another one of my tone rants/Rockerverb discussion

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

somedude
Orange Hero

Post by somedude » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Les Paul -> Electric Amp 120w MV* -> Electric 4x12 + Orange 4x12

* or a 2-ch Dual Rectifier.. depending on how I feel.

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somedude</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>

Opinion police? Not sure anyone wants to see me in a uniform. If you mean will I continue to speak my mind? Yeah. Is there some reason I can't have my opinions and express them too? Do I have to be on board with everyone in the forum? Do I have to agree with everyone's opinions? Do I have to give equal weight to all parties beliefs? NO, I don't - and I won't.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Anyway.... to back this up a bit as I didn't intend on this being a lets beat on Norrin Radd thing and I think that aside from one small detail we largely agree on the subject (and it wasn't even your post that I objected to in the first place);

It's up to the guy who's seeking an opinion to decide for himself who's worth listening to and who isn't. I don't think the forum should be policing who's allowed to comment and who isn't. If one guy says the clean channel sucks, 3 guys say it's alright but nothing special, and another 3 guys say it's great.... the dude will draw his own conclusions. Yeah, the guys who've owned it and gigged it should be taken more seriously, but it doesn't negate the opinion of the guy who's only tried it and didn't like it as I don't feel that someone should be required to own and gig an amp they don't like just so they can be qualified to comment on it on this forum.

IMO.

I can agree with <b>all</b> of that. NOW, let's go get a good BEER! I'm dying to try this one (and I found a store near me that carries it!):

OH YEAH: This beer is made by a forum member! :)

Fatty Boomblatty?

Best name for a drink I've ever heard.

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guitarmy50</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somedude</i>

Opinion police? Not sure anyone wants to see me in a uniform. If you mean will I continue to speak my mind? Yeah. Is there some reason I can't have my opinions and express them too? Do I have to be on board with everyone in the forum? Do I have to agree with everyone's opinions? Do I have to give equal weight to all parties beliefs? NO, I don't - and I won't.

Anyway.... to back this up a bit as I didn't intend on this being a lets beat on Norrin Radd thing and I think that aside from one small detail we largely agree on the subject (and it wasn't even your post that I objected to in the first place);

It's up to the guy who's seeking an opinion to decide for himself who's worth listening to and who isn't. I don't think the forum should be policing who's allowed to comment and who isn't. If one guy says the clean channel sucks, 3 guys say it's alright but nothing special, and another 3 guys say it's great.... the dude will draw his own conclusions. Yeah, the guys who've owned it and gigged it should be taken more seriously, but it doesn't negate the opinion of the guy who's only tried it and didn't like it as I don't feel that someone should be required to own and gig an amp they don't like just so they can be qualified to comment on it on this forum.

IMO.

I can agree with <b>all</b> of that. NOW, let's go get a good BEER! I'm dying to try this one (and I found a store near me that carries it!):

OH YEAH: This beer is made by a forum member! :)

Fatty Boombalatty?

Best name for a drink I've ever heard.

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:21 am

Personally, I really dig the clean channel on my Rockerverb 50. Some may not..but some maybe playing through different cabs or tubes...but the way I use mine, the clean is damn good IMHO. Here's a clip of Little Wing to back it up.

http://www.patchWerkz.com/uploads/LittleWing.mp3

The loop is excellent and there is no tone loss, near as I can tell, when proper devices are used in the loop. By proper, I mean line-level devices (at least my Rocktron Replifex) works quite well in the loop w/o any loss of tone. Here is another clip in which I believe (it's quite old) I was using my Replifex.

http://www.patchwerkz.com/uploads/Rocke ... ow-Vol.mp3

As for cutting through the mix, I am absolutely certain there are "some mixes" it ain't gonna cut through. How well it will work is going to be a function of how loud/thoughtless the other guys in your band are. If they're extremely loud and essentially free of Alpha, Beta and Theta brain activity, you probably won't cut through. But if they're mature, dynamic players who listen to what is going on and are interested in making music as a team more than they are in being louder than the next guy, you'll be fine with this amp.

Kev
Rocker

Post by Kev » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:50 pm

I wasn't impressed with the RV50's clean but I would love to try it out with my own gear and with a bit more time. Happy? For the record asking for advice on something as subjective as this over the internet no less, is all about reading between the lines.