Orange AD140 AD=AMAZING DUDE LOL

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gimpymcsquibble

Post by gimpymcsquibble » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:49 am

Ok so I have had my AD140 for several months now, I've been too busy to post, I recently had some tube work done and some resistors fixed and such, and the amp sounds fabulous, I can't believe how anyone would not want this wonder.

And for the people on harmony central or other places saying it isn't loud, well I've had it cranked up all the way several times through my orange ppc 4x12 and things in my room started falling over eventually, at a point I got a noise complaint in my apartment complex because people in another building's walls were shaking, this was 2pm on a friday when I thought everyone was in class!!

Anyways its been moved to my bands practice space, but I just have to say it is a phenomenal amp, orange is amazing, but I have a quick question for anyone who may know this. I bought the amp used but I need to get it insured, I know we're not supposed to talk about prices and such but I need to know the replacement value for the amp, and when I search online for it I see a ton of different prices for the amp, mostly because its discontinued, and you know how some places like to mark up unique gear.

Does anyone know what oranges list price was for this amp when it came out?

Thanks in advance!!
-Michael
Orange AD140 HTC
Orange PPC 4x12 Cab
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul double cutaway
Taylor 110 Acoustic

www.michaelgrepp.org

Oranges and Lemons
Orange Hero

Post by Oranges and Lemons » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:27 am

You should be able to get it insured for however much you want. Your premium will be set according to how much coverage you want.
Flip

gigi
Tiny Terror

Post by gigi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am

Welcome to the AD140 fan club! ran it through PPC412 now with PPC212-COB, still happy with this gentle beast...

gimpymcsquibble

Post by gimpymcsquibble » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah I figured it out, I understand something can be insured for whatever, I'd just have an easier time proving to the insurance company that X thing was worth X value if I had a reference point to it, I'm not sure how my insurance plan works at the moment, but I do know some companies and plans make it more or less difficult proving the value and worth of something, so sticking closer to replacement value for new, things like that, works better at least so I don't have to "prove" the worth of something, it was just a problem I was trying to solve in foresight just in case my amp was stolen and the insurance company was trying to negate on the plan, just silly bulls--- I'm trying to avoid, I mean I remember reading on craigslist some idiot who was trying to sell some american strat or some crap he was claiming was worth 3 grand and had it insured for 3500, I don't even think it was a custom shop guitar, sigh.
Orange AD140 HTC
Orange PPC 4x12 Cab
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul double cutaway
Taylor 110 Acoustic

www.michaelgrepp.org

Rimnorezn
Tiny Terror

Post by Rimnorezn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm

One just sold on eBay a few days ago. I was watching the auction for fun. I can e-mail you the final price of the auction or a link to it if you want.
Orange AD30TC
www.sonicdeathray.com

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:33 am

i also have the AD140 i had to hunt for it long and hard and ended up having to shell out way above market value for it but it was worth every cent i luv this amp eventually i will get mine insured but not today
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:36 am

I got mine before they were discontinued. I love it! To all you who don't have one....suckas!
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:40 am

It's a discontinued amp. I paid $1869 for mine when they first came out.

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />It's a discontinued amp. I paid $1869 for mine when they first came out.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

'bout the same for me.

Forgot we can talk non-current production.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:18 am

Saw one for sale near me for $1500.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">And for the people on harmony central or other places saying it isn't loud, well I've had it cranked up all the way several times through my orange ppc 4x12 and things in my room started falling over eventually, at a point I got a noise complaint in my apartment complex because people in another building's walls were shaking<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Maybe that is the problem?
People on Harmony Central doesn't say it's not loud when played in their apartment, but when they're supposed to be heard over a loud drummer or in comparison with another loud amp i.e. any brand of amp at 100 watts.

Hell, I could get evicted with my ZVex Nano head if I played it flat out in my apartment. It's loud as hell, for being in here, but it would never work with a drummer.

David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:50 pm

i got mine for $1100 brand new off the bay, the best price ive ever seen it.. but then i had to pay for shipping from usa to australia and pay a s--- load of tax... still ended up saving over $1000AU

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:53 pm

There was on Austin's craigslist for $1200

somedude
Orange Hero

Post by somedude » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:57 pm

I should sell mine.... I don't use it anyway.

Les Paul -> Electric Amp 120w MV* -> Electric 4x12 + Orange 4x12

* or a 2-ch Dual Rectifier.. depending on how I feel.

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:52 am

I sold mine for way more than I paid for it (bought it for $950 used). Its all-right and is definitely british, but is a strange sounding head, to be frank. Seems like it would have a lot of bass but doesnt?