my new carbon copy is crapping out on me!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:28 pm

yeah my 3 week old CC has developed an issue where it doesn't allow a signal to pass through when i engage it. it doesn't do it all the time and i have isolated it to the pedal- all cables and power is good. when i stomp it, it'll light up but really mutes the signal to an almost inaudible level. turn it off signal goes back to normal, turn it on again and it works fine. it happened about 3 times last night in a 5 hour jam.

it is under warranty but, any ideas? i kind of need it.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Sounds like a loose contact or cracked trace inside it. If you're confident doing repairs, you might want to flip the back off and take a quick poke inside it to see if you can anything obviously loose (check the contacts with the switch for example), but to be honest, as it's under warranty, i'd just be taking it back to the shop and exchanging it.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:41 pm

i figured as much and i'm not an electrical wunderkind either. problem is i bought it online so that will be a painful turnaround AND i'm sending off my DL-4 tomorrow to be modified so i'd be out of a delay for a few weeks. i contacted dunlop so maybe they'll send a replacement before i have to ship them this unit. i'm not too happy about the problem occuring in a brand new pedal though. maybe it's time to get that space echo?

thanks for your help.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Yeah... doubt they'll give you one before they've got your unit back.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Post by Bentfinger » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 am

I went through 2 of them.. The 1st one was noisey, and then lost delay volume. The regen pot went out on the 2nd.. The guys at GC tried to say it was something that I was doing both times! Claimed that they never had any problems with mxr(bulshirt) I told them to read the reviews at harmony central if they didn't believe me. I like my dd-20, and Maxon ad9 better anyway..As soon as I sell of some of my old unused pedals, I going for the Time Factor
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"

nate33
Rocker

Post by nate33 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 am

i just got an mxr custom shop '74 phase 90 and was having the same problem.
however, mine worked when the back plate was off and would cut the signal when i put it back on.
in the end i got it to work but i sent it back anyway to get one hopefully without any issue.
i have heard dunlop is pretty good about stuff like this so good luck.

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:34 am

yeah i called music123 which is actually musiciansfriend and they were pretty cool. they wouldn't send another unless i paid for it and i've spent GOBS of money lately so no way.

anyway, again they were cool, they sent me a prepaid UPS lable and it'll go out and they said they'll 2nd day the replacement at no cost to me. bummer though, i JUST sent my DL-4 off for it's mods so now i'm delay-less or will be tomorrow.

about the CC- i do like it but, i'm not thrilled about how it reacts with my gain channel. it's almost non-existent, almost more like a chorus or reverb and i can't hear the delays too well. it is in the loop FWIW and my other effects sound fine including the DL-4. i'm thinking about trading it towards the space echo or selling it. shouldn't be too hard if it's new in the box. sounds great on the clean channel though but, i wanted it for my gain channel for some more crazy type post-metal type sounds.