote it- because from the broken font icons, it was copied straight out of a Word document.

But welcome to the forum! Glad you like the "improved" Tiny Terror!

I wrote it in my personal blog then copy/pasted it here. Sorry for the broken font tags. The post looks fine on my machine.

BTW.. I plugged in a '65 Strat CS Relic for the first time earlier this evening and wow... did it ever sound nice with the gain dialed down - bright and chimey with the volume baked of to about 7 on the guitar. I'm accustomed to the sonic differences between a strat and a Les Paul, but this surprised me. It reminded me of John Frusciante tone.

K5
Tiny Terror/Holy Terror w/Avatar 1x12 semi-open back w/Celestion Blue & Avatar 1x12 closed back w/Greenback~Emery Sound Microbaby w/Emery Blue Pup Cab~Fender '57 Deluxe Handwired RI w/Weber Alnico~Fender '66 Bassman & 2x12 Piggyback Cab~Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo 100 Half Stack~Zvex Nano Head & J Design/Weber 8" Custom Cab

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K5D</i>
<br />
Long time reader of this forum, first time poster.

On Friday I received my Tiny Terror back from amp guru Jeff Snider, who performed the Mercury Magnetics Holy Terror transformer upgrade for me. Results: DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT!

Initial Impressions using a ’95 Les Paul Standard into my Avatar/Celestion Custom Stack:
• MUCH higher gain
• Louder and quieter - less humm
• Fuller tone at lower volumes
• Better low end response ~ CH-CHUNK
• Flatter frequency response
• Tone control is more effective
• Gain shifted more into the midrange
• More tonal versatility - power tube distortion
• Improved touch sensitivity to pick attack
• Improved responsiveness to guitar volume

I never disliked the way my Tiny Terror sounded. It’s a kick-ass little amp. Although it is kinda a one trick pony - high gain British CRUNCH! I always thought it sounded slightly restrained or veiled compared to the openness and responsiveness of my other guitar amps.

Some have asked: Why would you spend nearly as much to upgrade a Tiny Terror to a Holly Terror as you did on the amp itself? If you already like the sound of the Tiny Terror, why upgrade it all?

Answer: First, I liked the sound of the Tiny Terror, but I didn’t LOVE it. It was very, very close to what I was looking for to round out my collection of amps that I use in my small recording studio (Emery Sound Micobaby, Fender ’57 Deluxe hand-wired) neither of which do the British CRUNCH thing. But it fell just shy even with NOS tube upgrades and the right speaker cabinets. I gambled that is was so close to what I wanted, that a Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade might just do the trick and I’d be more satisfied. Second, What other low wattage amps out there deliver Orange tone? While I’d love nothing more than to acquire more amps, I’d end up losing half of them in the divorce along with half of my guitars and everything else.

My studio is only 11’ x 7.5’. Anything over 15 watts is too ‘effin loud! I can’t play or record with my Dual Rectifier or my ’66 Bassman in my studio without robbing them of tone with an attenuator. Third, as a gear junkie always seeking better tone, I was also hoping for more musicality at lower volumes. This was achieved with the Mercury transformer upgrades.

The original Tiny Terror sounded best to me two ways (note: dial positions relative to a clock face):
1. Gain cranked to around 3 o’clock and volume between 10 and 2.
2. Volume cranked to between 3 and 4, gain between 11 and 12 o’clock.

After the upgrade, with high gain NOS RFT 12AX7’s and a matched pair of NOS GE EL84/6BQ5’s in place, I start getting good Orange crunchy tone with the gain around 10 o’clock and volume anywhere between 9 and 12. Cranking the gain higher yields an insane, all out squashed fuzz tone. Due to the extremely high gain and proximity to the transformer, the amp now <i>requires</i> the use of the pre-amp tube shields to prevent it from howling like a wounded dog.

In general, the overdrive distortion has more of a singing quality. Whereas previously it was as if the distortion was more prominent in the lower mid to bass frequencies, the gain has better balance throughout the frequency range of the amp. The overall frequency response seems less scooped with the tone control straight up. Fooling around with just the three knobs on the amp, I was able to coax many different high gain sounds from classic Orange crush and compressed fuzz to ch-chunky metal and rock reminiscent of my Dual Rectifier half stack.

Backing off the gain to 3 or slightly lower and cranking up the volume to 3 or 4 o’clock drove the amp into a more musical power tube distortion than the original. The tone here was LOUD and surprisingly similar to my 1966 Fender Bassman with its matching 2x12 piggyback cabinet. Touch sensitivity is at its best on this setting. Backing off the guitar’s volume control cleaned up the tone with a soft strum or soft single note playing while a more aggressive pick attack injects just the right amount of dirt.

I think the sweet spot for this amp is in Pentode mode, pushing 7 or 15 watts with all three knobs pointing straight up. There is far less difference in tone now when switching to 7 watts. It’s just quieter. However, switching to triode mode resulted is a dark, muted sound that would have a hard time cutting through a mix, but could be useful for adding depth to a rhythm track.

clips or its all lies.

linoleum
Orange Hero

Post by linoleum » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:37 am

Screen Shot! lol

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Post by merlhagstrom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 am

I dont know the dude, but it sounds like it all makes sense but it sounds to me from reading the post your TT now is overly gainy. Why did you choose those preamp tubes?
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K5D

Post by K5D » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:52 am

I put those preamp tubes in about a year ago because I thought the overdrive was a bit too grainy with the stock tubes. The RFT's break up earlier and are creamier sounding. I'm gonna look through my NOS tube stash tonight and see if I have a couple of 12AU7's anywhere.

deadduck
Rocker

Post by deadduck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 am

Try a 5751 in V1.
Keith

K5D

Post by K5D » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:42 am

On hand I only have a Ratheon 5814A, an RCA 12AY7 and a Philips JAN 12AT7WC.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:14 am

Cool stuff, but I think I rather save my Merc Mags for bigger amps. How much did you drop on the upgrade?

K5D

Post by K5D » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:29 am

Somehow I convinced the wife to buy me the MM kit for x-mas. It was $289 for the kit and a couple of bills for Jeff. I can't solder worth a damn and know I would have 'effed it up if I tried it myself. Jeff is the man for amps in San Diego, so I know he'd do it right. I have an earlier Korean TT and turns out there were some differences from the kit instructions that Jeff said might have thrown a non-amp-tech for a loop.
Hey, I see you have a Weber in your 5E3. Which is it? I settled on a Weber 12A125 in my '57 Deluxe RI after trying both the Greenback and the Blue that are in my Avatar 1x12 cabs. Ted makes good sounding speakers.