Rocker

Post by guitartilldeath » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Tell me about the Berklee Mentality.
"You can't headbang on the clean channel."
Eddie

jizzle123
Orange Hero

Post by jizzle123 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 pm

my bestfriend is currently going there and i go visit him sometimes its a very very nice school all there equipment is top of the line you get 24 hour access to studios. basically he loves the school he says its very hard as you get loaded with home work and you are graded on how well you play but if you can do the work it will make you a great guitar player all the books are berklee books that are written by the teachers who use them. its an amazing school and its not cheap if you have the money and skills you can get far with a berklee education.

"I think our God isn't God if he fits inside our heads"

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guitartilldeath</i>
<br />Tell me about the Berklee Mentality.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

To be fair, I'm basing that on the people I encountered during and after college which was quite some time ago...

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:13 am

Oberlin Music Conservatory
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

polishdog90
Rocker

Post by polishdog90 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guitartilldeath</i>
<br />Did anyone here go there?

I just auditioned and December and I hope to get in.

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

my highschool photography teacher went to berklee. he once told the class the story of how he attended berklee, then toured in a band playing guitar and then he decided that he couldnt tour and play in a band forever and he wanted to get married. so he got married, had a kid, and is now a photography teacher at a public highschool in a dump of a town in california. not what i would have done with a berklee degree but whatever.
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

Sethery
Orange Hero

Post by Sethery » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:53 pm

One of my best friends Aric goes there, he can't say enough good things about it. BUT, get ready to be in debt for the rest of your life.
Love, Seth.
Orange PPC-212
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb dual rectifier
Rockerverb50H
PRS Custom 22 ten-top
Ibanez "law suit" Les Paul
Ibanez Jet King
Lots of Pedals (Gonkulator Ring Modulator is my favorite)
http://www.myspace.com/sethsoloproject
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27795172@N05/

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:59 pm

He probably rips on guitar.

The guy who did the show Home Movies was a Berklee grad.

Visited there with my son a couple year ago. Half the students are from outside the US. I was impressed. It is spread out in various buildings around a neighborhood in Boston.

A good friend of mine's son graduated from there a couple a years ago (see my recent thread on a REAL guitar hero). He get a great education. The list of who went there is like a who's who of music.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I went to Berklee back in 97-98. It was a blast and I learned tons, because until that point I was almost completely self-taught. Someone else had a similar thread a year or two ago. Basically, a school like Berklee is a huge opportunity and it depends on your choices and experiences how it works out for you. There are almost a dozen cutting edge recording studios, music synthesis labs, a music library of over 30,000 CDs, DVDs, and laserdiscs that will blow your freaking mind and a huge array of incredibly talented musicians.

Beware of some pitfalls. Drugs- Boston has more students per capita than any other in the US and there's a lot of substances that go around. There's borderline too many guitar players- over 2/3 of the student body. A lot of competition to go around too, especially if you're thinking of getting a scholarship. There's also very few girls at Berklee, but the Boston Conservatory's across the street if you don't mind stuck-up ballerinas.

If you can manage it, try to get into one of the summer programs- either the 5 week summer school or the 2 week guitar camp. I did the former before going and it was great and is a great way to figure out if you'd really want to go at a much lower cost than a full semester.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Or you can go the autodidact route and move to a normal city with musicians and just play with them.

Autodidact FTW. Saves money.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 am

I went to Northeastern which is just around the corner (literally) from Berklee and got to know a handful of Berklee kids. Mostly due to my ex-girlfriend. This is not a blanket statement, although I have met many people (a lot who go to Berklee themselves) that agree. There a lot (possibly/ likely the majority) of Berklee students who are so far up their own ass, it's tough to have a conversation with them. I could write a really vindictive, tasteless article or book on the group I most frequently hung out with. Out of about 12 or so of them, there were about 2.5 who were really good guys (with talent to back it up). The rest (and the revolving cast of characters that would come through their apartments) were all great musicians, sure, but were so socially inept and lacking tact, and let their talent pretty much define them in the worst ways possible.

I sound bitter, I know. And I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from wanting to go there. But I feel like it needs to be said that when you mix the already bizarre situation of college with the even more bizarre attitudes and psyches that result from being talented and being taught to be more talented, it gets really really weird. So, that's my warning. I didn't go there, and didn't study music performance anyway, but make sure that you're ready to - as others have said - wade through far too many aspiring guitar prodigies to get an education. And if you do end up going, I would recommend avoiding hanging out at the "Berklee Beach". It's pretty much a citywide joke.

polishdog90
Rocker

Post by polishdog90 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pacemaker</i>
<br />I went to Northeastern which is just around the corner (literally) from Berklee and got to know a handful of Berklee kids. Mostly due to my ex-girlfriend. This is not a blanket statement, although I have met many people (a lot who go to Berklee themselves) that agree. There a lot (possibly/ likely the majority) of Berklee students who are so far up their own ass, it's tough to have a conversation with them. I could write a really vindictive, tasteless article or book on the group I most frequently hung out with. Out of about 12 or so of them, there were about 2.5 who were really good guys (with talent to back it up). The rest (and the revolving cast of characters that would come through their apartments) were all great musicians, sure, but were so socially inept and lacking tact, and let their talent pretty much define them in the worst ways possible.

I sound bitter, I know. And I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from wanting to go there. But I feel like it needs to be said that when you mix the already bizarre situation of college with the even more bizarre attitudes and psyches that result from being talented and being taught to be more talented, it gets really really weird. So, that's my warning. I didn't go there, and didn't study music performance anyway, but make sure that you're ready to - as others have said - wade through far too many aspiring guitar prodigies to get an education. And if you do end up going, I would recommend avoiding hanging out at the "Berklee Beach". It's pretty much a citywide joke.

Haha what is the "Berklee Beach"?

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 pm

The Berklee Beach is the strip of Mass Ave. right outside of the main Berklee dorms/classrooms/ cafeteria where far too many Berklee kids loiter. It probably wouldn't be such a nuisance if it wasn't such a high traffic area.

I think it's referred to as a "beach" because all of the students are pale.

asteroid m
Orange Hero

Post by asteroid m » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I currently go to Berklee. Think about why exactly you want to come here. If you play guitar and arent someone who can improvise like Pat Metheny, then you probabaly wont get any money. In fact, I've heard they've capped the amount of guitar players allowed to enter the school since there are way too many. Think about what major you want to do here. If you just want to be a better guitar player, don't waste your time. If you want to work in audio or become a teacher, then its a good school because for some reason it has a good reputation as far as a music school goes.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 pm

I studied guitar from the VP of the sound engineering dept. at Berklee, but I studied classical from him at a different university at the time. If you are looking to study Jazz guitar Pedagogy The University of Texas/Austin is one of the better jazz programs around. They have a great classical program there as well.
Vince